Adbro1

Cheap beer deals?

55 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, NancyL said:

This is the appeal of a beer tower.  The beer is around a central ice core, but doesn't get diluted.  

Another good idea -- when we visited Siem Reip, I asked for ice for my beer and after a moment of puzzlement, the waitress brought an ice bucket and put the bottle of Angkor on ice like it was a bottle of champagne.  The French taught them something, I suppose.

Beer towers are nice for groups, but a bit much for one or two people.  The beer will stay cold, but will get flat if not drunk quickly.

The solution employed in Siem Reap would be ideal if we could get bars to do that here.

6 minutes ago, heybruce said:

Do you bring clean plastic bags or sealed, weighted plastic containers that fit into a beer glass with you when you go out?

Obviously!:partytime2:

1 hour ago, scottiejohn said:

Obviously!:partytime2:

Happy that works for you.  You put a little more effort into your beer than I do, my focus is on finding places with friendly pretties.  I'll stick with putting ice in my bland beerwater.

1 person likes this

14 hours ago, Adbro1 said:

I have no qualms about drinking in a Thai bar/restaurant,I'm still fairly new to Chiang Mai and Thailand so 'people watching' still has an appeal to me.I've been to Tawangdang a couple of times and found it fascinating.

Not so sure what the Thai's think of a lonely farang drinking in their bars though? 

Depends on where. I regularly see farangs in the strip of restaurants/ bars opposite side of the river to Kad Luang north of the footbridge, sometimes alone, sometimes with friends. JJ Market you will stand out like a sore thumb...but there's some really good music places along that strip as well, Little Rock has a band that does decent 90s farang music covers for example. 

All that said though, as long as you're minding your own business, spending money and not causing trouble I don't think they'd even give you a stray thought let alone care. 

There is another thing that can be said for Thai places vs farang focused ones as well - the service in Thai owned places is nearly always impeccable, be it that in say a Thai bar with a Chang girl the reason they keep topping up the beer and ice for you is because they want you to buy more...but who am I to complain, besides it's nice "people watching" :)

1 person likes this

ID: 50   Posted (edited)

On 7/19/2017 at 11:35 AM, NancyL said:

This is the appeal of a beer tower.  The beer is around a central ice core, but doesn't get diluted.  

Another good idea -- when we visited Siem Reip, I asked for ice for my beer and after a moment of puzzlement, the waitress brought an ice bucket and put the bottle of Angkor on ice like it was a bottle of champagne.  The French taught them something, I suppose.

French ? Bah humbug...., dear lady, let me introduce you to the truth of this particular improvisation..., if it's beer and it's buried in ice, it's the Aussie way. :wai:
I'll wait patiently on the side over there >>>>>>
to be either shot down..., or introduced to an alternative truth.

Edited by Sandy Freckle
1 person likes this

If you took a whiff of the beer tower, before it was filled, and it didn't smell like my fraternity house on a Sunday afternoon; I would personally be surprised.  Mai krap.

Just out of interest, what quantity of beer was in said Tower ?
I said 'quantity'.

1 hour ago, Sandy Freckle said:

I said 'quantity'.

Probably 3 liters...a bit less than five large.  

2 hours ago, Sandy Freckle said:

I said 'quantity'.

44 minutes ago, KhonKaenKowboy said:

Probably 3 liters...a bit less than five large.  

Since this is a cheap beer topic, I'll point out that beer towers aren't always cheaper than bottles, and often are considerably more expensive.  I think their biggest selling point is they look cool.  It pays to do the math.

ID: 55   Posted (edited)

11 minutes ago, heybruce said:

Since this is a cheap beer topic, I'll point out that beer towers aren't always cheaper than bottles, and often are considerably more expensive.  I think their biggest selling point is they look cool.  It pays to do the math.

Agreed, and I live by doing those kinds of calcs...I have never bought a tower in my life....pitchers a different story.  At club cafe they had bottles of Tigers for 65, large, and people would routinely pay 170 for a one litre jug.  I pointed this out...responses were anywhere from don't care to OMG, face palm, why didn't they tell me.  One dollar bud longnecks two blocks from the Whitehouse..budlights were 3.50....you would be amazed.

Edited by KhonKaenKowboy