stupidfarang

New Immigration Rule???

90 posts in this topic

ID: 1   Posted

Hi

Has anyone come across this "New Rule"????

Was at the local Chumphon Immigration office recently to report that I was back in Thailand after being away overseas for a month. (am on a retirement visa), a friend was there renewing his yearly retirement visa for another year (has lived here for 15 years) and he was told that there is a new rule where if you go away and stay in a hotel or resort (in Thailand, i.e a weekend break or a holiday in Thailand) then you must report to immigration when you get back along with the house owner to say you are back. They even showed him on the computer a list of hotels he had stayed at over the past. 

Has anyone else come across this in the past couple of months?

ID: 2   Posted

Old rule new re-enforcement.

ID: 3   Posted

OP  

FYI 

You(?) and your friend have extensions of stay based on retirement. Extensions of stay are NOT visas.

1 person likes this

ID: 4   Posted

It is just a office being very pedant about TM30 reporting. Unless you change your permanent residence there is no requirement to do a new one after staying in hotel because they reported you.

Most offices would not go into a special database for TM30 reporting to find out you stayed in a hotel.

2 people like this

ID: 5   Posted

2 hours ago, stupidfarang said:

and stay in a hotel or resort

heard something some time back that guesthouses were exempt from this , cant see why , but is it true ?

ID: 6   Posted

Just now, YetAnother said:

heard something some time back that guesthouses were exempt from this , cant see why , but is it true ?

Not true !   All hotels and guest houses are required to notify immigration of their foreign guests arrival - 

ID: 7   Posted

15 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It is just a office being very pedant about TM30 reporting. Unless you change your permanent residence there is no requirement to do a new one after staying in hotel because they reported you.

Most offices would not go into a special database for TM30 reporting to find out you stayed in a hotel.

What special database?

ID: 8   Posted

Just now, Tanoshi said:

What special database?

Another database that is not the main one that your record is kept in. A TM30 report is not shown in it.

ID: 9   Posted

Just now, Tanoshi said:

What special database?

The one maintained by local immigration offices which records TM30 reports from hotels/guest houses. Many of these businesses report online (or did -- the system is not currently available! )

1 person likes this

ID: 12   Posted (edited)

12 minutes ago, terminatorchiangmai said:

Did this at Chiang mai immigration when i came back from a long weekend on Koh Samed .

They where asking me what do you want us to do ?

Only needed if you have a new arrival / departure card is what to told me,.

Looks like every officer and office has its own rules.

They should be making it clear for everyone, same rules apply everywhere.

But I do gather that Chiang Mai are pedantic in the sense that they insist on a fresh TM30 being filed each time one returns to LOS from a trip to foreign pastures, even to the same address as before. Ditto Jomtien.

The OP might therefore wish to check whether Chumpon are similarly pedantic in this regard, particularly if he has any imminent plans for foreign travel.

Edited by OJAS

10 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Another database that is not the main one that your record is kept in. A TM30 report is not shown in it.

There is only the old and the new database systems.

Just now, DavisH said:

I think the same applies if you go to another province for more than 24 hours (and stay with friends/family and not in a hotel). Personally, I've never bothered with that and not sure how it could be enforced. As for hotels, my wife usually books it and they have never asked for my name to do the TM30. 

That is not he same reporting nor the same section of the immigration act. It is one that is not enforced since there is no way it could be enforced. 

There are couple of rogue offices that have fined people based upon that section for not doing a TM30 report.

1 person likes this

Just now, Tanoshi said:

There is only the old and the new database systems.

I think somebody has given you some bogus information. Immigration certainly has more than one database that info is stored in.

1 person likes this