Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
webfact

Some tourist visa holders being asked to show 20,000 baht in CASH when entering Thailand

6 minutes ago, Mooner said:

Carrying round 20k in cash. What could possibly go wrong?

The same things that can go wrong carrying a laptop, a smartphone, a nice camera, a wedding ring or any one of a dozen other things worth more we all carry with us when we travel.

15 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Most tourists arrive on visa exempt entries with no such requirements.

As I understand, that is incorrect.  The amount of cash required is simply less for visa-exempt entry.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, JAG said:

" People trying to enter with history of tourist visa entries appear to be the ones under the most amount of scrutiny. ED visa holders also are also the subject of similar scrutiny."

Hardly surprising is it?

That is what Type O and B Non Immigrant visas are for.

5 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Most tourists arrive on visa exempt entries with no such requirements.

5 minutes ago, impulse said:

Who hops on an international flight with less than 20,000 baht in hard currency hidden away in case their ATM card gets eaten, their wallet gets stolen, or any one of a hundred other scenarios where USD, GBP, or Euro's are the only solution?

From the first quoted post, I gather it is those who appear to be doing visa runs (fairly obvious from the entry/exit stamps?) that are being targeted - not tourists.

If, and its a big 'if' - tourists are also being checked, they will likely have relatively small amounts of bht 'in their pocket'  on arrival, but will have travelers cheques to back up ATM/stolen cash problems.

2 minutes ago, impulse said:

I don't know anyone that loaded that doesn't carry emergency cash.  That AMEX card can take days and days to get replaced in the boondocks, effectively ruining a holiday.

Unless, of course, their pilot or their man servant carries the emergency funds.

I am sure for a black AMEX card - they would find a way.

15 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

One can get a work permit if on a marriage extension.

Not talking about those on a marriage extension.

Those that get the Multiple-Entry non-O at Savannakhet without needing to show any funds.

Then come and go every 90 days on a border run.

Because they don't have the 400k or outside income of 40k per month to get the extension??

Suspect.

How many are using them to stay here whilst working illegally?  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AsianAtHeart said:

As I understand, that is incorrect.  The amount of cash required is simply less for visa-exempt entry.

If you know that for a fact how about you share with us that precise amount of baht required for the visa-exempt entry. Then we will all know.

Does it have to be in Thai currency, or is the equivalent foreign currency acceptable?

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, impulse said:

I don't know anyone that loaded that doesn't carry emergency cash.  That AMEX card can take days and days to get replaced in the boondocks, effectively ruining a holiday.

Unless, of course, their pilot or their man servant carries the emergency funds.

One person that I know booked me a room through AMEX using the black AMEX one time because I told them I could not fly into a city because there were no rooms available and she basically said... no problem... AMEX has ways....  They ended up finding a hotel that booked a room for me ... only to find out the hotel messed up and there were 35 people waiting for rooms.  I called her back, she called AMEX and I waited for 5 to 10 minutes.... then saw a hotel staff come by and started apologizing profusely .... ignored the 35 other people and found me a room.  Apparently AMEX threatened to boycott and remove all privileges for the entire chain if they did not sort it out.

Edited by bkkcanuck8

9 minutes ago, impulse said:

The same things that can go wrong carrying a laptop, a smartphone, a nice camera, a wedding ring or any one of a dozen other things worth more we all carry with us when we travel.

The difference is that losing any of those does not mean that one will be penniless and can carry on on holiday. If one ONLY has a CC and it is no longer available, one is screwed.