Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
Amphur2000

Farang Attitudes and Results

473geo    1,229
24 minutes ago, puchooay said:

I've seen similar posts many times and with differing opinions. 

I have been here 19 years. At that time there were no shopping centres. There were hardly any expats. When ever one encountered another expat a greeting came naturally at it was almost a shock to meet. 

Nowadays it is almost inevitable that you are going to see multiple expats when out and about, especially if you are in places like BigC, Robinsons, etc. 

Would it really be deemed an attitude problem if one did not greet everyone? Should we also greet every Thai? Would anyone greet every countrymam/woman they encountered in a supermarket in their home country? 

Comes naturally. A friend of my wife commented one day....'you smile at every Thai lady'..... I do because they look at me :smile:

I too experienced the days when a farang was a 'slightly unusual' sight for Thai people. They were obviously curious and looked, sometimes without realising, stared. It is easy to smile and nod to put them at ease and most times returned.

I suppose if you are not noteworthy, or look approachable......just not required......doesn't have to mean you have an attitude or are a miserable git, but you can't really fault people who think that is the case!

• Like 2

jeab1980    1,450
Posted (edited)
On 05/08/2017 at 3:55 PM, 473geo said:

Comes naturally. A friend of my wife commented one day....'you smile at every Thai lady'..... I do because they look at me :smile:

I too experienced the days when a farang was a 'slightly unusual' sight for Thai people. They were obviously curious and looked, sometimes without realising, stared. It is easy to smile and nod to put them at ease and most times returned.

I suppose if you are not noteworthy, or look approachable......just not required......doesn't have to mean you have an attitude or are a miserable git, but you can't really fault people who think that is the case!

Çurious ?? Was here in 72 1972 that is no looks of disbelief. No not all the time in Bangkok traveled up to E-sarn. And beyond people here like to belive they were among the first Farangs to step foot in Thailand! Reality check there was loads before you.

Edited by jeab1980
  • Like 1

473geo    1,229
19 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

Çurious ?? Was here in 72 1972 that is no looks of disbelief. No not all the time in Bangkok traveled up to E-sarn. And beyond people here like to belive they were among the first Farangs to step foot in Thailand! Reality check there was loads before you.

Obviously just not as attractive as me and went unnoticed :smile: 

In reality I enjoy walking and am always out cycling, no fear of straying far from the tourist areas, in fact I enjoy the exploration, even these days many rural Thai I meet are surprised to see a farang cycling by their front door of their farms, houses, and appear quite pleased to receive a smile and a cheery hello.

While I agree it not unusual to see farang at the local shopping centres, 7/11, banks or tourist areas, I can assure you when I pull up on my bicycle for water or coke at a remote little back street village shop chances are they have not experienced this before. :smile: 

Reality check - my experience..... your lack of lateral thinking

• Like 1

jeab1980    1,450
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, 473geo said:

Obviously just not as attractive as me and went unnoticed :smile: 

In reality I enjoy walking and am always out cycling, no fear of straying far from the tourist areas, in fact I enjoy the exploration, even these days many rural Thai I meet are surprised to see a farang cycling by their front door of their farms, houses, and appear quite pleased to receive a smile and a cheery hello.

While I agree it not unusual to see farang at the local shopping centres, 7/11, banks or tourist areas, I can assure you when I pull up on my bicycle for water or coke at a remote little back street village shop chances are they have not experienced this before. :smile: 

Reality check - my experience..... your lack of lateral thinking

Absolutley not. Now live in rural Issan and as you bike alot out and about. As you when i stop for water if there are thais around i talk to them, they are never suprised to actually see a farang. But are when said farang can talk there laungage.

Reailty check as i stated your not the first wether you like to belive you are or not. 

Ps i have fantastic lateral thinking skills.:post-4641-1156694083:

Edited by jeab1980

473geo    1,229
2 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

Absolutley not. Now kive in rural Issan and as you bike alot out and about. As you when i stop for water if there are thsis around i talk to them they are never suprised to actually see a farang. But are when said carang can talk there laungage.

Reailty check as i stated your not the first wether you like to belive you are or not. 

Ps i have fantastic lateral thinking skills.:post-4641-1156694083:

Pleased you didn't dispute my attractiveness- :smile: 

I don't need to argue for arguing sake today - carry on :smile:

• Like 2

ResandePohm    399
On 8/5/2017 at 2:56 PM, puchooay said:

I've seen similar posts many times and with differing opinions. 

I have been here 19 years. At that time there were no shopping centres. There were hardly any expats. When ever one encountered another expat a greeting came naturally at it was almost a shock to meet. 

Nowadays it is almost inevitable that you are going to see multiple expats when out and about, especially if you are in places like BigC, Robinsons, etc. 

Would it really be deemed an attitude problem if one did not greet everyone? Should we also greet every Thai? Would anyone greet every countrymam/woman they encountered in a supermarket in their home country? 

To greet every expat one encounters seems to me to be ridiculous and stupid. Would you do that in your home country? No you wouldn't. It would be akin to every red haired person greeting every other red haired person simply because they also had red hair. You do not know these people so why greet them like long lost friends.

We all know, as is often reflected here, that in Thailand there are many Perverts (sexpats, paedophiles etc) as well as criminal miscreants hiding from the law in their own countries. Why on earth would you want to greet all expats without knowing something about them first. Plain stupidity!! If I meet an expat socially and know his friends then of course I would greet them if I met them again. But I would also do that with Thais that I met socially. It is normal. It is just common politeness. But every expat, perverts and all, Take a hike.

• Confused 1

ELVIS123456    344

OP True. Mainly miserable gits who would be miserable anywhere.

Many good guys too :)  Mostly those happily in a healthy relationship with a Thai.

oldhippy    1,037

Amphur2000.

You say that you respect authority in Thailand.

Does that include paying bribes/extortion? Or were you never asked to?

oldhippy    1,037
On 29/07/2017 at 3:55 PM, ipeterrobinson17 said:

Indifferent?! I like what you did there but I would have said 'Thais seem typically indifferent' as you are judging their behaviour based on your own way of thinking.

There are some still significant differences between Thailand (Asia) and 'the West' that make these comparisons problematic.

At the end of the day, I think most farang here are trying to better understand Thai's/Thailand so they can make their life better here, which is to me a sign of respect for the 'Kingdom'.

From outside looking in, it may seem like a lot of criticism about Thailand but those people looking also need to appreciate how farangs behave if they want to correctly interpret the behaviour here.

I like living in a 'Western democracy' but it has it's problems and I find certain aspects of Asian countries more appealing.

I also wonder how attached I would be to my Western values if I was having to worry about where my next meal was coming from.

Sent from my HUAWEI P8max using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I also wonder how attached I would be to my Western values if I was having to worry about where my next meal was coming from.

UNQUOTE

On the contrary!

Our western values were formed when Europeans knew that there was no next meal coming any time soon.......

Did our ancestors - not that long ago - count on getting lucky with the lottery? overcharge rich foreigners? accept things as god's will? bow to their masters?

No.

They stood up against the authorities that Thais respect so much.

They took what was rightfully theirs: the fruits of their labour.

• Like 1

zzaa09    329

Some Farang have special powers.....

klikster    309
On 7/30/2017 at 2:05 AM, 473geo said:

- for my part I readily discuss and take detailed instruction/advice from my wife on our approach to topics, so far this has served us well

+1 

Jip99    4,389
21 hours ago, ResandePohm said:

To greet every expat one encounters seems to me to be ridiculous and stupid. Would you do that in your home country? No you wouldn't. It would be akin to every red haired person greeting every other red haired person simply because they also had red hair. You do not know these people so why greet them like long lost friends.

We all know, as is often reflected here, that in Thailand there are many Perverts (sexpats, paedophiles etc) as well as criminal miscreants hiding from the law in their own countries. Why on earth would you want to greet all expats without knowing something about them first. Plain stupidity!! If I meet an expat socially and know his friends then of course I would greet them if I met them again. But I would also do that with Thais that I met socially. It is normal. It is just common politeness. But every expat, perverts and all, Take a hike.

I am a sexpat but I am not a pervert.

I resent your stereotypical grouping......but then holier than thou people like you do that, don't they ?

• Like 1

klikster    309
On 8/6/2017 at 3:56 PM, jeab1980 said:

Yep, I did R & R in Bkk, ci. 1964. Lots more before me as well.

473geo    1,229
18 hours ago, klikster said:

Yep, I did R & R in Bkk, ci. 1964. Lots more before me as well.

Sure guys, and kids in remote villages grow up everyday meeting farangs on a regular basis - of course they do silly me

And those farangs that choose not to acknowledge fellow farangs when they meet, they stop and chat with said children.....sure they do......

And there are farangs regularly cycling on every dirt track, and back road in my area, of course there are, I've just been unlucky not to meet them, or maybe they are so afraid of having to speak to another farang they hide in the bushes until I pass :smile:

How could I be so naive to think a farmer in the middle of nowhere has not met hundreds of farang passing his way before me, indeed he probably speaks English! :w00t: 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1