Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation

Hello Thaivisa,

I am asking for recommendations for opening a bank account on a tourist visa. I am a single father of 2 children and I plan on getting a non O visa based on my children being half Thai and I am their sole legal gardian.

My problem is that they require 400k in a Thai bank account and it seems every bank I go into required a work permit to open an account.

I realize that every branch sets it's own rules. Does anyone have any RECENT experience in opening an account on a tourist visa.

Thanks

• Like 1

we hear on and off about bank accounts tied to work permits; how foolish, sure might be laziness on the bank's part; logically tho, i have been retired for a long time, what does that have to do with a work permit 'required' to open a bank account ?!

• Like 1

Not sure where you applying for a visa at. You could get a single entry non-o in Laos with no financial proof.

With many banks it makes a difference if you have some firm proof of address to show. If the immigration office where you are located will do a certificate of residency  that would help with opening an account.

Bangkok Bank requirement are here. http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/DailyBanking/Accounts/SavingsAccounts/Pages/default.aspx

• Like 1

Despite what is said most banks will simply say no without a long stay visa - yes, they say they will do it on their website, but they'll still say no because it's all too hard for them.

The way to get around it is to take a thai person with you, they sign a sort of guarantor form, then it's all settled. Works perfectly with Bangkok Bank. 

3 hours ago, Idiotabroad said:

I am asking for recommendations for opening a bank account on a tourist visa.

Where/what region are you staying?

As Ubonjoe suggested. Get a proof of your residency from your local immigration office. Then take to Kasikorn bank. They will open an account for you with card and book and web access.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I opened an account with Kasikorn in Pattaya whilst here on a 60 day tourist visa. Was only asked to show my passport with the visa. Was Given an ATM card immediately (510 baht per year). I still have and use that account. I am here permanently now on a family visa but have never had a problem with Kasikorn bank.

• Like 1

From a recent post, by Tanoshi,  on another thread.

"Yes you can. Just look through the banks websites for the conditions.

As an example;

.http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/SpecialServices/ForeignCustomers/Pages/Account.aspx
Even if you are in Thailand for only a short visit, you can open a savings account and get a debit card, which are convenient and cost-effective ways to manage your everyday finances.

A Bangkok Bank savings account is the first step to accessing our products and services. Savings accounts are passbook-based and you can also apply for a Be1st Debit card, which can be used at ATMs and to make purchases.

Tourists include the following visa types: Tourist, Transit, Visa on Arrival, Exemption Visa, Non-Immigrant MT
and S."

A friend opened one in Bank of Ayudhya  near Asoke (BKK) whilst on a 30 day Tourist Visa about 2 months ago ....

Took 15 mins, walked out with bank book and ATM card....

• Like 1

Just now, Idiotabroad said:

Thanks for all the replys.

I am in Bangkok and I appreciate all your suggestions.

Bank of Ayudhya  near Asoke (BKK) whilst on a 30 day Tourist Visa about 2 months ago ....

Took 15 mins, walked out with bank book and ATM card. . . .

looks like that's worth a shot, next to BTS and MRT too

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Happy enough said:

Bank of Ayudhya  near Asoke (BKK) whilst on a 30 day Tourist Visa about 2 months ago ....

Took 15 mins, walked out with bank book and ATM card. . . .

looks like that's worth a shot, next to BTS and MRT too

I'll be there Monday morning

Thanks a lot

Posted (edited)

Well, these are just informations to people who are interested in these things and don't have the exact infos.

I spent 35 days in LoS, from the end of January to the beginning of Mars 2017. I'm back home now.

On my 3rd day in LoS, I went to immigration office in Jomtien, I applied for residence certificate. in the application i mentioned that i needed for MC DL and to open a bank account.

All I needed was :

- a copy of the passport, the stamp from the airport (30 days) and the departure card.

- a copy of the receipt that i had already paid the hotel for 30 days

- 2 pass photos

- 400 Baht

After about an hour I got 2 certificates !

Thai Bank account:

I went first to Bangkok bank, I tried but then i changed my mind cause

- ATM card i was offered costed 700 Baht....

- That card is free of charge if I use it in ATMs in BKK and Chon buri regions but not free in the rest of LoS.

So I went to KrugSri bank. I opened the account and paid 300 Baht and got a debit card, I can use in ATMs in the whole nation free of charge....

post-140158-0-35528100-1488742938_thumb.jpg

Edited by ubonjoe
Changed to default font, Forum Netiquette 1. Please do not post in all capital letters, bold, unusual fonts, sizes or colors. It can be difficult to read.
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, lordblackader said:

Despite what is said most banks will simply say no without a long stay visa - yes, they say they will do it on their website, but they'll still say no because it's all too hard for them.

The way to get around it is to take a thai person with you, they sign a sort of guarantor form, then it's all settled. Works perfectly with Bangkok Bank. 

I walked into Kasikorn bank at Lake Ratchada Office Tower last month and opened an account with only a tourist visa and 300 baht.  

Didn't have to show anything except my passport.

All very helpful.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm hearing some banks in the tourists areas like Nana are now opening bank accounts for tourists to boost their financial numbers.

No doubt with all the loss of jobs, less tourists traveling, less money spent, and low interest rates for so long makes for less bank savers and less cash flow for banks. 

The northern flood problems create more cash flow problems for farmers, business people and banks.

All banks worldwide need more liquidity now.