webfact

Some tourist visa holders being asked to show 20,000 baht in CASH when entering Thailand

566 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

3   IMHO the government should have tossed the little prat out on his ear, but of that is my opinion. Your opinion is most probably different and so it should be, but it is still only your opinion as is mine.

Not only my opinion. Many Thai's agree with me also, and a good number of other people. Did you see the link on this thread about the market? This is simply xenophobia. They're scared their little Thai children will grow up with the idea of going out and having some fun. The only acceptable ways of bringing up kids here is 1. Not allow them to do anything, because everything is potentially dangerous or 2. Ignore them and let them go play in the road/railway lines.

6 minutes ago, 1happykamper said:

It's like Thailand does not want foreigners here! :D

Well it does seem that way. The rules have always been plentiful and oppressive - yet not too comprehensive or useful in many cases. However, they can use any rule at any time for any reason they like. The reason I mention Nate again is that it repeatedly proves the issue that it works that way. If they don't like you, they'll ask for the 20k cash.

If they really don't like you and the gloves come off, then they'll just not bother with the rules and say 'no, piss off'. I once saw an American some ten years ago who was refused entry. He says they removed the visa from his passport... weird stuff.

A friend of mine now in Moscow asked the boss of his school why the month long holiday had been cancelled (I think August they get a 3-4 week break) and teachers told to go sit in school for 'planning' which was already complete... His school boss told him 'because the Ministry'. The statement meant nothing, it didn't need to mean anything. At the end of the three weeks 'sit in' he was invited to the office and told to take a 20,000 baht severence pay as he would not be required to continue after the break.

It doesn't really mean they don't want you here, they just don't know how to manage people. Their only rule is 'I say, you do'.

2 people like this

2 hours ago, bamukloy said:

But what would it be they dont like?

I think with this job they can sniff an English teacher 100 yards away and if no work permit..then..

Anyway that isnt even consistent.

you cannot tell me that they do not know these Phillipino teachers doing a run every 30 days are working illegally?

Right - and their response is to check that they have 20,000 cash?

After this week do you think that any Filipino teachers doing a visa run will fail to take 20,000 cash?

The guilty ones will go prepared for such tactics. It's been up a couple of times this month already... they'll have to find a new tactic.

Edited by ben2talk

50 minutes ago, 1happykamper said:

It's like Thailand does not want foreigners here! :D

99.9% of tourist and long stay people have no trouble whatsoever with Thailand it is 

the correct visa dodgers long stayers on tourist or exempt entries that cause the

problems for themselves and consequently entice IO's to look closer than normal at

genuine tourists/visitors. 

If you avail yourself of the correct visa/extension/exemption for your purpose of stay

you will have nothing to worry about.

2 people like this

On 7/17/2017 at 1:29 PM, darksidedog said:

Asking tourists to show they have the means to support themselves is fair enough. I have read of reports though when a person without the cash has been refused the opportunity to go to the ATM to withdraw the required monies. That is utterly wrong.

It's wrong to demand visitors carry cash. 

They can't even keep their taxi drivers in check and demand tourists to carry 20k baht cash. And people wonder why so many people get robbed leaving the airport. Then you have to keep it somewhere once you get to your hotel, and many have their safes robbed, so that's a s**t show too. It's all just absurd.

Prove your funds when you apply for a visa or bring a bank statement. At the very least hire a few Somchais to follow you to the ATM to prove it. Then again, they may rob you, and you also run the risk of the ATMs being offline.

A total s**t show.

1 person likes this

14 hours ago, action said:

Not at all what I'm suggesting.  It was sarcasm not a suggestion.

So was mine. : )

15 hours ago, billd766 said:

I have a friend who sells tinfoil hats if you need one.

Do you personally know of something like this happening to anyone you know?

Yes. He lost his wallet and his phone.

As I thought i understood it there was soon to be freedom of movement within ASEAN 
and eventually freedom of employment, but hey tit.

It would be nice but freedom of movement within ASEAN has never been likely.

38 minutes ago, daphnia88 said:

Yes. He lost his wallet and his phone.

Did he lose his wallet and phone or was it stolen?

I have lost my wallet a couple of times but never my phone, nor in the 23 years that I have been working in, holidaying and living in Thailand have I ever been robbed. Every time I lost it I reported it to the police, paid my 20 baht to get a copy of the report and went on my way. I don't feel threatened by the police either.

I feel far safer in Thailand than I did the last time I was in the UK many years ago.

Perhaps it is my attitude or where I live or something else, I have no idea but I have no problems here.

This is what happens when an overwhelmingly large contingent of western 'expats' go on public forums and bash the Thai people, culture, and country.

Such disrespectful behavior manifests itself in daily life, often involving low-life farang walking around shirtless or in skimpy outfits, creating unnecessary drama and getting hysterical, or simply treating Thais as beneath them which often results in beat downs.

Did you think such behavior would go unnoticed and ignored?   

...you reap what you sow

2 people like this

This is what happens when an overwhelmingly large contingent of western 'expats' go on public forums and bash the Thai people, culture, and country.

Such disrespectful behavior manifests itself in daily life, often involving low-life farang walking around shirtless or in skimpy outfits, creating unnecessary drama and getting hysterical, or simply treating Thais as beneath them which often results in beat downs.

Did you think such behavior would go unnoticed and ignored?   

...you reap what you sow

Not sure I understand. What happens??
1 person likes this

On 7/20/2017 at 10:13 PM, ben2talk said:

Not only my opinion. Many Thai's agree with me also, and a good number of other people. Did you see the link on this thread about the market? This is simply xenophobia. They're scared their little Thai children will grow up with the idea of going out and having some fun. The only acceptable ways of bringing up kids here is 1. Not allow them to do anything, because everything is potentially dangerous or 2. Ignore them and let them go play in the road/railway lines.

Well it does seem that way. The rules have always been plentiful and oppressive - yet not too comprehensive or useful in many cases. However, they can use any rule at any time for any reason they like. The reason I mention Nate again is that it repeatedly proves the issue that it works that way. If they don't like you, they'll ask for the 20k cash.

If they really don't like you and the gloves come off, then they'll just not bother with the rules and say 'no, piss off'. I once saw an American some ten years ago who was refused entry. He says they removed the visa from his passport... weird stuff.

A friend of mine now in Moscow asked the boss of his school why the month long holiday had been cancelled (I think August they get a 3-4 week break) and teachers told to go sit in school for 'planning' which was already complete... His school boss told him 'because the Ministry'. The statement meant nothing, it didn't need to mean anything. At the end of the three weeks 'sit in' he was invited to the office and told to take a 20,000 baht severence pay as he would not be required to continue after the break.

It doesn't really mean they don't want you here, they just don't know how to manage people. Their only rule is 'I say, you do'.

Pretty much spot on. 

1 person likes this