Jump to content
Thailand Forum
webfact

No end in sight as Pattaya road remains a muddy heap

Recommended Posts

webfact    24,352

No end in sight as Pattaya road remains a muddy heap

 

5pm.jpg

Picture: Siamchon

 

PATTAYA: -- Siamchon reported on the state of the Porn Praphanimit Road after online videos were posted to the popular fan page "Mem Pho Dam".

 

Resurfacing and drainage work began in 2015 at a cost of nearly 60 million baht but two years down the line it is almost impossible to get through.

 

They said that residents and businesses in the Nong Preu area were suffering severe hardship.

 

The project was halted after a large pipe was "found" to be in the way. Lots of discussion had to take place to find a solution to the "obstacle".

 

Now with the rainy season monsoon in full swing work in the area seems to be slower than ever.

 

Siamchon said that the local authority are pressing the contractor responsible to get a move on but there is little evidence of any developments for the long suffering population in the area.

 

Source: Siamchon News

 
tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-07-14
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mikebell    2,700

Local authorities should be made legally responsible for loss of business due to bungling of major projects.  Even the simple things like making sure the road lights work seem s beyond the local teseban. I give you Sukhumvit road from Bang Saray to Pattaya.  Long stretches of this road are in the dark.  The place is teeming with motor bikes with no (rear) lights.  Only when a death prompts a comment on FB will anything get done.  Naturally there are no police after dark.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
smedly    15,229

how much of the 60m budget did they actually .......... oh never mind

 

Time to hand this job over to a contractor that is actually able to do the job instead of using someones uncle and their mates, worth noting that officials that were in office when this project started are no longer there - they got the boot 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kerryd    4,451

Absolutely crazy.

The "large diameter pipe" they encountered was a water pipe supplying a large section of the population in that area. They couldn't figure out how to bypass it and they can't touch it themselves because it is the Provincial Water Authorities responsibility.

So either the contractor has to try and re-route the drainage pipe somehow or the PWA has to reroute a major water pipe. 

It boggles the mind that this wasn't noticed until AFTER they had started digging !! Wholey Guacamoles TacoMan ! Even in Afghanistan if we laid any kind of pipe or cable into the ground we had to first get the Engineers to check that there were no other pipes/cables in the area (and plan around/over/under them if there were) and then had to have whatever new pipe/cable added to the master plan so that no one else would "accidentally" do something stupid like dig into a sewer line or a 4,000 volt power cable by mistake.

 

How they never noticed that there was a major water supply line intersecting their project beforehand should be incomprehensible but, you know.................

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dave67    1,315
1 hour ago, darksidedog said:

As I understand it, the contractor, who ran into some serious engineering problems, has run out of money within the budget and hence work has stopped. Given that is was apparently 58 Million for the entire project from the railway all the way to close to the lake, I am not surprised he can't finish in budget. It will be interesting to see how long it takes for the authorities to sort this utter disaster out and find the money to get work going again. They are damn lucky they aren't having to make compensation payments to the people whose businesses they are destroying. This level of incompetence even outstrips the Underpass.

Sounds like a complete lack of planning and inadequate pre-project survey. They shouldn't be using "Engineering probems" as a reason for failure to complete on time it just shows incompetence. Any decent clients commercial department would rip them apart. In the real world of course

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dave67    1,315
18 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

Absolutely crazy.

The "large diameter pipe" they encountered was a water pipe supplying a large section of the population in that area. They couldn't figure out how to bypass it and they can't touch it themselves because it is the Provincial Water Authorities responsibility.

So either the contractor has to try and re-route the drainage pipe somehow or the PWA has to reroute a major water pipe. 

It boggles the mind that this wasn't noticed until AFTER they had started digging !! Wholey Guacamoles TacoMan ! Even in Afghanistan if we laid any kind of pipe or cable into the ground we had to first get the Engineers to check that there were no other pipes/cables in the area (and plan around/over/under them if there were) and then had to have whatever new pipe/cable added to the master plan so that no one else would "accidentally" do something stupid like dig into a sewer line or a 4,000 volt power cable by mistake.

 

How they never noticed that there was a major water supply line intersecting their project beforehand should be incomprehensible but, you know.................

 

It boggles my mind that Thailand is attempting to build a High speed railway 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ChrisY1    7,632

A typical civil roadworks project as seen all over the country....a huge mess that never gets cleaned up...and the Authorities just think this is normal.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Asiantravel    3,532

is there anywhere in Pattaya right now that isn't a shambolic mess? they have destroyed the  whole area around Bali Hai and Dongtan beach all at the same time. Instead of finishing one project and moving onto the next they just destroy destroy

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Asiantravel said:

is there anywhere in Pattaya right now that isn't a shambolic mess? they have destroyed the  whole area around Bali Hai and Dongtan beach all at the same time. Instead of finishing one project and moving onto the next they just destroy destroy

kickbacks get distributed to start jobs. seems like there is no incentive to finish anything.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
joepattaya1961    698
6 hours ago, Dave67 said:

It boggles my mind that Thailand is attempting to build a High speed railway 

Please don't wake up sleeping dogs :sorry:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
garbolino    52
8 hours ago, mikebell said:

Local authorities should be made legally responsible for loss of business due to bungling of major projects.  Even the simple things like making sure the road lights work seem s beyond the local teseban. I give you Sukhumvit road from Bang Saray to Pattaya.  Long stretches of this road are in the dark.  The place is teeming with motor bikes with no (rear) lights.  Only when a death prompts a comment on FB will anything get done.  Naturally there are no police after dark.

you forgot NO REAR NUMBER PLATES and NO MIRRORS !!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
garbolino    52
7 hours ago, Dave67 said:

It boggles my mind that Thailand is attempting to build a High speed railway 

this is because one can not go down Siam Country club road....so have to use the High Speed rail line IF it ever gets started/finished !!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Joebuzz    92

Please note another article that points out that one job not open to foreigners is "engineering"!  Work with what you've got, make no progress, and you end up with what you had...a mess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

BANGKOK 24 September 2017 23:03
Sponsors
×