Jump to content
Thailand Forum
webfact

Some tourist visa holders being asked to show 20,000 baht in CASH when entering Thailand

Recommended Posts

hawker9000    3,977
1 minute ago, 11223344 said:

Most people who are less than 50 years old. Our younger have multiple debit/credit cards and can get emergency help from our banks.

'Don't think "younger" are any more likely - probably less in fact - to be carrying cash than those over 50, unless maybe traveling with wife & kids.  This cash requirement is ill thought-out and capricious, and earning Thailand yet more ridicule in the social media, yet is brought about by those who've been flouting the rules by using tourist visas, ED visas, and abusing visa-exempt to remain in the country indefinitely.  Those, and illegal workers of course, are who the IOs are actually gunning for - the rest are just caught in the same net.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
soicee    0

Can the B20,000 cash be the equivalent in another major currency e.g. USD, Euro, AUD?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
perthperson    543
Just now, soicee said:

Can the B20,000 cash be the equivalent in another major currency e.g. USD, Euro, AUD?

Yes !  Or it can be in the form of travellers cheques. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
soicee    0
13 minutes ago, perthperson said:

Yes !  Or it can be in the form of travellers cheques. 

Good to know,  thks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AsianAtHeart    43
7 hours ago, Cadbury said:

If you are such an experienced comer and goer into Thailand, which I doubt you are, why then did you post such nonsense as fact that for visa-exempt entry the evidence of money is somewhere between 0 and 20,000 baht. You say like me that you have never been asked to show cash. Then why throw some mischievous untruthful comment into the ring like you did?

Cadbury,

 

Here is some "mischievous" truth for you.

 

And if you want more, you can read the regulations posted here:

 

http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/4908/15405-General-information.html

 

Note 11(2) and 11(9).  The specific amounts those legal points imply are left for specification by publishing in the Gazette.

 

Those points are paralleled as 12(2) and 12(9) here:  http://library.siam-legal.com/thai-law/thai-immigration-act-entering-and-departing-the-kingdom-sections-11-22/ and here: http://web.krisdika.go.th/data/outsitedata/outsite21/file/Immigration_Act_B.E._2522.pdf

 

The amounts were published here, said to come from a special issue of the Gazette in June 2000:  http://www.thaiembassy.org/hanoi/th/services/1761/46327-Announcement-on-the-amount-of-money-that-the-forei.html

 

The actual Gazette publication specifying the amounts required for each visa type: http://www.ratchakitcha.soc.go.th/DATA/PDF/2543/E/053/4.PDF

 

 

Another topic of interest tangentially related to the need for cash at the border as a reason to deny entry--it would appear Thailand has been seeking excuses to keep foreigners out for some years now:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gk10002000    2,848
17 hours ago, rkidlad said:

Shouldn't be showing proof of funds when applying for the actual visa be enough? Instead of cluttering up immigration queues with baffled tourists wondering why they should have 20k in cash on them.

 

Every time me and my missus fly back to England, they never ask her to show them cash. That's because that's ridiculous, she's already shown her money when applying for the visa, and this is 2017 where people use debit and credit cards and don't usually carry round large amounts of loseable cash. 

yes, showing proof of funds when first getting the visa should be enough.  however, I will point that several countries that issue online e-visas, reserve the right to refuse entry at the point of arrival!  Just watch that Aussie show border protection.  Many people that got visas online, bought plane tickets, flew the 17 hours or whatever to Australia, and then for various reasons are turned away!  Some valid reasons I will grant you that, but others not so valid.  I believe UBJoe has quoted the regulation that says 20k baht is required and may be asked to be shown.  Plain and simple.  Now that means a fair amount of travel cash that some people don't like to have on them.  ~600 USD.   Some people like to only withdraw local currency and some people want to charge everything, so they don't want to carry much cash.  But still, somebody arriving on a Tourist Visa  usually implies at least a 30 day stay or more, I don't think having 600 USD cash in the pocket is unreasonable.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tominbkk    3,221

So it's just targeting people working here without proper documentation it seems.


Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Essaybloke    274
Posted (edited)

"Thailand Wants More Tourists Who Act Like Australians" Thaivisa 17 July

 

Good thing I hold an Australian visa and can act like an Australian :clap2:

Edited by Essaybloke
Punctuation errors are unacceptable!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Billy Bloggs    67
18 hours ago, midas said:

I see nothing onerous about this whatsoever.

I mean just based on living a very modest lifestyle without any extravagance- I still can't see how any genuine tourist can make 20,000 baht last for more than a couple of weeks?:blink:

What century are you living in, my mate will be visiting soon, he has a pre booked flight out, he will have booked his accommodation before hand and booked before hand any travel within Thailand.

He will have a debit card to get cash if he needs to, so he wont spend that much while here and why run the risk of carrying that type of cash with you in this day and age. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
stevenl    8,734

Get a grip guys.

 

A few guys got stopped at immigration on suspicion of working illegally, easy excuse for immigration is to deny them entry because they didn't have enough cash.

 

Now TV is doing what it can to get exposure and clicks out of this.

 

That is all there is to it, regular tourists are NOT asked for cash to enter the country.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
stevenl    8,734
12 minutes ago, Billy Bloggs said:

What century are you living in, my mate will be visiting soon, he has a pre booked flight out, he will have booked his accommodation before hand and booked before hand any travel within Thailand.

He will have a debit card to get cash if he needs to, so he wont spend that much while here and why run the risk of carrying that type of cash with you in this day and age. 

And your mate will not be asked to show cash.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Essaybloke    274
1 hour ago, gk10002000 said:

yes, showing proof of funds when first getting the visa should be enough.  however, I will point that several countries that issue online e-visas, reserve the right to refuse entry at the point of arrival!  Just watch that Aussie show border protection.  Many people that got visas online, bought plane tickets, flew the 17 hours or whatever to Australia, and then for various reasons are turned away!  Some valid reasons I will grant you that, but others not so valid.  I believe UBJoe has quoted the regulation that says 20k baht is required and may be asked to be shown.  Plain and simple.  Now that means a fair amount of travel cash that some people don't like to have on them.  ~600 USD.   Some people like to only withdraw local currency and some people want to charge everything, so they don't want to carry much cash.  But still, somebody arriving on a Tourist Visa  usually implies at least a 30 day stay or more, I don't think having 600 USD cash in the pocket is unreasonable.

Maybe it's not 'unreasonable' to expect a tourist to carry THB20,000 but arriving at U-Tapao and lining up for my 30 day VOA, I'd be mighty cheesed off if I were refused entry and were not permitted to go to an ATM to get the cash. The big problem is inconsistency in the application of the regulations.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gk10002000    2,848
Just now, Essaybloke said:

Maybe it's not 'unreasonable' to expect a tourist to carry THB20,000 but arriving at U-Tapao and lining up for my 30 day VOA, I'd be mighty cheesed off if I were refused entry and were not permitted to go to an ATM to get the cash. The big problem is inconsistency in the application of the regulations.

yeah but it is a regulation.  One should not be upset for the times it is enforced, just because it has not been enforced that often before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
captspectre    1,213
19 hours ago, midas said:

I see nothing onerous about this whatsoever.

I mean just based on living a very modest lifestyle without any extravagance- I still can't see how any genuine tourist can make 20,000 baht last for more than a couple of weeks?:blink:

in a word it is called "Chinese"!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Essaybloke    274
14 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

yeah but it is a regulation.  One should not be upset for the times it is enforced, just because it has not been enforced that often before.

Yes you're right, just one of the frustrations of dealing with bureaucracy. At least now I know about it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

BANGKOK 22 September 2017 17:05
Sponsors
×