webfact

UK government sees need for phased Brexit - finance minister

29 posts in this topic

ID: 16   Posted (edited)

8 hours ago, Krataiboy said:

Yeah, but. . . 

If the original referendum decision is reversed, can we then have another and make it the best of three?

Where will it end?

If you daft enough simply to rely on the soundbite politics spewed out by BOTH sides in the run-up to the referendum, instead of doing your own research into the key issues involved, then frankly you deserve whatever dreadful fate you now imagine awaits you.

So do the rest of the Remoaners.

Escaping the clutches of the EU oligarchy is the vital first step towards making Britain great again. That is why we told Obama to butt out when he flew in to try and to swing the vote the globalists' way. 

Now we need to do the same with the weasel politicians seeking to undermine the will of the people expressed through a referendum with the biggest turnout in our history.

Otherwise,   we might as well stop pretending we are a democracy!

I don't want to be in a numptiarchy!

Edited by Grouse

36 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

As always that question seems to be ignored by the Brexiteers.  Depressing as I guess they can't come up with anything positive about Brexit either.  Not just on here though, it is the same wherever you ask it these days.

Well done dunroaming! Have a large Scotch on me. Grouse of course!

2 people like this

7 hours ago, champers said:

Headline should read:

"Finance Minister positions himself to take over as PM to replace Theresa May."

He is a backstabbing, self-serving opportunist, if you are cynical. The left wing candidate in the Tory party. Him or Boris. Some choice.

Could be worse, could be Rudd!

1 person likes this

ID: 19   Posted (edited)

4 hours ago, Retiredandhappyhere said:

DUNROAMING SAID:

"The British public was so disillusioned by her ill advised manifesto and Brexit handling that they gave her a bloody nose and took away her majority in the house".

However, the British electorate were NOT  "so disillusioned" as to vote the Tories out and the Labour party in.   In all the self-inflicted chaos that you describe, the Tories and Mrs May still won the election, admittedly with a reduced majority, but where exactly was the "victory" that so many of the opposition parties seem to be claiming? 

Not much is being said about the SNP's  much larger losses in Scotland, whereas I am sure that Nicola Sturgeon would have welcomed the kind of "bloody nose" that Theresa May endured.   

Sturgeon was interviewed after the election and did exactly that. She stated she'd won the election in Scotland, still the party with the most seats for Scotland. Completely downplayed the loss of seats.

Her supporters, including some who post on TVF do the same.

Politicians like May and Sturgeon have thick hides, and will say black is white and white is black when it suits. As long as they cling on they aren't bothered because tomorrow's another day. Just like Corbyn keeps pretending he won and asking to be allowed to take over - he lost, but as he lost his connection to reality years ago he doesn't think so.

Meanwhile May, Davies, Johnson and all the Tory cabinet continue to stumble their way through, clueless.

Edited by Baerboxer

5 minutes ago, vogie said:

I honestly don't think the brexiters are ignoring you, but unlike you they are probably sick of repeating themselves?

Really? Because with recent events their points have all been dismissed or aren't going to happen now.  Please feel free to prove me wrong somebody and tell us all the reasons why brexit is such a good idea!  I won't hold my breath.

I take your point about me banging on about it but I promise as soon as someone comes up with a valid argument I will stop.  So far it is always the same inane response of "We voted to leave so we are leaving" or "brexit means brexit".  Even May has given up on that one now.

2 people like this

4 hours ago, dunroaming said:

Really? Because with recent events their points have all been dismissed or aren't going to happen now.  Please feel free to prove me wrong somebody and tell us all the reasons why brexit is such a good idea!  I won't hold my breath.

I take your point about me banging on about it but I promise as soon as someone comes up with a valid argument I will stop.  So far it is always the same inane response of "We voted to leave so we are leaving" or "brexit means brexit".  Even May has given up on that one now.

Yep! Four hours  later and not a word from the Brexit boys.  

2 people like this

5 hours ago, dunroaming said:

That we will eventually become a vassall state of Germany if we remain is a one thousand percent good enough reason all of it's own. That we will no longer be committing the cardinal business sin of putting all our eggs in one basket when we leave is another reason worthy all on it's own. That we can start to get back our national identity and put our insidious liberal left 'Britishness-haters' (think: Macgregor Marshall et-al) back on the extreme fringes where they belong is also another bloody good reason :thumbsup:.

ID: 25   Posted (edited)

On 7/17/2017 at 0:17 PM, Krataiboy said:

Yeah, but. . . 

If the original referendum decision is reversed, can we then have another and make it the best of three?

Where will it end?

If you daft enough simply to rely on the soundbite politics spewed out by BOTH sides in the run-up to the referendum, instead of doing your own research into the key issues involved, then frankly you deserve whatever dreadful fate you now imagine awaits you.

So do the rest of the Remoaners.

Escaping the clutches of the EU oligarchy is the vital first step towards making Britain great again. That is why we told Obama to butt out when he flew in to try and to swing the vote the globalists' way. 

Now we need to do the same with the weasel politicians seeking to undermine the will of the people expressed through a referendum with the biggest turnout in our history.

Otherwise,   we might as well stop pretending we are a democracy!

I agree with a lot of your post, but think a referendum on the final agreement is a good idea - as long as it includes the option -  'leave - WTO rules to apply'.

This option will concentrate the minds of both Brit. and EU politicians to 'come up' with an agreement that is acceptable to the Brit. electorate and EU politicians :smile:.

With a bit of luck it would also encourage the EU to reform the most disliked policies/practices/waste/over-paid politicians and bureaucrats etc. -  which are unpopular amongst a large percentage of the electorate of 'paying' countries! 

If the EU is able to dramatically reform itself, the Brit. electorate are far more likely to vote remain as the favoured option.  Sadly, I can't see this happening as the power/money hungry politicians/bureaucrats enjoy the way things are currently arranged - as it benefits them personally :sad:.

Back on topic - champer  (IMO) is correct when he points out that the "Finance Minister positions himself to take over as PM to replace Theresa May. He is a backstabbing, self-serving opportunist".

Edit - And of course, a remain advocate....

Edited by dick dasterdly

ID: 26   Posted (edited)

17 hours ago, dunroaming said:

As always that question seems to be ignored by the Brexiteers.  Depressing as I guess they can't come up with anything positive about Brexit either.  Not just on here though, it is the same wherever you ask it these days.

Why keep repeating this question when those who voted leave (or have strong reservations about various aspects of the EU) keep pointing out why they think the EU is seriously flawed and (those who voted leave) have also repeatedly pointed out why they think it was the best option?

Edited by dick dasterdly
1 person likes this

11 hours ago, Khun Han said:

That we will eventually become a vassall state of Germany if we remain is a one thousand percent good enough reason all of it's own. That we will no longer be committing the cardinal business sin of putting all our eggs in one basket when we leave is another reason worthy all on it's own. That we can start to get back our national identity and put our insidious liberal left 'Britishness-haters' (think: Macgregor Marshall et-al) back on the extreme fringes where they belong is also another bloody good reason :thumbsup:.

If those are the most important reasons for Brexit we should obviously remain! Game over! No contest!

A while ago I post the first 42 good things about the EU 🙂

10 minutes ago, Grouse said:

If those are the most important reasons for Brexit we should obviously remain! Game over! No contest!

A while ago I post the first 42 good things about the EU 🙂

A meaningless repost, with no substance.

'Arguments' as to why the EU needs serious reform have been posted time and time again - but for some reason (roll eyes), not considered 'reasons to leave/advantages to leaving' by remainers.....

17 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

We are the world's oldest democracy. And the world's oldest representative democracy.

Referendums, that were repeatedly described as "consultative, to test public opinion, advisory" when transitioning through parliament to enactment, are not normally part of a representative democracy.

This is the most important decision the UK has taken since voting to join the then Common Market. And yet the highly paid and remunerated, cossetted, privileged people we elect to representative passed the book and put them to referendums. Scandalous and willful avoidance of duty.

So yes, the way things are going, we can stop pretending we're a representative democracy.

Our government called a referendum on leaving the EU because:-

- it was a political 'hot potato' as it became ever more obvious that the percentage of the electorate 'unhappy' (for various reasons) with the EU was increasing.

- UKIP were gaining more support, resulting in divisions within the tory party.

- The government were sure the referendum result would easily be to remain - hence Cameron declaring that the referendum result would be respected, with no 'changing the status quo' margin required.

As it turned out, the government miscalculated badly and proved they had lost touch with the electorate.  A good reason to not always rely entirely on parliamentary democracy!