Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
Adbro1

Cheap beer deals?

4 hours ago, amexpat said:

Yep, since Putin and the gang took over a lot of people are drinking more.

What about that liquor store on Neiman where you take your purchase to tables in front of the store and watch the world go by?

Is it still operating?  I don't get to the hi-so part of town much anymore. 

I think KKK already answered this obliquely, but to be clear, the bottle shop with the tables and pretties is now a MacDonalds.  A huge step down.

Fun places on Nimmanhamin have been dropping like flies, it isn't what it used to be.  But there are still some options in Chiang Mai.

I'll expand on the options stuff tomorrow, I've been out doing research. However I've got to ask, to all those who suggest someone on holiday in Thailand spend his evenings in the food court of Kad Suan Kaew; seriously?

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the replies,really helpful.

I should add because of budget constraints i am sticking to Thai beer.

I probably wouldn't  drink the stuff at home but imported beer is just to pricey in Thailand.

I've been to Beer Republic and Number 1 bar because i missed porters,wheat beers and IPA's but 200-300baht for small bottles of beer is too much of a luxury for me.

Are there any Thai made IPA's ,wheat beers or stout/porters?

Also,where can i buy Beer Lao at reasonable price(i hear this is better than the Thai beers) and whats U-Beer like?

Edited by Adbro1
  • Like 1

>>Also,where can i buy Beer Lao at reasonable price<<

At MaeSai on the Burmese side .The best beer i have found ,that's brewed in Thailand is Federbrau .Its around B65 a large bottle at Tesco/Lotus Express .Its brewed according to the German Purity laws ,and they import the grain to make it .Has a great taste .Some bars may stock it ?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, stubuzz said:

I am sure that any kind of beer advertising or promotion was banned a few years back.

True, and we all know how strict Thailand is on enforcing laws.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Adbro1 said:

Thanks for the replies,really helpful.

I should add because of budget constraints i am sticking to Thai beer.

I probably wouldn't  drink the stuff at home but imported beer is just to pricey in Thailand.

I've been to Beer Republic and Number 1 bar because i missed porters,wheat beers and IPA's but 200-300baht for small bottles of beer is too much of a luxury for me.

Are there any Thai made IPA's ,wheat beers or stout/porters?

Also,where can i buy Beer Lao at reasonable price(i hear this is better than the Thai beers) and whats U-Beer like?

My views are similar...there is no reason to drink piss, and there is no reason to get extorted on import taxes.  Heineken and Tiger are both brewed outside of Bangkok.  And you will notice the Heineken's never exposed to light won't taste sour unlike some of the 7 and Tesco stock.  I can buy Guiness in Virginia for 50 THB per bottle....they are even going to start brewing it in Maryland.  It's pretty good, but I sure ass fookin hell am not paying 200 for one here.  I refuse the cigar extortions, too.  

Edited by KhonKaenKowboy
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Chiengmaijoe said:

True, and we all know how strict Thailand is on enforcing laws.

there is even a product placement of Beer Chiang in the latest Spiderman movie that they forgot to censor :shock1:

• Like 1

Just a heads up for ''CHEERS BEER'' .Around B45 for a Large bottle at Tesco Lotus Express and quite acceptable to me at least .

The OP did state that he was interested in bars, not buying beers in a store.

Two places that I like are Oxide, which has large Asahi for 85 baht. https://www.facebook.com/OxidePubChiangmai/   

And No-Bar, which has large Leo for 80 or 85 baht.  https://www.facebook.com/nobarcnx/   

These aren't the cheapest bars in Chiang Mai, though they are cheaper than the tourist places.  I like the ambience in these places.  They aren't hooker bars, but service is attentive and friendly.  English skills are low, and there aren't many westerners, but I don't mind.

What is up at T Bar?  Quite a few pretties in there, but warm beer city.  It just ruins everything when you are going out specifically for several beers.

• Like 1

Cheap beer. I remember talking about that about 40 years ago. But I do get the topic as recently read about how few males get through adolescence.

On 7/16/2017 at 10:53 AM, NancyL said:

Why not order a beer tower while you're grooving to the Elvis band at Kad Suan Kaew?  Life doesn't get any better than this in Chiang Mai.

Beer tower.jpg

Life doesn't get any better than this????? That is a "shit the bed" scarey comment...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bill97 said:

Cheap beer. I remember talking about that about 40 years ago. But I do get the topic as recently read about how few males get through adolescence.

Paying more doesn't make it any better.  Drinking more of it usually does.  What is the average British pension?  20,000 THB +/-.  Most are on a budget, or they won't be living here long.  Even in snob laden Hua Hin, there is a booming business in retirement visas for the destitute...I heard it is down to 18,000...Perhaps, sitting on the edge of a busy intersection will give you the desired prestige.  I would call this a "foam sampler."  600 THB??  maybe more?  https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293917-d3791445-Reviews-or10-Beer_Republic-Chiang_Mai.html#photos;geo=293917&detail=3791445&ff=249409690&albumViewMode=hero&aggregationId=101&albumid=101&baseMediaId=249409690&thumbnailMinWidth=50&cnt=30&offset=-1&filter=7

• Like 1