glastoglen

UK settlement visa granted after on hold 3.5 months

we applied 17 April.  Biometrics BKK 27 April.  Docs confirmed received in Sheffield 4 May.

Taking 4 May as day one would mean we are on day 54. and waiting.

Very worried by hundreds of reports of backlog.  Sheffield simply cannot cope.

Glad to hear it worked out for the OP.  We've been waiting since 19th May (biometrics) via the 'priority' service. Looking on various boards, it seems decisions now come around the 60 working days mark, considerably slower since the process was moved to Sheffield. Best of luck to all waiting.

You think the UK is bad.. you should try the Spanish Embassy! Bloody Night

mare. Demanding documents to be legalized that are against EU law. We had to have the Police Clearance Documents Legalized ( another nightmare with Thai Police and Ministry Of Foreign Affairs IN Bkk) We live in Phuket and having to travel to Bkk every time they demand new requirements is expensive and against the Laws which they supposed to uphold. The problem is however is that you never see a Spaniard person but a Thai and they only know black and white... nothing else!!!!!

• Like 1

would be great to hear other experiences.  any one else here past Sheffield Day 50 and waiting

1 hour ago, MarkGB said:

Glad to hear it worked out for the OP.  We've been waiting since 19th May (biometrics) via the 'priority' service. Looking on various boards, it seems decisions now come around the 60 working days mark, considerably slower since the process was moved to Sheffield. Best of luck to all waiting.

which other boards? can you please share?  thanks

1 hour ago, RioMist said:

You think the UK is bad.. you should try the Spanish Embassy! Bloody Night

mare. Demanding documents to be legalized that are against EU law. We had to have the Police Clearance Documents Legalized ( another nightmare with Thai Police and Ministry Of Foreign Affairs IN Bkk) We live in Phuket and having to travel to Bkk every time they demand new requirements is expensive and against the Laws which they supposed to uphold. The problem is however is that you never see a Spaniard person but a Thai and they only know black and white... nothing else!!!!!

In the old days of real immigration officers at the British Embassy they also had Thai staff. I know from experience that some of the Thai staff, usually females, put their own interpretations on what the IO said, the tone used, and what was requested. 

It's unfortunate that we don't get to deal with people from our own country, who have been trained anymore. Britain outsources it. And as with all outsourced services something gets lost - usually customer service!

2 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

In the old days of real immigration officers at the British Embassy

Do you have any evidence for the Entry Clearance Officers being other than British? 

I very much doubt your claim that "real immigration officers" were ever deployed within the BE..........

7 minutes ago, perthperson said:

Do you have any evidence for the Entry Clearance Officers being other than British? 

I very much doubt your claim that "real immigration officers" were ever deployed within the BE..........

As the company that currently holds the contract is Indian I very much doubt all the staff are British. There were cases a few years back in which people complained that appeals were apparently being dealt with in the Philippines. Try doing your own research - there is this wonderful new thing called the internet and it has search engines. 

As for your doubts. Well who do you think did the job when it was carried out by British Immigration Officers based at the British Embassy Consulate section? 

I had close dealings with a head of section and several of his officers when based in India. But that was 15 years ago before things were outsourced.

So doubt all you want. Your ignorance is not for me to inform.

Edited by Baerboxer

alternatively we could attract posters who are in the current system as we have to abide with the system that has been set up for us - in Sheffield!

Any others here able to share CURRENT experience?

Just now, iancnx said:

alternatively we could attract posters who are in the current system as we have to abide with the system that has been set up for us - in Sheffield!

Any others here able to share CURRENT experience?

If you want to dictate what people post try staring your own website! 

Some are interesting on posting their own experiences like the Spanish gentleman. If you want private discussions try using the PM facility.

1 hour ago, iancnx said:

which other boards? can you please share?  thanks

Various links on the topic in this forum..

http://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/2017-uk-spouse-visa-timelines-892976/page25/ 

http://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/2017-uk-spouse-visa-timelines-part-ii-timelines-only-899214/#post12288993

http://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/chat-about-uk-spouse-visa-off-topic-posts-re-timeline-v-chat-threads-899282/

Wife is on a Facebook Group in Thai - called  'สะใภ้ยูเค (UK)' for women waiting for settlement  visas. Virtually no-one has one since the new system started in late April.

As the company that currently holds the contract is Indian I very much doubt all the staff are British. There were cases a few years back in which people complained that appeals were apparently being dealt with in the Philippines. Try doing your own research - there is this wonderful new thing called the internet and it has search engines. 

As for your doubts. Well who do you think did the job when it was carried out by British Immigration Officers based at the British Embassy Consulate section? 

I had close dealings with a head of section and several of his officers when based in India. But that was 15 years ago before things were outsourced.

So doubt all you want. Your ignorance is not for me to inform.

I can assure you all ECOs are British! Support staff can be other nationals but not the ECOs who make the actual decision.
  • Like 1

I can assure you all ECOs are British! Support staff can be other nationals but not the ECOs who make the actual decision.

Indeed, and the whilst support staff can be Thai, they play no part in the decision making process.

Likewise the Visa Application Centre is staffed by Thai staff, though the global company that has the contract to operate it is Indian, again the staff there play no part in the decision making process.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

As the company that currently holds the contract is Indian I very much doubt all the staff are British.

That company acts as a collection point/post box on behalf of the BE 

The company plays NO role in the decision making process which is the sole reserve of the ECO's.

• Like 1