webfact

Thousands raised for Troy Markides to return to Australia after horror accident on Kho Phangan

37 posts in this topic

ID: 1   Posted

Thousands raised for Troy Markides to return to Australia after horror Thailand accident

By Liz Burke

424d6dee553a9a599d9be4b56629e0a1.jpg

Troy Markides was badly injured in a scooter accident last week and had to wait more than 26 hours to receive emergency surgery to save his leg.

A MELBOURNE couple’s dream holiday has turned into a nightmare as the young pair face months stuck in Thailand after a horror scooter accident.

Troy Markides, 29, and girlfriend Katie Van der End, 21, were on holiday after investing in a bakery franchise in Victoria, and had intended to spend their time celebrating and relaxing before the next busy chapter of their lives.

But last week, while riding a hired scooter on popular party island Kho Phangan, the couple crashed in an accident that saw Ms Van der End left with facial injuries and Mr Markides with severe injuries to his leg. He dislocated his knee, tore three ligaments and crushed the main artery in his leg.

Full story: http://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-updates/incidents/thousands-raised-for-troy-markides-to-return-to-australia-after-horror-thailand-accident/news-story/9c29c2fe18f30efff75c8e4df96be3cb

news_comau_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright News.com.au 2017-07-17

ID: 3   Posted (edited)

According to the news article it is claimed by the mother of the injured man they had insurance but the insurance company will not pay. If true maybe we can have more details of why the insurance company ain't paying...

Perhaps the couple can sell their investment in the bakery franchise to get the monies needed.

If someone is going to ride a motor bike in Thailand get  insurance that will cover any accident and have sufficient private funds to call upon in the event of a problem.

Why should we have any sympathy?

Edited by R123
2 people like this

ID: 7   Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, impulse said:

Maybe the travel policy excludes all scooter related incidents, maybe he didn't have a scooter license back home, meaning he wasn't legal to pilot one in LOS- negating coverage.

Those of us from the nanny states would assume that the company we rent a vehicle from would provide injury insurance with the rental, and not rent to us if we don't have a license.  In fact, how is it that the scooter's compulsory insurance didn't kick in?

Some times, we all learn lessons the hard way.  Just because it hasn't happened to us, doesn't mean we're any smarter than this guy.  Just luckier.

I was going to rent a motorcycle in Phuket once many years ago, knowing that my travel insurance didn't cover it, so I asked the motorbike rental place if insurance was included, with a big smile yes, insurance, we hold your passport, bring bike back, we give you passport back, no no no I said, do you have insurance, yes again with a big smile, have insurance, can I see the policy please, not have was his reply while scratching his head, and stating all bike very good, no ponpen, each and every place I went to, nobody had insurance, so I ended up renting a bike from a working girl, i.e. the girl I was having for a week said she had a friend who needed money, so I made it clear, I don't have insurance and if the bike goes down, she would be out of pocket, ok, take care my bike please, and I did, but that was a once off, needed to get out and about, and as I kept my passport, it was all good in the event of the bike going down or missing, plan B exit to airport quick smart 555

Pays to know what your up against, ask questions in advance, and sight insurance policies or forget it.

Edited by 4MyEgo

ID: 9   Posted

1 minute ago, impulse said:

Better yet, make injury insurance mandatory if you want to rent scooters to the public.

Providing a copy to each renter of the scooter in plain English, or face a fine of 50,000 baht

1 person likes this

Just now, 4MyEgo said:

Providing a copy to each renter of the scooter in plain English, or face a fine of 50,000 baht

It's gotta go beyond that, or they'd just create a market for printing fake insurance certs for handing out to foreigners.  It's got to be something like a full year of insurance paid up to even register a scooter for the rental market. Which would mean a different colored license plate for rental scooters.  

Which means I'm dreaming...

1 person likes this

One reason for cancelled insurance is if the rider was not wearing a helmet or no licence in home country. You need to read the small print. The 'compulsory' cover is very limited on motorcycles.

1 hour ago, impulse said:

It's gotta go beyond that, or they'd just create a market for printing fake insurance certs for handing out to foreigners.  It's got to be something like a full year of insurance paid up to even register a scooter for the rental market. Which would mean a different colored license plate for rental scooters.  

Which means I'm dreaming...

Nothing wrong with dreaming 555

1 person likes this

I tried to get life insurance and the wouldn't cover me for anything other than death by natural causes in Thailand

1 person likes this

15 minutes ago, Dave67 said:

I tried to get life insurance and the wouldn't cover me for anything other than death by natural causes in Thailand

Popping cloggs on a motorcycle seems like a pretty natural occurrence in Thailand. :sad:

2 people like this

ID: 15   Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, DGS1244 said:

The 'compulsory' cover is very limited on motorcycles.

Those of us who have been here for a while are generally aware of that, but I can see where a newbie tourist may not realize that he's only covered for a couple of band-aids, and on his own for anything beyond that.

BTW, I've always assumed that compulsory coverage is so low because the 30 baht scheme (or some other Thai social welfare scheme) then kicks in for any real medical care for locals.  Anyone know for sure?

Edited by impulse