Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
webfact

Aussie victim blamed for his death by Thai parasailing men

I was surprised to read that the 2 guys are still in jail. I expected they would be back in business. I am also pleased to read that all these operators island wide have been suspended.

4 minutes ago, BradWilkins said:

Have been going to Thailand for 30 years and yes this line of thinking is fairly common among a lot of Thais. Particularly with some Authorities . If you werent here this wouldn't have happened sometimes comes into the equation. When it comes to deciding who is at fault. Strange but true.

Sorry, disagree.

23 minutes ago, Thaiwrath said:

There was a saying whenever a farang was involved in an unfortunate incident, for example, a car accident, that 

"If the farang wasn't here, it would never have happened, so it must be his fault" !

Unfortunately, quite a few Thais still believe in this theory !                                                    Have been going to Thailand for 30 years and yes this line of thinking is fairly common among a lot of Thais. Particularly with some Authorities . If you werent here this wouldn't have happened sometimes comes into the equation. When it comes to deciding who is at fault. Strange but true.

They said they had been operating for ten years without an accident.

Based on prior media reports, they also apparently had been operating entirely without any license or permit for their business.  So 10 years without ever being caught kind of shows you just how little safety enforcement is occurring out there.  It's the Wild West in Thailand.

BTW, am I the only one who thinks these guys look more like Africans than they do Thais???

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BradWilkins said:

Hard to believe part of the harness doesnt go down around under the groin, and that the Thai tandem steerer seems to be unrestrained.

The groin straps were being worn....quite clear in the preparation and take-off video....I also thought the same and looked a couple of times

• Like 2

He was clipped in then somehow was released or the clips failed. They are not on a quick release of any kind. Looks like equipment failure or harness failure.

Appeared to be bad sun damage

There was a few photos of the man just before the incident ,one showed the harness being fitted .The harness looked like it was made of old havasack material and didn't look like anything modern .As other people have said it should be impossible to accidentally open the harness .I did parasailing many years ago in Bali ,the same method from the beach but no one riding piggy back ,what is that all about .In my view the equipment was outdated and doing this from the beach sould be banned .

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Based on prior media reports, they also apparently had been operating entirely without any license or permit for their business.  So 10 years without ever being caught kind of shows you just how little safety enforcement is occurring out there.  It's the Wild West in Thailand.

BTW, am I the only one who thinks these guys look more like Africans than they do Thais???

Because they pay off the people with authority.

Because they work all day every day in the sun.

What would be surprising is if the two Thai guys said it was an accident or their fault.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Titan1962 said:

Sorry to see the death of any tourist here in Thailand. But when you live in or visit a country with very substandard regards towards life and safety, this sort of thing comes across as acceptable.Nothing will change,it's another day today and life goes on.

and death . . . and in the land of rebirth, the consequences are not as final. Are they?