webfact

Some tourist visa holders being asked to show 20,000 baht in CASH when entering Thailand

566 posts in this topic

30 minutes ago, midas said:

I see nothing onerous about this whatsoever.

I mean just based on living a very modest lifestyle without any extravagance- I still can't see how any genuine tourist can make 20,000 baht last for more than a couple of weeks?:blink:

Agreed, 20,000 is small beer, though I think it's pants if one produces proof of funds in Thailand in excess of that and is still refused entry.

However, I have always had that much, or more, on entry in cash and I believe it has always been a requirement, though previously unenforced.

It's at times like this that the "modern" traveler that relies on a CC is becoming a casualty of their distain for the old fashioned way of having real money.

2 people like this

Yeah cos if they're working they won't be able to show 20,000 thb?  Amazing logic.  

1 person likes this

6 years ago I was asked to show 20.000 baht in an non o visa at the sadao border. At that time they only asked it to certain nationals. Now it's everyone. Stop whining and get 20k. Remember Farang are WALKING ATMS in Thailand

1 person likes this

I visit Thailand probably 3 or 4 times a year on average and usually stay around 3 weeks of so each visit...
I usually have a few thousand Baht left over from my last visit...say , 5000 to 10,000 Baht...
I also being Aussie dollars to exchange in Thailand as the exchange rate is always better in Thailand...
My question is ...
Is foreign cash equivalent to 20k Baht accepted?
I assume it is but it's not specifically stated in the article..
Clarification would be nice

Sent from my SM-A520F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 minutes ago, impulse said:

What's onerous isn't the fact that they're doing it.  It's the fact that they have changed what they're doing without adequate notice.  

Has the new criteria been given to airlines so they can start checking people before they get on a 12 hour flight, only to risk being turned away when they arrive?  Are the airlines responsible for the cost of repatriating people who shouldn't have been allowed on the plane (in addition to substantial fines to the airline)?

Given adequate notice, I'm sure a lot of folks would hit the ATM before they get on the plane.

And it all begs the question, what are they going to change next that may see me getting turned around, wasting thousands of my money and days of my precious holiday time?

If the airlines charged for that $600 (20,000 Baht)…I guess Thailand would have proof of their money as it flew away, with nary a penny of it to benefit their economy.  One would think that Thailand's attractiveness to tourists will be diminished on account of their money-hungry antics.

1 person likes this

2 minutes ago, Bazw57 said:

My question is ...
Is foreign cash equivalent to 20k Baht accepted?

1 person likes this

4 minutes ago, impulse said:

What's onerous isn't the fact that they're doing it.  It's the fact that they have changed what they're doing without adequate notice.  

Has the new criteria been given to airlines so they can start checking people before they get on a 12 hour flight, only to risk being turned away when they arrive?  Are the airlines responsible for the cost of repatriating people who shouldn't have been allowed on the plane (in addition to substantial fines to the airline)?

Given adequate notice, I'm sure a lot of folks would hit the ATM before they get on the plane.

And it all begs the question, what are they going to change next that may see me getting turned around, wasting thousands of $$$ of my money and days of my precious holiday time?

You are using logic and that is irrelevant in LOS.

The requirement has been there for many years, and is published. I knew about it years ago. If one knows about something and does not conform, one probably should not complain, however infuriating.

It's like the people that say it's not necessary to ensure a TM 30 is done within 24 hours of arrival because it never used to be enforced.

Just curious, as I can't remember - are there ATMs at Don Muang and Suvarnabhumi after you get off the plan and before immigration, so one can hit up the ATM before getting in the immigration queue if you feel the need or for peace of mind?