Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
webfact

Leave our dolphins alone - petition started to save Pattaya roundabout!

Leave our dolphins alone - petition started to save Pattaya roundabout!

1pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Pattaya people have been outraged by plans to rip out one of the resorts most loved landmarks.

And now a petition has been started to save the dolphin roundabout in North Pattaya.

Hundreds have signed already to save the roundabout that engineers say must go to improve traffic flow.

A group called Pattaya Watchdog even produced a sad farewell mock-up to the beloved traffic circle. Pictured lit up at night it said:

"R.I.P. You will always be in our memories. Dolphin Roundabout."

The group has called on Pattaya mayor Anan Charoenchasri to quash plans to rip it out and instead come up with something else in consultation with Pattaya people.

They said that the landmark had been named as one of the twelve most beautiful in the world in 2015 by the "British Roundabout Association".

Daily News reported that there had been an online storm of protest at the moves to rip out the roundabout. So far 300 people have signed the protest petition on campaign site change.org.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-08-08

22 minutes ago, webfact said:

Hundreds have signed already to save the roundabout that engineers say must go to improve traffic flow.

Thousand could give a rats arse less and want better traffic flow and safety.:ph34r: Turn it into sushi. 

• Haha 1

The city population is being shafted by the powers that be ....
however they can organise complaints about this kind of trivia......... 
Maybe Pattaya deserves itself.:sad:

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

am I missing something, that roundabout is the most uncongested junction in the whole of Pattaya, at least it is when I have ever used it, more roundabouts across the city might actually improve traffic flow, all they need to do is force them to use them properly but that would require some level of law enforcement   

• Like 2

4 hours ago, champers said:

A possible solution could be to keep the roundabout and install traffic lights to control flow. Cameras ought to be installed too to capture those running red lights. The left turn up Nua and U turn to get to the beach needs to dissappear.

This type of arrangement is common in the UK but usually at larger roundabouts.

Something has to be done in readiness for the opening of Terminal 21, otherwise chaos will ensue.

The "plan" as presented in a graphic in the original Dolphin roundabout thread shows a 4-way intersection, all controlled by traffic lights with slip roads for the Dusit entrance and Naklua Soi 24. No more u-turns.

5989558db4ceb_dollfin.jpg.9635141612c7be498f398903901aac27.jpg

• Like 1

Considering how many people here actually know how to use one properly, I propose the following replacement...

image.thumb.png.9cd09b61a1ee477975b189076028400e.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, smedly said:

am I missing something, that roundabout is the most uncongested junction in the whole of Pattaya, at least it is when I have ever used it, more roundabouts across the city might actually improve traffic flow, all they need to do is force them to use them properly but that would require some level of law enforcement   

Roundabouts are a product of those damned farangs and you know how much they loath adopting anything Western here apart from um mobiles , cars , a/c , electricity , ATM's ,  etc etc .. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, khwaibah said:

Thousand could give a rats arse less and want better traffic flow and safety.:ph34r: Turn it into sushi. 

2 hours ago, smedly said:

am I missing something, that roundabout is the most uncongested junction in the whole of Pattaya, at least it is when I have ever used it,

Agreed. Personally I think traffic lights as planned will create more congestion and more accidents from red light running when there is less traffic about.

I vote to leave the roundabout there. It would be a shame to see it go. 

The majority of Thai drivers will never be able to get to grips with that layout shown in the plan, as well as probably many foreigners. It will be utter mayhem with accidents galore.

GoodLuck, I remember that when they removed the roundabout in my area, which was a drastic improvement to the traffic flow, it took the contractors six months to do it. In that 6 months of cos, due to poor planning they cause traffic jams for a few hours everyday.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, smedly said:

There can be some very long tailbacks on 2nd Road when the BIB are stopping motorcyclists to issue fines.

I wonder if their box will remain in place when Terminal 21 opens. Where will the parking and delivery entrances and exits be for Terminal 21?

I have no problems with roundabouts in Thailand. This is a landmark and it would be sad to see it go. Where can I sign the petition ?