Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
webfact

Sattahip-Koh Chang ferry starts in September, new service linking Chonburi and Prachuap also planned

Dave67    1,045

Takes four hours from Pattaya to Koh Chang , so how long is a boat going to take for a similar distance?

• Like 1

LammyTS1    239
Posted (edited)

I see they mention a car ferry service elsewhere to be introduced. 

Why not have one on this route so people can drive to Sattahip & straight onto the ferry?

Also assuming there is no provision for bikes. Would hope there is but as per the Hua Hin route...probably not. 

Edited by LammyTS1
  • Like 1

garbolino    41
2 hours ago, aslimversgwm said:

Where in hell's name is Sattahip?

do you NOT KNOW how to use GOOGLE MAPS ....or any other mapping websites ???

impulse    11,623

The factor that keeps getting left off the price/time discussion is that most tourists didn't bring their car from home when they hopped on the plane to Thailand, and most locals don't own a car- 75-80% of the vehicles are scooters.  Driving themselves isn't even an option for them, unless they rent a car.

• Like 1

bberrythailand    104
8 hours ago, pattjock said:

Why use Sattahip for the koh Chang ferry when the main customer base is in Pattaya, makes no sense at all.

If you have to make arrangement for transport from Pattaya to Sattahip you might just as well go all the way down to Trat and take the ferry there.

Tazi mafia needs money !

"The new service will run from Chuk Samet pier in Sattahip and Bang Bao pier on Koh Chang, officials from the Marine Department have confirmed."

Any safe car park there ?

"In addition, the Marine Department also plans to launch a car ferry service between the Chuk Samet pier and Pranburi in Prachuap Khiri Khan."

Yes, for sure I will put a 10mb car on a dangerous old ferry to cross a very tough sea !

Sydebolle    1,355

The ONE BILLION BAHT pier - wondering how they want to write-off that investment with ferry services ;-) 

bruceamstutz    14
On ‎8‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 11:12 PM, pattjock said:

Why use Sattahip for the koh Chang ferry when the main customer base is in Pattaya, makes no sense at all.

If you have to make arrangement for transport from Pattaya to Sattahip you might just as well go all the way down to Trat and take the ferry there.

Think they are betting on the come....Utapao Airport is getting more flights of tourists in and out all the time.  

OJAS    893
On 8/7/2017 at 0:54 PM, pumpjack said:

no need to make that suicidal mini bus trip again.

Nope, could be a suicidal sea voyage instead if the wind gets up!

impulse    11,623
15 hours ago, OJAS said:

Nope, could be a suicidal sea voyage instead if the wind gets up!

In a warm sea with a life jacket, I'm pretty sure I have the swimming skills to survive a ferry accident.

No amount of skill or equipment can help me survive a fiery van wreck.

• Like 1

johng    3,023

a cold beverage or 6, and watch the water going by.  Or white knuckle it in downtown traffic.  Hmmm.

Only non alcoholic beverages allowed on Thai public transportation

Sent from my ASUS_Z00LD using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

impulse    11,623
Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, johng said:

Only non alcoholic beverages allowed on Thai public transportation

Though I don't drink, I'm still ambivalent about that.  

On one hand, the vast majority of people who can handle their toddies would enjoy, and it would be an excellent earner for the ferry operator.

On the other hand, the few people who cannot handle their booze can sure make life miserable for the rest, especially in a confined space with no easy escape.

They do serve alcohol on airplanes, no?  And the ferry service is run by a private company?  And in a pinch, brown envelopes trump all regulations? May not be a problem.  They may even be able to run short time rooms and see business skyrocket.

Edited by impulse