Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
webfact

Thai govt brushes off call to test the quality of rice stocks

4 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

I really don't understand why you brought that up. All those you mentioned are now materials for court cases and the court will rule on those charges. I don't see the court intervening and force the military to open the warehouse and call for the quality test. That my friend is true fear that alleged corruption would be exposed. The military always fix up their problems by intimidation and friendly courts.  

I brought that up in response to your post about an admission of guilt about the current government

A few mind readers and rice experts are foaming at the top.

How many rice storage areas are there in Thailand? Anyone want to guess?

25 minutes ago, Chris Lawrence said:

A few mind readers and rice experts are foaming at the top.

How many rice storage areas are there in Thailand? Anyone want to guess?

Many.

Possible corruption could be selling rice for feed (saying it is real bad while itis not) and then selling it to humans for a higher price. But if that is the case it would be easy to prove by testing the rice sold for feed.. that should be easily done ? If that was the case the PTP guy could have done the same as the Democrat under YL (the one that got threatened for theft for exposing rotting rice) and get a sample and show its good rice ?

As for the other rice... so much is stored over so many places with so many differences in storage facilities that is real hard to assess quality. It could be done but I thought it was done already. People saying the report was not released.. not sure about that but we can be sure it was not released in English and we can also be sure that reporters here are not as good as in the west. So it might well be released and we just dont know about it. 

2 hours ago, robblok said:

Many.

Possible corruption could be selling rice for feed (saying it is real bad while itis not) and then selling it to humans for a higher price. But if that is the case it would be easy to prove by testing the rice sold for feed.. that should be easily done ? If that was the case the PTP guy could have done the same as the Democrat under YL (the one that got threatened for theft for exposing rotting rice) and get a sample and show its good rice ?

As for the other rice... so much is stored over so many places with so many differences in storage facilities that is real hard to assess quality. It could be done but I thought it was done already. People saying the report was not released.. not sure about that but we can be sure it was not released in English and we can also be sure that reporters here are not as good as in the west. So it might well be released and we just dont know about it. 

I think its about 2200? Just trying to find the figure.

Have a look at these report: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rice_production_in_Thailand

http://www.knowledgebank.irri.org/step-by-step-production/postharvest/storage#guidelines-for-safe-storage

http://www.thaiworldview.com/lao/isan6.htm

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/business/EconomyAndTourism/30316667

The General wants all old stocks gone, as reported in the Nation. 

Its also sad that the rice farmers are not really benefiting from this process. In 2001 the third report I listed gives an insight to the Farmers in Isan. Abt 21 million people back then. Then again the farmers were protected up until 1985. They lost Government guarantees. The outcome was that it got the younger people more mobile and out of the area.

Its a terrible thing that has happened to the farmers and their lives and wellbeing of families. The OP is only a snapshot of problems. You need to go into the history of what has happened. 

To test the rice left may help in determine a value of what has been left behind. It may also help to establish where the rice has come from.

Maybe the General is right? Just get rid of it.

Posted (edited)

You guys seem to be missing the point. According to The Nation article, most of the rice that the government has been selling lately has NOT been being sold for human consumption at higher prices, but instead, for animal feed and other purposes at lower prices.

The last inventory of 2.87 million tonnes has been in the process of being sold, consisting of 167,000 tonnes of rice for people’s consumption, 2.14 million tonnes for feedmill, and 568,000 tonnes for the energy sector.

Frankly, I'd rather they did NOT try to sell out old moldy, chemical infused rice at higher wholesale prices for that sub-par quality product to be bagged and passed along to consumers masquerading as decent rice.

Yes, the current government may be taking a loss on the current/recent sales, because they're left with tons and tons of old rice that really probably isn't largely fit for human consumption. So what other choice do they have other than to sell it at cut prices for animal feed and other non-human purposes?

If there's something wrong with all this, I'm not seeing what it is.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

2 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

You guys seem to be missing the point. According to The Nation article, most of the rice that the government has been selling lately has NOT been being sold for human consumption at higher prices, but instead, for animal feed and other purposes at lower prices.

Frankly, I'd rather they did NOT try to sell out old moldy, chemical infused rice at higher wholesale prices for that sub-par quality product to be bagged and passed along to consumers masquerading as decent rice.

Yes, the current government may be taking a loss on the current/recent sales, because they're left with tons and tons of old rice that really probably isn't largely fit for human consumption. So what other choice do they have other than to sell it at cut prices for animal feed and other non-human purposes?

If there's something wrong with all this, I'm not seeing what it is.

The issue here is not that rotten rice may be sold for human consumption. The issue is that the rice sold as rotten may not be rotten. Two possible explanations come to mind. One is that it may allow the company buying the rice to make extra profits and give a cut to people involved in the deal. Another is that it contributes to the bad image of the rice scheme.

It makes sense to think that the PPT has connections in the rice business and may have got reliable information before raising this objection.

6 hours ago, candide said:

The issue here is not that rotten rice may be sold for human consumption. The issue is that the rice sold as rotten may not be rotten. Two possible explanations come to mind. One is that it may allow the company buying the rice to make extra profits and give a cut to people involved in the deal. Another is that it contributes to the bad image of the rice scheme.

It makes sense to think that the PPT has connections in the rice business and may have got reliable information before raising this objection.

Yep, that's certainly possible...

But is there any actual evidence of that? And moreover, how long now has the unsold YL rice scam rice been sitting in warehouses since its original harvest??? Not exactly this year's crop anymore.

• Like 1