Jump to content
Jonathan Fairfield

Q & A from the TAT about reports that some tourists were refused entry to Thailand

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Yes it is within the rules.  But the enforcement of it is  arbitrary a lot of the time.

Not sure that insisting upon cash is though.

 

Speaking of the requiring cash episodes, and not accepting other financial proof, here's Richard's TAT #5 Q and A, which gets my award as B.S. non-answer of the day, or maybe even week:

 

59724b201a5a0_TATon20KRequirement02.jpg.a91af62eb5f9f7d2f62a30164576b51d.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Chou Anou said:

It would be interesting if it were indeed true that all of this panic could be traced back to exactly two highly suspect ThaiVisa threads last week, made by members with very low post counts (always a potential red flag), and one more post that seems like it may be more valid and believable (the Muy Thai fighter guy).  I wouldn't be surprised at all if that were the case.  "Pandemic," indeed.  And even if all three reports are credible, let's not forget that each of them ADMITTED to having done multiple visa-free entries in a row...so, this is NOT tourists we're talking about here, it's people trying to game the system. 

The Muay Thai guy's Facebook is public, anybody can read his posts and the comments on his posts. It's unlikely it's a hoax. Has pictures from his fights in Thailand etc. He says he already has a baby with a Thai woman that he wanted to get an US passport for, but I don't think he is in very good terms with the mother (and that's actually the main reason he came he says, to sort out the US passport for the baby). However, he could not wait to "come back home" (Thailand = home) on a 30 day visa exempt, that he had no problems with many times in the past.

 

Also, knowing that Thais judge on appearances first before any red warnings whatever, this kid's appearance, as I have said before, did not do him any favours.

 

And he was broke. Easy to pick out of the crowd.

 

In regards to why Immi is doing this, it's to remind us probably of our status of "guests" and that we are fortunate to breathe Thai air. Not the first time they are pulling these stunts, every year or couple of years they do. Then things go back to where they were.

Edited by lkv
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, lkv said:

Then things go back to where they were.

 

Mmmm  

 

Where can double/triple tourist visas be obtained?  Are Ed visas a soft option ?  How many visa exempt runs can be done by land ? etc. 

 

When will things go back to "where they were"? 

Edited by perthperson
correction of typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, perthperson said:

 

Mmmm  

 

Where can double/triple tourist visas obtained?  Are Ed visas a soft option ?  How many visa exempt runs can be done by land ? etc. 

 

When will things go back to "where they were"? 

I was referring to the 20K crackdown.

 

In regards to double/triple being taken out, that's why they have reinvented Elite. To give people an option to be a never ending tourist for up to 20 years.

 

Just imagine how many temples one can visit in 20 years, with employment prohibited.

 

Concerning ED visas, there is one school for example liked by the current administration, where they get a cut I guess, where one can study self defense, only Saturday and Sunday. Or perhaps only one out of two. Or maybe not attend at all.

 

Also, one can nowadays take Thai cooking classes, they can study Chinese, they can study French.

 

So many options.

 

It's just wonderful.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, jeab1980 said:

Consulates as im aware i will stand corrected if wrong make money by issuing visa's so heres the rub they will issue visa's even seeing a string of exempt or S/M Visa's in someones passport.

They make their money whether they issue the visa or not; the application fee is non-refundable - as I suspect you well know - and you really can't miss that oft-repeated notice during the process.  If this B20K thing were one tenth as well publicized as the non-refundable application fee, it wouldn't be an issue at all...   But I agree that it's the tourist visa and visa-exempt abusers that have made life difficult for everyone else.  Unfortunately but predictably, the B20K thing is pretty easy for these serial abusers to "figure out", so now the cash check quickly evolves into something that pretty much only burdens those playing by the rules and haven't been to Thailand 50 times so as to be aware of these new and quaint little customs.

 

.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perfect Thai way ! Asking explanation to someone who knows nothing. but anyway, the reply is not so important for Thai, so it's ok...

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still, 20,000 baht is about 600 USD.  For a casual tourist coming in for a week that is not an inconsequential amount.  Many people don't routinely carry around that much cash.  Many people here in the USA are living paycheck to paycheck and the idea of getting 600 USD in nice new 100 dollar bills is not easy or routine.  And some people transit through Thailand perhaps planning to stay just a few days, charge the hotel to their credit card or already have paid for the hotel through Agoda or whatever else online.   But as long as the Thai officials are a little bit flexible, allow one to get to an ATM or things like that, things will be OK.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The problem is that there is no  ATM machine prior to Immigration and they must know this. I am sure banks would provide a machine if requested.  They are using the lack of cash to ferret out those who fit a profile of individuals who may be working or looking for work.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Thaidream said:

The problem is that there is no  ATM machine prior to Immigration and they must know this. I am sure banks would provide a machine if requested.  They are using the lack of cash to ferret out those who fit a profile of individuals who may be working or looking for work.

Whos going to refill the machines airside?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pandemic enough that the UK tabloid have been running stories of refusals at border crossing and airports and advising everyone to ensure they have the sufficient funds at hand, to avoid disappointment.
As already reported there are no ATM's before Immigration.

I think have been two documented examples. The UK tabloids will print anything.
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gk10002000 said:

Still, 20,000 baht is about 600 USD.  For a casual tourist coming in for a week that is not an inconsequential amount.  Many people don't routinely carry around that much cash.  Many people here in the USA are living paycheck to paycheck and the idea of getting 600 USD in nice new 100 dollar bills is not easy or routine.  And some people transit through Thailand perhaps planning to stay just a few days, charge the hotel to their credit card or already have paid for the hotel through Agoda or whatever else online.   But as long as the Thai officials are a little bit flexible, allow one to get to an ATM or things like that, things will be OK.

 When i was in home country as a tourist going to any country before i go i look at the exchange rates in the travel agents/banks ect.

I then looked on line expat sites anything i could find about my destination exchange rate wise usualy found something.

If like here the exchange rate was better in country i would change say £50 at a bank before i left carrying cash or travellers cheques usually cash as travellers cheque sometimes incur a charge for changing. I would then change in country at my leisure. I still do that now zlthough traveling out of country here has almost come to a full stop save visa runs for new 90 days or a new visa. I do however and have always done carry 20k bht minimum with me when i do border bounce. Also on my phone pictures of marriage certificate/kor ror 2 which I update every 6 months/blue and yellow tabien/ive also got the usual passport pics on there but dont need them in this case. Be prepared for the unexpected and you wont go far wrong here

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, lkv said:

The Muay Thai guy's Facebook is public, anybody can read his posts and the comments on his posts. It's unlikely it's a hoax. Has pictures from his fights in Thailand etc. He says he already has a baby with a Thai woman that he wanted to get an US passport for, but I don't think he is in very good terms with the mother (and that's actually the main reason he came he says, to sort out the US passport for the baby). However, he could not wait to "come back home" (Thailand = home) on a 30 day visa exempt, that he had no problems with many times in the past.

 

Also, knowing that Thais judge on appearances first before any red warnings whatever, this kid's appearance, as I have said before, did not do him any favours.

 

And he was broke. Easy to pick out of the crowd.

 

In regards to why Immi is doing this, it's to remind us probably of our status of "guests" and that we are fortunate to breathe Thai air. Not the first time they are pulling these stunts, every year or couple of years they do. Then things go back to where they were.

How was he easily picked out from the crowd ?

I had a very quick glance over his pictures on FB. Only saw 3 or 4 where he had clothes on (most are of him in shorts training) he looked like any normal person would look in his jeans and shirt. How he could be easily identified is a mystery to me. Or do you really think he will come through in his Muay Thai shorts?

 

Edited by jeab1980

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, jimster said:

Other countries vet quite considerably at the visa application stage and thus have little reason to waste time and resources at airport immigration - it's mainly when tourist visa holders are found to be coming for work that they get caught at immigration, which rarely seems to be the case in Thailand.

Have often seen people getting the third degree from Australian immigration even though they have valid visas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jeab1980 said:
3 hours ago, Thaidream said:

The problem is that there is no  ATM machine prior to Immigration and they must know this. I am sure banks would provide a machine if requested.  They are using the lack of cash to ferret out those who fit a profile of individuals who may be working or looking for work.

Whos going to refill the machines airside?

The same people who refill the airside ATM machines for departing passengers.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, BritTim said:

The same people who refill the airside ATM machines for departing passengers.

There a big diffrence people in departures have cleared customs and immigration. People in arrivals have not cleared immigration or customs big big diffrence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

BANGKOK 19 August 2018 09:34
Sponsors
×