Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
webfact

The latest hit - protection from sun and rain - now there's only the police to worry about!

A great fuel saving device and perfect excuse for why they are zig zaging all over the road (tacking)

• Like 2

I moved to Xuzhou in February this year and was surprised to see these things on electric bikes and scooters everywhere. As I have never seen them anywhere else in China in the past 12 years, I thought they must be a local thing but I was so surprised to also see them here in Chiang Mai while on R&R for a month.

I too thought originally that a big gust of wind would turn them into Mary Poppins copycats!:laugh::laugh:

• Like 1

The main point is, that you get stuck with your knee-pads in the plastic while cornering.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I remember discussing exactly this with a friend a few years ago, after I had got completely drowned one day riding home in miserable weather. I said that if someone could make something sturdy, functional, safe and cheap they would make a fortune, as every bike would want one. We even got to some preliminary sketches on a design to see how it would need to be attached. I am glad that someone has now done it, and I will be buying one when I see them for sale. I note though the comment that they were good "if you didn't go too fast" which seems sensible given the wind factor.

Just be sure to check if your friend's name is on the manufacturer's list!  The age old invention swipe! (of course just joking... i have come up with many ideas myself, only to see them on market a short time later which has led me to believe that usually many people think alike around the world. What i think, others will think also. It's just a matter of who does first.)

• Like 1

"Thai Rath gave no explanation about the different grades or why B and C were the same price." ....LOL.  The use of 'grades' in this kind of application does make me a little concerned though.

I've seen something very similar in Udon a few years back where the lady at "99+1" bar rented out bikes with them on with stiff plastic as the wind shield that extended overhead.  As I recall though, I don't think they had sides on that version, which would be fine so long as it wasn't sideways rain.

14 minutes ago, fxe1200 said:

The main point is, that you get stuck with your knee-pads in the plastic while cornering.

I've never tried taking my scooter 63 degrees out of vertical for cornering.  You first...

The taxi drivers who have them will be more popular with customers.

.......though millions will be sold .....

only a few will attach it to their moppet .

the rest will attach two tents together and live in it ...........

A house for 500 bht ?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, impulse said:

A few years back in the USA, I was considering importing aftermarket LED lighting that hadn't been approved yet by the DOT.  I found out that if I sold something for use on a motor vehicle that wasn't DOT approved, not only could the user be fined, but I could be fined up to $5,000 (weak memory, but that's the number that sticks in my mind) for every one that I sold.  Quickly abandoned that plan.

Somehow, I can't see that being the case here, but if a few of these things get blown over in a heavy wind, killing 2 or 3 riders at a whack, I wouldn't want to be the importer or the manufacturer.  Especially if they get blown right into a HiSo Mercedes...

At least they'll already be wrapped in their very own body bag!

6 hours ago, johng said:

Maybe a bit dangerous !  :shock1:

In a strong wind  that could either fly off or produce massive side force  to topple or push you under the wheels of the speeding Minivan/concrete truck/tour-bus or "four too naa"

I concur. They will be the cause of many accidents. 

6 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I remember discussing exactly this with a friend a few years ago, after I had got completely drowned one day riding home in miserable weather. I said that if someone could make something sturdy, functional, safe and cheap they would make a fortune, as every bike would want one. We even got to some preliminary sketches on a design to see how it would need to be attached. I am glad that someone has now done it, and I will be buying one when I see them for sale. I note though the comment that they were good "if you didn't go too fast" which seems sensible given the wind factor.

Yes how many people do you think would actually adhere to the speed. These things are dangerous to other road users. I really would not want this to become legal. There might be a few users (you probably you seem sensible) that use them in the right way, but many will speed and these things then get blown off and hit someone else obstructing their vision. 

Sounds like a good way to slow down the drivers. Speeding bikers here is really a problem.