Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
webfact

Tourists in Samui and Phangan warned - box jellyfish that can kill in minutes have arrived

59 minutes ago, cumgranosalus said:

As I said you shouldn't lump jellyfish and Box Jellies together - on a taxonomic level it's actually worse than comparing a hamster to a buffalo.

just because a species of Jelly fish does something it doesn't follow that it applies to a Box Jelly.

virtually all the web addresses you have given refer to jellyfish not box jellies.

it is a serious problem that people assume that the Box Jelly is "just another jellyfish" which leads them to make all sorts of incorrect assumptions about it's natural history.

I presume that you didn't read slowly – I'm not assuming, nor comparing anything – as all references, except the separate post with the European study of swimming jellyfish (only) in currents (box jellies are not easily available in that area I think :whistling:, see my previous note) – are about Box Jellyfish only, if you please read the links:
Wikipedia, "Box jellyfish"

National Geographic, "Box Jellyfish"

Travel NQ, "15 Fascinating Facts I Learned About Australian Box Jellyfish"

–looked at through my glasses, it clearly says "Box" in front of "Jellyfish" in all titles...:unsure:

The European study is interesting about swimming jellyfish and currents, as it's stated in the other Box Jellyfish links that Box Jellyfish actually swim; and also stated by yourself in previous posts, that Box Jellyfish can swim in current.

I'm actually to a degree backing your own statement with sources, however I cannot judge the ability of the Box Jellyfish here in Golf of Thailand swimming in monsoon current and waves, as I'm not an expert; that's why I don't draw any conclusions or post any remarks about it. But if you read the study about jellyfish's ability of swimming in current, and get some local data about current, you may be able to draw some level of conclusion; re. your discussion with moderator PoorSucker about weaves and currents during Samui rainy season. I thought it might be quite interesting to find out, as numerous people seem to be scared about the Box Jelleyfish.

Based on common sense – because I know way to little about Box Jellyfish, and don't wish to spend time searching for more scientific studies and read them, as neither jellyfish, nor Box Jellyfish has any deep interest for me – I would initially agree with moderator PoorSucker about the rainy season here; which is also based on my own experience from living beach-front on Samui for a decade, with the monsoon storm and current some years hitting quite hard during the rainy season...:smile:

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, khunPer said:

I presume that you didn't read slowly – I'm not assuming, nor comparing anything – as all references, except the separate post with the European study of swimming jellyfish (only) in currents (box jellies are not easily available in that area I think :whistling:, see my previous note) – are about Box Jellyfish only, if you please read the links:
Wikipedia, "Box jellyfish"

National Geographic, "Box Jellyfish"

Travel NQ, "15 Fascinating Facts I Learned About Australian Box Jellyfish"

–looked at through my glasses, it clearly says "Box" in front of "Jellyfish" in all titles...:unsure:

The European study is interesting about swimming jellyfish and currents, as it's stated in the other Box Jellyfish links that Box Jellyfish actually swim; and also stated by yourself in previous posts, that Box Jellyfish can swim in current.

I'm actually to a degree backing your own statement with sources, however I cannot judge the ability of the Box Jellyfish here in Golf of Thailand swimming in monsoon current and waves, as I'm not an expert; that's why I don't draw any conclusions or post any remarks about it. But if you read the study about jellyfish's ability of swimming in current, and get some local data about current, you may be able to draw some level of conclusion; re. your discussion with moderator PoorSucker about weaves and currents during Samui rainy season. I thought it might be quite interesting to find out, as numerous people seem to be scared about the Box Jelleyfish.

Based on common sense – because I know way to little about Box Jellyfish, and don't wish to spend time searching for more scientific studies and read them, as neither jellyfish, nor Box Jellyfish has any deep interest for me – I would initially agree with moderator PoorSucker about the rainy season here; which is also based on my own experience from living beach-front on Samui for a decade, with the monsoon storm and current some years hitting quite hard during the rainy season...:smile:

Silly! - are you trying to move goalposts? only one of these  is about box jellies as I have pointed out in my forst 2 replies to your misleading posts. Why bundle stuff about jellyfish with Box jellies - you clearly were unaware of the difference so posted a lot of stuff that is a best tangential - noew you realsie you were making a mistake you are trying to change the parametres of wht you have already posted by ignoring the faulty elements

"

This study claims that jellyfish "can sense the ocean current and actively swim against it"; however it don't mention Box Jellyfish directly – probably not the best kind of jellyfish to play with, or just not available in the test area – but in the notes it has a single reference to another scientific report, which says that "Box Jellyfish Use Terrestrial Visual Cues for Navigation".

1-s2.0-S0960982214015449-gr1.jpg

Here's an article and video from BBC Jellyfish 'can sense ocean currents'

And the original scientific study Current-Oriented Swimming by Jellyfish and Its Role in Bloom Maintenance

And the reference to the report about Box Jellyfish Use Terrestrial Visual Cues for Navigation"

Edited by cumgranosalus

4 hours ago, cumgranosalus said:

Silly! - are you trying to move goalposts? only one of these  is about box jellies as I have pointed out in my forst 2 replies to your misleading posts. Why bundle stuff about jellyfish with Box jellies - you clearly were unaware of the difference so posted a lot of stuff that is a best tangential - noew you realsie you were making a mistake you are trying to change the parametres of wht you have already posted by ignoring the faulty elements

"

This study claims that jellyfish "can sense the ocean current and actively swim against it"; however it don't mention Box Jellyfish directly – probably not the best kind of jellyfish to play with, or just not available in the test area – but in the notes it has a single reference to another scientific report, which says that "Box Jellyfish Use Terrestrial Visual Cues for Navigation".

1-s2.0-S0960982214015449-gr1.jpg

Here's an article and video from BBC Jellyfish 'can sense ocean currents'

And the original scientific study Current-Oriented Swimming by Jellyfish and Its Role in Bloom Maintenance

And the reference to the report about Box Jellyfish Use Terrestrial Visual Cues for Navigation"

I give up posting to people that cannot read: »...however it don't mention Box Jellyfish directly...« :sad:  

• Like 2