Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
webfact

Man rescued after being trapped for three days in Samui jungle is British TV star

Man rescued after being trapped for three days in Samui jungle is British TV star

ee.jpg

Nicholls made his EastEnders debut in 1996 as character Joe Wicks //The SUN

KOH SAMUI: -- A man who was trapped in the jungle on Koh Samui for three days has been identified as British TV personality Paul Nicholls.

The ex-Eastenders star had been trekking near Khun Si Falls when he fell and became trapped between rocks.

He was left stranded for three days before being rescued.

Speaking to the The Sun, Paul said: “I am lucky to be alive.

“I had a phone with me but I fell from such a height into the water it was unretrievable.

ee1.jpg

Image: The SUN

“It took such a long time to find me. It’s an understatement to say it wasn’t a great situation. It wasn’t that I was lost.

“The problem was I couldn’t move to get out of there.

“I’ve got a broken leg and I’m missing a kneecap. It needs complete reconstruction.”

The Sun reports how Nicholls had hired a motorbike under his real name of Gerrard Paul Greenhalgh and went off exploring the jungle when the accident happened.

After being rescued Paul was sent to hospital on Koh Samui, but his problems didn’t end there.

ee2.jpg

Image: The SUN

A source close to Paul says he now faces huge medical bills following the accident, with a local hospital demanding 13,000 GBP, approximately 570,000 THB per night, forcing him to be transferred to another hospital.

The source said: “He was out there by himself because he was between filming.

“He needs surgery. But it’s going to cost £90,000 for him to have it in Thailand.”

“The British Embassy want to fly him back here. They need to fly him to the mainland first to a proper hospital and then decide whether to bring him back to the UK or do the surgery there.”

Paul shot to fame in the 1990’s after starring as Joe Wicks in the popular British soap Eastenders.

He also appeared in a Bridget Jones movie and has starred in Law and Order: UK and Holby City.

Paul has previously spoken publicly about his battles with alcohol and drugs.

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-07-19

British 'Star'?  Stetching the definition of the phrase a bit.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Do we get to hear how this all happened? Was it a motorcycle accident?

there are a few salutary points to be made there - not least the cost of private healthcare and even the emergency services need to report their role in the incident.

Edited by kwilco

Do we get to hear how this all happened? Was it a motorcycle accident?
there are a few salutary points to be made there - not least the cost of private healthcare and even the emergency services need to report their role in the incident.

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?/topic/992382-Briton-survives-three-days-in-the-jungle-after-Samui-waterfall-plunge

Briton survives three days in the jungle after Samui waterfall plunge

570,000 THB per night? My insurance is limited to ~2000 Baht per night, 400,000 Baht per injury...

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

As someone who works in a hospital I'd say the quoted numbers do sound wrong.  More like 570,000 for the entire surgery but everything is here say as not all facts on the news, especially social media are fact-checked and no one has to take responsibility for shady reporting and jumping to conclusions is even more pandemic nowadays then when people use to just whisper into each other's ears.

More importantly the guy is still alive.  

He should have had travel insurance.  

He needs to be more careful next time because traveling alone is not the smartest thing to do.   

Accidents do happen and when they do and require medical care YOU are responsible for yourself.

1 hour ago, ChangMaiSausage said:

570,000 per night something wrong with the reporting here.

90,000 over 4,000gbp for knee / leg repairs again this seems a little on the high side.

The British embassy is involved, wow a first they want him to fly to the main land.  I would have thought his insurance would take care of all this?  Or is it void, did he have insurance?

Just like an episode of East Enders all doom and gloom dadadadadaddddddaaaaaaa.

Edited by smileydude
  • Like 2