Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
andyr45

Advice sought on medical insurance and personal accident plans

I am needing to purchase a medical insurance policy  and am seeking to combine it with a personal accident insurance plan.  It would be really helpful if any member has any pointers to offer 

specifically -  

1. The name of an insurance company and accident insurer that you can recommend. 

I would be looking to find a medical insurance policy that covers in patient care

2. Suggestions for making the above mix of insurance and accident policy cost effective?

Any advice would be helpful.

Posted (edited)

My one is Thai with  "  www.thailife.com "  l was happy with cover because l didn't start it until 68.

32,000 per year for health cover until 99 yr,  2000 per year accident cover until 80 yr.

It comes with 100,000 payment in either situation on popping clogs.

Edited by Kwasaki
  • Like 1

l withdraw my claim that health care is ideal for me, just got a renewal through of 10,000 baht hike, the 32,000 was supposed to be the same for 10 years they lied to us as l see it.

33 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

l withdraw my claim that health care is ideal for me, just got a renewal through of 10,000 baht hike, the 32,000 was supposed to be the same for 10 years they lied to us as l see it.

I was just about to respond and say i had the same and after the first year it suddenly went up by 8000bht a year. Rang them explained i was told no rise in premium untill i was 70. There answer you must have misheard and its not in writing anywhere on policy. My fault should have read the whole thing however would i have looked for that in the first place. Cancelled the policy they even tried to charge me for that no chance.

Looking around for a new provider.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jeab1980 said:

I was just about to respond and say i had the same and after the first year it suddenly went up by 8000bht a year. Rang them explained i was told no rise in premium untill i was 70. There answer you must have misheard and its not in writing anywhere on policy. My fault should have read the whole thing however would i have looked for that in the first place. Cancelled the policy they even tried to charge me for that no chance.

Looking around for a new provider.

Thanks if you find one please let me know,  l've been conned l guess no surprised there,  l don't think they will come around the house somehow my Mrs is livid.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Thanks if you find one please let me know,  l've been conned l guess no surprised there,  l don't think they will come around the house somehow my Mrs is livid.

Talking to a new one tonight will let you know by pm if thats ok

• Thanks 1

I've had BUPA for about 30 years and have always had good service. BUPA Thailand has very reasonable premiums and you can choose from about four levels to suit your needs. You can choose to have only in-patient cover which drastically reduces the premium too.

I have done alot of research on personal accident insurance and found that Bangkok Insurance had the best policy - better than adding it to my BUPA. I recommend you check them out in your own search. You can go directly to any Bangkok Insurance office to sign up for it.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Antonymous said:

I've had BUPA for about 30 years and have always had good service. BUPA Thailand has very reasonable premiums and you can choose from about four levels to suit your needs. You can choose to have only in-patient cover which drastically reduces the premium too.

I have done alot of research on personal accident insurance and found that Bangkok Insurance had the best policy - better than adding it to my BUPA. I recommend you check them out in your own search. You can go directly to any Bangkok Insurance office to sign up for it.

Accident insurance is easy to come by in Thailand at most ages my one is up to 80 year old, l reckon the cover amounts are reflected in how much you pay.

Health insurance is separate in my case the amount you pay as l have just found out is on age,  l don't think Bupa would be affordable at 70 yr old unless maybe you have been with them a long time.

If l knew what l knew now l would of just saved the money to one side.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Antonymous said:

I don't know what you consider reasonable and maybe you pay less because you started the policy 30 years ago, but when I was getting quotes on insurance last year as I remember BUPA was over $500/month for out patient only. I ended up getting MSI for less than $400/month and AXA and CIGNA were just a little more. And I think all of them include accident coverage. Of course the coverage was ridiculously high for Thailand. 2 million dollars/year. But it seemed like the choices were too low or too high coverage.

Just now, Dan5 said:

I don't know what you consider reasonable and maybe you pay less because you started the policy 30 years ago, but when I was getting quotes on insurance last year as I remember BUPA was over $500/month for out patient only. I ended up getting MSI for less than $400/month and AXA and CIGNA were just a little more. And I think all of them include accident coverage. Of course the coverage was ridiculously high for Thailand. 2 million dollars/year. But it seemed like the choices were too low or too high coverage.

Correction. I mean in patient, not out patient.

9 minutes ago, Dan5 said:

I pay about one tenth of that for BUPA Thailand Ruby policy, which provides adequate coverage for me in Thailand.

My guess is that your BUPA quote was for BUPA International for international (anywhere) coverage. If you live permanently in Thailand, as I do, the Thailand policy is all you need.

Short term travel insurance (usually cheap) can be taken out on an ad hoc basis.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Dan5 said:

Correction. I mean in patient, not out patient.

All your quotes seem exeptionally high. I have just received a quote for USD 3,697.20 per year. This was from Regency for Expats for health coverage as in patient.

Edited by ResandePohm

Bupa Thailand has just been sold to a US Health provider. Am waiting to see what changes they make.

12 minutes ago, Antonymous said:

I pay about one tenth of that for BUPA Thailand Ruby policy, which provides adequate coverage for me in Thailand.

My guess is that your BUPA quote was for BUPA International for international (anywhere) coverage. If you live permanently in Thailand, as I do, the Thailand policy is all you need.

Short term travel insurance (usually cheap) can be taken out on an ad hoc basis.

Yes, I'm pretty sure it was. And I also live permanently in Thailand and don't need the international coverage. I can always buy some short term coverage for a week or so when I travel. How much coverage do you have? Where can I get a quote? My policy is up for renewal in November.

1 minute ago, Dan5 said:

Yes, I'm pretty sure it was. And I also live permanently in Thailand and don't need the international coverage. I can always buy some short term coverage for a week or so when I travel. How much coverage do you have? Where can I get a quote? My policy is up for renewal in November.

BUPA Thailand has offices all over. Or go to their website (or call them) if you are not located near to one. I've had very professional service from them always. You can choose the level of policy to suit your own needs from Sapphire, Ruby, Diamond, etc policies.