Thaivisa Web Content Team

This Man Takes a Plane to Work Every Day of the Week

If you’re the kind of person who always complains about their daily work commute, this story will probably make you feel a bit better about your situation. A Los Angeles man who works in San Francisco has a daily six-hour commute, most of which is done by plane.

Every workday, Curt von Badinski, a mechanical engineer and the CTO of San Francisco-based tech company, Motiv, wakes up at 5 in the morning, takes a shower, gets dressed, has breakfast and hops into his car for a 15-minute drive to Bob Hope Burbank airport, where he boards a single-engine commute plane.

He takes a 90-minute flight to Oakland, a city located 353 miles (568km) north west of Los Angeles, and, from there, he gets into his other car and drives to the headquarters of his company, in San Francisco. He gets to work at around 8:30, and does it all over again at 17:00, when he leaves for Los Angeles. He usually gets home around 21:00.

“Whenever I tell people that I commute to San Franciso every day, they ask me that question three times. They say ‘Every day?’, ‘Every day?’, ‘Every day?'” von Badinski told BBC Capital. “They are really confused that I can actually go up and back every single day.”

Curt’s company was actually founded in Los Angeles, but at one point they decided to move it to San Francisco, because “there’s so much talent up here in a really small space”.

The young entrepreneur says that the situation is such that he can’t uproot his family from LA and bring them to San Francisco, and he definitely can’t move the company back, so his long commute was the only viable compromise.

“The way I justify a six-hour commute is having the ability to have all the things that I want,” Curt von Badinski said. “I want to have face time with my company and be able to interact, and be sure that I am addressing the needs of my company, but I also want to be able to be there to help my family in LA.”

Von Badinski pays a $2,300 monthly fee for unlimited flights on a single-engine commuter plane, which he usually shares with about 8 other commuters.

He has also undergone a thorough background check, so he can bypass the main airport terminals, skip the usual security checks and board the plane within minutes of parking his car. Still, his daily commute amounts to six hours spent in a car or an airplane, which I can only assume must be exhausting.

Full article

John Travolta would be proud of him!!

• Like 2

One wonders if he actually does this every single workday.

• Like 2

There used to be Florida based real estate agents with private ex-Indian Airforce Vampire jets who did business sometimes daily in the Bahamas. So flew there and back. 

I wonder what about his family situation is such that he "can't uproot" them.   The choices you can make when you have this much money...  Interesting and lucky for him, but if I'm supposed to feel sorry for him or impressed that he does it... no.  There are easier and cheaper solutions, which he chose not to utilize (because he has the cash to do otherwise).  And I know plenty of people who do far harder things, whether in terms of commute or work, to keep food on the table and a roof over their family's heads.

• Like 1

LA - San Fran should be a suitable stretch for a very high speed rail network.

With carriages allowig for efficient working environment, phones, faxes, computers, printers, high speed internet etc etc

Hardly see what the fuss is about, he is flown to work everyday and flown back, he only spends 15 minutes in his car each way - He should try driving 90 minutes to work each way in motorway traffic everyday with getting up at the same time and going to bed at the same time! He has it easy. 

• Like 2

Surely, he could find a bed/couch in San Francisco (my old home town in the 90's) and work from home one day a week and spend a bit more quality time with his family and spare himself six mostly wasted hours each and every day.

2 hours ago, Formaleins said:

Hardly see what the fuss is about, he is flown to work everyday and flown back, he only spends 15 minutes in his car each way - He should try driving 90 minutes to work each way in motorway traffic everyday with getting up at the same time and going to bed at the same time! He has it easy. 

Well, if his air commute is only 90 minutes (1.5 hours) one way, then that's only three hours by plane each day, yet they claim his commute totals six hours each day.  That implies another 3 hours of driving, not half an hour.  It says it takes him roughly 2.5 hours to get to work (let's assume he leaves home around 6 a.m.?) and 4 hours to get back...is the traffic really so bad in California that somewhere on his drive almost an extra two hours are added in the evening? 

I fly a lot myself (average 150 flights a year). I have met several people who fly to work everyday. One flew from Ontario California (east of Los Angeles) to Phoenix Arizona every day (about 400 Miles or 650 kilometers). I met another who, like this guy, flew from Burbank California (Just North of Los Angeles) to San Fransisco California everyday.

On the other side of the coin, my old boss use to Live in Bakersfield California and Drive to Pasadena California (About 120 Miles or 200 kilometers) everyday in heavy traffic . It would take him about 4 hours each way, So, at least if you are flying you can do some work ..... or even sleep ..... can't do that while driving.

I don't think I would do ether one!!!!

He should learn to fly, lots of small airstrips around SF, having flown into lots of  them save a lot of money and time.them

There are plenty of people in Thailand who work in Central Bangkok but live on the outskirts (due to housing osts) who have 2-3 hour commute each way using motorcycle,  boat, van, etc.