Foozool

What is average price on higher land around Chiang Mai city skirt ?

46 posts in this topic

I would like to move to Chiang Mai sometime in future and if it is possible to build a small house somewhere not in Chiang Mai city since I can not afford that. I thought it would be better to look for somewhere in smaller towns/city around Chiang Mai city if I can find in affordable price range.

I have lived total of 3 months in Chiang Mai, but I feel I know nothing about it especially out skirt of the city. What I need is about 1/2 Rai on somewhat higher than flood zone. I understand that city water is not available everywhere. I appreciate if anyone knows about cost of well drill.  

A foreigner can't "own land"
you can get a 30 year lease or in some cases a (your) lifetime right to
use the land which can't be passed onto heirs.

1 person likes this

I don't know if you can just scale linearly off of the land and house sizes but here's one data point. After shopping around for about a year, we bought a 350 sqm house in a gated moo baan in Saraphi on 150 Sq wah of land for 7.5M baht. That's about 10 or 12 km from the center of CM city and I don't think that it flooded there even in 2011.

The cost of drilling a well should be the least of your worries.    Land prices vary considerably.   For half a rai near the city, you are looking at 2-3m baht minimum.   Further out varies in what direction you go, North, East or South of the city.    Building lots that are ready to build are almost non-existent.  Except in an established moo ban, but then you may not be able to purchase a land plot and build your own house plans.    

Once you are here again, take time to look at all options.     You may end up not wanting to build and just rent a place.

1 person likes this

If you like high ground, which is wise...check out west of the Canal Rd, South of CMU...it gets surprisingly rural pretty fast.  I would say 20,000 per TW...just isn't much available.  Right across the street from CMU..200,000 per TW.  I would look in the Old City...there are still some hidden areas ripe for development...maybe 20, but possibly closer to 30 per TW....and on the moat 175-250.  You will get more appreciation with infill.  You will always be competing with new builds on the outskirts, and the Thais frequently prefer new builds.  You could sell 10 beat up townhouses in the old city quicker than one house in San Sai.  Old City doesn't seem to flood.

3 hours ago, Dante99 said:

Don't bother thinking about buying land until you have lived in CM longer and know a lot about it.

Thanks for your helpful advice. 

2 hours ago, johng said:

A foreigner can't "own land"
you can get a 30 year lease or in some cases a (your) lifetime right to
use the land which can't be passed onto heirs.

I already know that, my question was different. Thankl you

2 people like this

a  good alternative, is  a second hand house ,where from your inspecctions the water is taken care of plus  there are loads on the market , on all points of the compass

presently it is a buyers market bigtime,and perhaps you can pick up a firesale on a property that is in your price range and liking ,and therfore  no need to test your nerves on new build etc etc

best of luck, early evening to all

a  good alternative, is  a second hand house ,where from your inspecctions the water is taken care of plus  there are loads on the market , on all points of the compass
presently it is a buyers market bigtime,and perhaps you can pick up a firesale on a property that is in your price range and liking ,and therfore  no need to test your nerves on new build etc etc
best of luck, early evening to all

Absolutely agree with looking for a second hand house rather than building a new one. That can be frustrating too because while it is a buyer's market by any standard there are a lot of sellers who don't price their houses sensibly and are willing to let them sit in the market for years. But dealing with that type of irrationality, and with the possibility that the seller might be hiding problems with the house, is a lot easier than dealing with contractors who might screw up or run away with your money before the house is finished.
1 person likes this

Thanks for your helpful advice. 

That is good advice.
1 person likes this

9 hours ago, suzannegoh said:

Absolutely agree with looking for a second hand house rather than building a new one. That can be frustrating too because while it is a buyer's market by any standard there are a lot of sellers who don't price their houses sensibly and are willing to let them sit in the market for years. But dealing with that type of irrationality, and with the possibility that the seller might be hiding problems with the house, is a lot easier than dealing with contractors who might screw up or run away with your money before the house is finished.

if the O/P takes our tip,  and looks at a second hand houses etc etc , the price tag asked by the owner/real estate agent its a fair bet its up to  one third over  the odds , C/MAI  real estate agents (apart from a select few)are a bunch of  Galahs ,  and thats putting it mildly , E/S  strongly advises the O/P  to look for a private  sale, where  you will find more common ground to secure  a  good buy etc etc 

its a steer clear of real estate agents ,good morning to all

2 people like this

32 minutes ago, Puwa said:

Honestly though, I would recommend investing a lot more time in getting to know Chiang Mai before making a commitment.

Well said.

ID: 15   Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, Puwa said:

Follow the old rule of thumb: never pay more than 1M baht for land, which gets you a half rai in the foothills at 5k/tw.  But even that is on the high end for totally undeveloped land.

in most parts of Maerim foothills (apart from  moobaans) to my knowledge you will be lucky to buy such a small plot (1/2 RAI)which the O/P is asking for,and in addition full channote title deeds,(red garuda) in some villiages  are as scarce as hen,s teeth,,  largely due to  Govt Depts being your next immediate next  door  neighbour,and a raft of other reasons

undeveloped land in the  Huay Sai district Maerim,  owners are  asking  to 10k /tw or 4 mil a rai plus ( full channote red garuda), other parts of Maerim  more,,  these days Maerim District undeveloped land ,(full channote or Nor  Sor Sam 3 Khor green garuda) finding a plot and for 1 mil is indeed a difficult task

a beautiful Maerimite mid morning to all

Edited by evenstevens