Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
snoop1130

Swiss family's Koh Tao escape from near death - thanks to life jackets

JSixpack    3,215
2 minutes ago, sawadee1947 said:

that is not right. This wave - if there was any - did not come out of the blue. In rain season however you have to be careful and as an experienced sailor you know when you sail or stay safe. And exactly this the owner did not. So he risked the life of his customers who trusted him.

We'll need to agree to disagree. OP says the sea was calm. Even experienced sailors can't anticipate all contingencies that do arise. I think if you Google around you'll find plenty of such cases, far worse than this one.

• Like 1

The passengers on the other boat trip sinking were not all so lucky, five dead.

Good the Swiss Family made it back to the beach. (I remember a film about a story like that...)

Sounds to me that the boat helmsman wasn't paying attention, and got caught broadside on to a big wave.

Happy ending for once !

just.a.thought    208
16 hours ago, JSixpack said:

Doesn't seem to be any training or vessel safety problem here, just the usual TVF Poster need to identify imagined nitwits. You might ask yourself whether all the licensing, regulation, intensive training, and state-of-the-art engineering have been able to guarantee a complete lack of airline crashes.

Yet the boat get hit by a small wave (look at the picture) and sinks. Indication of too high speed and poor construction combined with the captains failure to realize his own and the vessels limitations.

• Like 1

tryasimight    292
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, just.a.thought said:

Having sailed for the last 40 years commercially ( 25 as captain), no I do not agree with you. It is a matter of lack of training and poor seamanship as well as no safety standards. But please do tell,what do you think the cause of this sinking was? blaming the sea-state is not an option,the conditions was not nearly severe enough for that to be the main cause of the sinking.

jut a stab in the dark.......running in front of the wave, wave 'caught up', boat broached and turned turtle.....all as a result of poor seamanship. I could be wrong.

I've been in that situation in crocodile infested waters ( 14 foot aluminium run about, not me driving) thankfully the boat didn't turn completely over but sobered us all up very, very quickly

Edited by tryasimight

just.a.thought    208
Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, tryasimight said:

jut a stab in the dark.......running in front of the wave, wave 'caught up', boat broached and turned turtle.....all as a result of poor seamanship. I could be wrong.

I've been in that situation in crocodile infested waters ( 14 foot aluminium run about, not me driving) thankfully the boat didn't turn completely over but sobered us all up very, very quickly

In breaking waves that could be the case. The picture shows choppy waves but no breaking waves.

Edited by just.a.thought
  • Like 1

metisdead    4,267
Posted (edited)

Offensive troll posts and replies have been removed. 

Replies to now removed posts have been removed. 

Edited by metisdead

agudbuk    97

Why didn't the Swiss navy come to the rescue?

Sent from my SM-C900F using Tapatalk

JSixpack    3,215
On 7/28/2017 at 10:02 AM, just.a.thought said:

So in your opinion there is nothing wrong with the way passenger transport is conducted in Thailand,especially on the water.

Your example with the airlines is absolutely idiotic,but just to answer the obvious. Yes regulations,intensive training and state-of-the art engineering has SIGNIFICANTLY REDUCED airline crashes to the point where it today is the safest form of transportation.

My opinion is limited to this case. Exaggeration won't make yours. And you do agree that SIGNIFICANTLY REDUCED doesn't mean "eliminated."

On 7/28/2017 at 10:16 AM, just.a.thought said:

Yet the boat get hit by a small wave (look at the picture) and sinks. Indication of too high speed and poor construction combined with the captains failure to realize his own and the vessels limitations.

No, the picture doesn't show THE wave and the small waves support the idea that the sea was relatively calm until that "big surge" hit. If you google for "rogue wave swamps boat" you'll see that it happens regardless of speed, construction, captain expertise, and vessel limitations--which all vessels have.