Jump to content
Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
webfact

One dead as motorbike slams Phuket underpass barrier, sends riders airborne

Recommended Posts

One dead as motorbike slams Phuket underpass barrier, sends riders airborne

Eakkapop Thongtub

 

1500263994_1-org.jpg

The man who survived the accident is believed to have lain among at the tunnel construction site for hours before being noticed. Photo: Eakkapop Thongthub

 

PHUKET: -- One man has died and another remains in hospital after the motorbike they were riding slammed into a barrier at the construction site of the Chalong underpass early yesterday morning (July 16).

 

A worker at the site called Chalong Police at 7:30am to report two men and a wrecked motorbike among the construction materials in the under-construction exit ramp no the north side of Chalong Circle.

 

Maj Thada Sodarak of the Chalong Police arrived at the scene with rescue workers to find a Honda Wave motorbike, registered in Chiang Mai, and the body of one man named by police as Somchart Kaewkham, 25, from Udon Thani, at the site.

 

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/one-dead-as-motorbike-slams-phuket-underpass-barrier-sends-riders-airborne-63050.php

 
tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-07-17

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw the survivor being taken away to hospital. But I'm really wondering what happened here, and how they managed to end up where they did.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was the barrier and the construction site properly highlighted with warning signs and lights when dark?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

Was the barrier and the construction site properly highlighted with warning signs and lights when dark?

You can even see the lights from space.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

Was the barrier and the construction site properly highlighted with warning signs and lights when dark?

 

You do realise this is in Thailand. As it happens there is good street lighting and illuminated mall car park on the left. I suspect these 2 were not familiar with the area, driving too fast, and just drove straight into the road works barrier. Alcohol or Yaba might have been invoved.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

 

You do realise this is in Thailand. As it happens there is good street lighting and illuminated mall car park on the left. I suspect these 2 were not familiar with the area, driving too fast, and just drove straight into the road works barrier. Alcohol or Yaba might have been invoved.  

Awful and sad to see people killed in accidents, should it be in Thailand or anywhere else in the world.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mercman24 said:

probably couldn't find a branch to put in the road just before the barrier , as per the norm.

...i think nature has run out..RIP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Was the barrier and the construction site properly highlighted with warning signs and lights when dark?

Yep, I nearly ended up in the MRT tunnels back in early 2000s outside Blue Wave. No lights, no barriers etc, just a big dark hole. I missed it by a yard doing about 70 shortly before midnight on my way home from work.

Lived to tell the tale, but I was sober (near enough).

:crazy:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

Yep, I nearly ended up in the MRT tunnels back in early 2000s outside Blue Wave. No lights, no barriers etc, just a big dark hole. I missed it by a yard doing about 70 shortly before midnight on my way home from work.

Lived to tell the tale, but I was sober (near enough).

:crazy:

 

Boy!..now that was a close one!!...I guess even when the roads are clear one would need to always expect the worst...and slow down!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

Boy!..now that was a close one!!...I guess even when the roads are clear one would need to always expect the worst...and slow down!!

I had slowed down. I knew the road well enough and at that time it was empty. Dead right, expect the unexpected, and that is what I found.

The road works had been going on for ages by the time that happened.

I had been riding bikes for about 15 years by then, and done quite a few miles here.

I always say: look front, left, right, forward again, up, down and behind and forward. Every time there is any time to do it.

I'm a bit too old now, given up. I do miss motorbikes.

Best thing you can do with clothes on!

G :sad:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

I had slowed down. I knew the road well enough and at that time it was empty. Dead right, expect the unexpected, and that is what I found.

The road works had been going on for ages by the time that happened.

I had been riding bikes for about 15 years by then, and done quite a few miles here.

I always say: look front, left, right, forward again, up, down and behind and forward. Every time there is any time to do it.

I'm a bit too old now, given up. I do miss motorbikes.

Best thing you can do with clothes on!

G :sad:

 

 

You say you HAD slowed down to 70. Is that kph or mph?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, wgdanson said:

You say you HAD slowed down to 70. Is that kph or mph?

Speedo was in Ks... But I wasn't one to stick to the limit.

It is dangerous on the roads here, and you need to be aware and expect the unexpected.

I almost got caught out on the way to Pattaya, when an unlit trailer truck pulled out right across the highway (also unlit).

Anyway, too old for bikes now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

BANGKOK 21 November 2017 07:51
Sponsors
×