Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
Leo999

Lets start a metal band in Bangkok

janclaes47    825
6 hours ago, jenifer d said:

actually, several times the head of our provincial immigration office asks me to sing a bit when i come in for my 90-day report, he usually requests either a few bars of "Hotel California" or "Sang Kha Ou"

Because the head of YOUR provincial immigration office allows YOU to perform doesn't make it a rule or law.

6 hours ago, jenifer d said:

in the case of music, often they look the other way, consider it "jamming" and not actually working, especially if they don't see money changing hands...

Often I can cross the road with my eyes closed, but that doesn't mean I would advise it to anyone else.

GooEng    241
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, SpeakeasyThai said:

Why form a heavy metal band? Dreadful noise.

opinions are like bum holes.  everyone's got one.

Edited by GooEng

Moon6966    4

I also play guitar. Not only metal but I like some metal. But I'm not in Thailand now. Maybe you can give some contact info

fusion58    171
On 8/6/2017 at 7:57 PM, janclaes47 said:

Rules are pretty clear. If you were being paid to perform you need a wp. If you play for free for fun then you don't  also need a wp.

This has always been my understanding as well, although I've heard stories about bars or clubs in Bangkok where farangs don't need work permits to play because the proprietors have some sort of "understanding" with the BIB.

fusion58    171
On 8/6/2017 at 7:55 PM, Here2008 said:

Except that playing for free perhaps condemns Thai musicians to not receiving an engagement/income ?  

That's the reasoning employed by the powers that be.

However, IMO, it's a raw deal for fans of live music who would prefer to hear, say, real American music instead of the usual Thai knock-off version.

dddave    1,989
Posted (edited)

On Sukhumvit Soi 8 (Nana BTS, Exit-4) is a bar named Det-5 (200+ yards on left side) that has jams Monday nights...you might find some like minded musicians there.

The only time casual bands usually run into problems playing small joints is when a nearby competing bar gets P.O'd and calls the BIB.  Happened to a friend of mine playing in a little bar in Surin...Cops just told him he couldn't play.  Feuds between bars are not uncommon. 

Edited by dddave

bkk6060    594

Nothing I hate worse then watching old farts playing in a band trying to pretend they are 20 years old.

siam2007    1,130

Foo Fighters play at IMPACT on August 24. I thought this might interest some people here in this topic.

Sorry for posting this even though I am that old fart pretending to be 20 years old (in my case, I even pretend to be just 19 years old)