Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
rooster59

Old NGV canister takes off like a torpedo and ploughs into neighbor's living room

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, masuk said:

What exactly in "NGV"  ?

NGV is just petroleum gas under pressure of course.  Normally it's quite safe but not like the guy said, it was lying in the sun and then he bang the top hard. He was asking to see Mr. Grim Reaper

Edited by madusa
add words

1 hour ago, Dan5 said:

I'll comment anyway you jerk. This type of things happens also in the US and I'm sure in many other countries. But unfortunately this forum is loaded with jerks like you who need to get their kicks bashing Thais. 

Yer... it does... but we try to learn from our mistakes thru ongoing education and implementation of rules and safeguards... at home, the incidents of this nature are generally due to bottles falling over. Unsecured bottles are a cardinal sin.

last year another Thai scrap merchant destroyed his neighbourhood by trying to oxy cut apart an old mine

you say "what?"... I say "what?"... a true story of stupidity.

• Like 1

Was it CNG or LNG in the cylinder?

LNG would require it to be in a cryogenic container...so probably CNG at 3000 PSI
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dan5 said:

Was it CNG or LNG in the cylinder?

If it was powering a vehicle it would have been CNG.

Posted (edited)

Yaa

North korea spies will pick up this technology to use it for longer distance missiles. ??

Edited by Foozool
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

This accusation of Thai bashing really is tiring.  It's a government admitted fact that the education level is low in Thailand compared to the World and other Asian countries.

How many Thai's understand gas pressure?   You would think it would be common sense to relieve gas pressure in a gas cylinder prior to knocking the valve off.  Glad the outcome was no deaths or bad injuries. 

Edited by Elkski

It reminds me of the report I read here on TV about 3 years ago where a scrap merchant in Bangkok managed to get hold of a WW2 bomb dropped by the RAF - I think they were using some form of welding apparatus to open it when it finally exploded  - some 70 years later!

ok  Question, shouldn't the debris on the floor be on the other side of the hole ?

When I was a kid in high school, a large oxygen bottle fell over and broke off the valve. I didn't see it happen but I did see the nice round hole through the block wall. No one was hurt and the cylinder stopped in the grass yard before it got to the street. From then on, the bottles were chained in place. It was definitely a good learning experience.

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Gary A said:

When I was a kid in high school, a large oxygen bottle fell over and broke off the valve. I didn't see it happen but I did see the nice round hole through the block wall. No one was hurt and the cylinder stopped in the grass yard before it got to the street. From then on, the bottles were chained in place. It was definitely a good learning experience.

On a summer construction job during high school, I was nearly hit by oxygen and acetylene cylinders that fell from about 3 or 4 stories up when a freight lift gave way.  Fortunately they remained intact.

I hope someone was holding his beer when he did that.

Edited by Damrongsak

Should have had a collar to stop it becoming a torpedo, Standard practice

Gas bottle.jpg

The large green oxygen bottles for a cutting torch have no protection collar. They should have but they don't. I have a MIG welder and the CO2 bottle also has no collar. It contains about 3,000 PSI. It would also be a missile if the valve were broken off.

50 minutes ago, Gary A said:

The large green oxygen bottles for a cutting torch have no protection collar. They should have but they don't. I have a MIG welder and the CO2 bottle also has no collar. It contains about 3,000 PSI. It would also be a missile if the valve were broken off.

We have Alumiino thermic welders working with us to weld Rail.Gas and oxygen bottles used for pre heat have collars or they don't make it onto a site, Has been standard practice since I started 30 years ago.

• Thanks 1