Jump to content
Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
mesquite

Basic Motorbike Liability Insurance

Recommended Posts

Questions.

 

Where is the best place to buy the basic motorbike liability insurance, the kind you need to have to get the bike tax sticker?

 

Can I buy it at the DMV where I pay the tax and get the sticker?  Or is there a better place?

 

Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought my 1st class insurance from my local vehicle test centre who did both, tax and insurance for me in one day.

 

The insurance only cost 300 Baht, so IMo it seems hardly worth the bother of shopping around.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's all the same companies and all the same prices for P.R.B the national insurance for the sticker on the bikes.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Just to clarify part of your statement

   motorbike liability insurance

Before  you do your Road Tax Or Registration

You have to purchase the Road Insurance which is compulsory before you can pay for your Road Tax Or Registration

Because this is different from most countries the way they do it

This covers a basic Personal  Accident Only Insurance  not covered for your own bike repairs

If you need a Compulsory Insurance this can bought at several Places

You can incorporate your Road Insurance with your own accident Cover

I found this out recently when i registered my bike after the 1 year from new

I an still learning how the system works

Edited by Lizard2010
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Lizard2010 said:

Just to clarify part of your statement

   motorbike liability insurance

Before  you do your Road Tax Or Registration

You have to purchase the Road Insurance which is compulsory before you can pay for your Road Tax Or Registration

Because this is different from most countries the way they do it

This covers a basic Personal  Accident Only Insurance  not covered for your own bike repairs

If you need a Compulsory Insurance this can bought at several Places

You can incorporate your Road Insurance with your own accident Cover

I found this out recently when i registered my bike after the 1 year from new

I an still learning how the system works

I guess I mean Road Insurance instead of liability insurance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Moonlover said:

I bought my 1st class insurance from my local vehicle test centre who did both, tax and insurance for me in one day.

 

The insurance only cost 300 Baht, so IMo it seems hardly worth the bother of shopping around.

Most if not all test centers sell it.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another question: Can I show up at that office near Holiday Inn with the green book and NOT the bike?  I would rather drive the car over there.  I am wondering if they want to look at the bike for some sort of ID number.  I just can't remember what they did last year.  Any input is appreciated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, mesquite said:

Another question: Can I show up at that office near Holiday Inn with the green book and NOT the bike?  I would rather drive the car over there.  I am wondering if they want to look at the bike for some sort of ID number.  I just can't remember what they did last year.  Any input is appreciated.

If your bike is less than 5 years old you can pay the road tax without the green book. I had a photo copy, and then later with the receipt they will update your tax page of the book.

 

If the bike is 5 years or more older you need it tested, so it must be present. Will they do it without a green book? Maybe.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, inThailand said:

If your bike is less than 5 years old you can pay the road tax without the green book. I had a photo copy, and then later with the receipt they will update your tax page of the book.

 

If the bike is 5 years or more older you need it tested, so it must be present. Will they do it without a green book? Maybe.

 

Thanks.  It's 3 years old.  I will have the green book with me.

Edited by mesquite

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To follow up, I went down to the DMV by Holiday Inn with the green book and the place was so crowded I left.  I then talked to a Thai friend who called someone else and he went there the next day with the green book only and obtained the sticker.

 

I should have done that from the start :).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

BANGKOK 24 November 2017 18:30
Sponsors
×