Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
Adbro1

Bar 'lady drink' etiquette?

Well you all seem to be doing it wrong. Lady drinks are a way of the Bar extorting money out of there punters who just happen to be wanting to buy a pleasant lady a drink. Where i frequent whilst on holidays its 65bht for me and 130 for lady drink. Little known fact bar girls make 20bht per beer they have bought for them. Which is on top of the 300bht per day they are paid. If you bar fine a lady and you dont buy at least one lady drink for her before you leave, she will not get the 300bht daily wage.

However you can say to the lady in question if i bar fine you i will buy you 1 drink at lady drink prices then i will only buy you beer at customer prices which is allowed. She has the choice then as they say up to you. 

I can't drink anymore ... yeah, usual story... so I tell them that I only want a coke, buy one drink for whatever lady I sit beside, not the other way round, and then ask the usual and tell her I'm nit hanging around , so , as they themselves say, " Up to You " . Most are quite happy to go after the one. 

5 hours ago, ChangMaiSausage said:

Your friend who told you he takes his own bottle into the bar sounds full of shit (unless he owns the bar, or he is paying in other ways)  Many people buy a large bottle of Sang Som, if its not finished at the end of the night it will normally be put back on the shelf waiting your return.

I personally can not stand girls who hang around for a drink, if she is interested and your are interested in her then buy her a drink the rest will come naturally (don't continue with the drinks all night, take out of the bar to another then you wont get roped in buying other working friends drink)  You pick the bar.

At the end of the day you don't sound too pissed, if you having a good time who cares enjoy yourself your not harming anyone else (the girls will just think all farang will buy them loads of drinks.  They know residents when they see them LOL. 

its fairly common to bring your bottle, you usually pay for "corkage" and then just buy the mixers from the bar. 

Roger Harris,,,,, spoken like a real wa   r....

Stay home,,,,,the girls don't need your pocket money.

Some people are real miseries ?

• Like 2

I would feel quite uncomfortable, having to pay someone to come and sit with me

Massage my ego, laughing at my unfunny jokes and finding it hilarious, when I try to speak Thai badly .

A game of pool, a game of connect 4 , sit down , smile, tell me endless lies............so, your rent money needs paying this week ?

Today is your birthday , is it ?

You havent had sex for three years and you are feeling quite horny ?

Would you like another drink........................?

11 hours ago, Chou Anou said:

If a woman sits with and spends time with you, you can always tip her directly before you leave.  She'll get all the money (not a "split with the bar"), and be fairly compensated for her time.  You won't be helping her meet whatever "lady drink quota" the bar might have set for her, but that's not your problem.

True. I used to do that. I'd give them what they would have earned as their cut of a lady drink.

However, in a bar with greedy/ desperate girls buying ONE lady drink for ONE lady worked to stop all the other ones constantly asking me to buy them drinks.

However, lately I don't care and refuse to buy any of them a drink, but that's OK as I'm in Chiang Mai, and there are hardly any girls in the bars, so the hassling is only short lived.

Depending on how long I stay in the bar, I do give a variable tip, which is shared between them all.

• Like 1

Unless you wish to talk to her, simply politely ignore her, then no need to buy her drinks.

If you wish to talk to her, then buy her a drink when you get a drink.

If you choose to play pool or connect4, then something like a drink if she wins 2 out of 3 games. This can then segway into chatting for ten minutes before you repeat with more pool.

Ignore friends of hers and try to focus on one girl at a time.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JayBird said:

Ignore friends of hers and try to focus on one girl at a time.

Could try focusing on real life friends, who choose to be there with you ?

Rather than paid for company 

6 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Could try focusing on real life friends, who choose to be there with you ?

Rather than paid for company 

I go into a good few bars and talk to friends no need to buy drinks to talk.