Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
webfact

Rabies outbreak in downtown Hua Hin - authorities cordon off area

A few years ago my friend was bitten near the police station. He was treated at Bangkok hospital, the first jab was 19000 baht. I thought it was a mistake so went back with him to check. The pharmacist told me that no it was not a mistake that was the cost of the main anti Rabies jab followed by more injections at a much lower cost. I think the city council should pick up the tab as they are turning a blind eye, nothing new in that.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, webfact said:

Busaba urged dog and cat owners to have their pets vaccinated for free, reported Daily News.

Where do we go to get our pets vaccinated for free?

13 hours ago, edwinchester said:

Well that initiative didn't seem to last long.

Is it 2020 already???

1 hour ago, chocdee120 said:

A few years ago my friend was bitten near the police station. He was treated at Bangkok hospital, the first jab was 19000 baht. I thought it was a mistake so went back with him to check. The pharmacist told me that no it was not a mistake that was the cost of the main anti Rabies jab followed by more injections at a much lower cost. I think the city council should pick up the tab as they are turning a blind eye, nothing new in that.

Been ripped off. How would a average Thai afford to pay 19000? 

Google quotes around 400 baht.

Man I was reading about rabies on wiki.  No wonder Thai officials seemed to get concerned.  Once a human has symptoms they basically will die.  Only 6 people have ever survived.  Symptoms can take a week to 6 months to appear.   Washing the exposure site for 15 mins with soap and water can help.   

Exposure can be a bite or saliva getting on the eyes, or nose tissue. 

The scary thing is some other dog or source gave it to this black dog. 

the black dog was taken in after its brain was examind,why didnt they do the officials at the same time.

8 hours ago, chocdee120 said:

Thais are treated free as emergency case, Mrs got bitten last year never paid anything for the injections

Stand 5 Hours in an immigration queue; have a scary, death defying ride in a Minivan to HuaHin and get bitten by a Rabid dog.

Welcome to Thailand.

Then get ripped off by a Jet Ski operator or drowned by a speed boat.

Hua Hin declared temporary rabies outbreak zone

By The Nation

Hua Hin beach has been declared a rabies outbreak area following attacks by a stray dog with rabies.

Phittaya Kanama, chief livestock officer of Hua Hin district in Prachuap Khiri Khan, announced on Tuesday that Tambon Hua Hin from Kraikungwol Palace to the Khao Phithak community will be monitored for a month due to rabies concerns. The centre of the zone is considered a three kilometre radius from the Poolsuk community.

Phittaya said he took the measure after a black dog bit local residents and foreigners and others dogs and cats on Saturday. 

The dog died during quarantine and a lab test found it had rabies.

Hua Hin Hospital reported that 15 people were bitten by dogs and received rabies vaccine.

Phittaya said livestock officials have provided vaccinations to 18 dogs and cats that were attacked by the dog.

He said livestock officials and officials from the Hua Hin stray dog shelter have vaccinated stray dogs in the area.

He said another brown dog was suspected to have rabies and was being quarantined at the Rak Sunak Hua Hin dog shelter. He said the dog shelter is now taking care of almost 1,000 dogs and could not take more stray dogs.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30323291

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-08-09

• Like 1

Not so easy as idiot do gooders stick collars on strays so they will not be carted off, there is only one cure for 4 million strays and that's killing them and burning the bodies. Offering a bounty of a few baht for every soi dog corpse brought in would soon get over any Buddhist morals. 

I know what you're saying but just having a collar on shouldn't mean exemption from being rounded up,
if it is roaming around without its "owner" present and controling it then take it to the pound...where the "owner" can then come and collect it after paying a suitable fine...the fine should increase for persistent offending owners with last resort of confiscating the animal.

Fully agree with the rest of your comments.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00LD using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Posted (edited)
On ‎8‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 8:34 PM, mikebell said:

That's me.  Repeated wide scale slaughter will eradicate the problem.  New dogs will not come along as it's hard to reproduce if you're dead.

Agree entirely - this is how some of the reproducing takes place.  Many of these soi dogs have wretched lives - mercy killing is the way forward.  If left to Thais, rat poison is used.

Yeap.  Count me in, too.  Soi dogs don't really need much human assistance to reproduce ...  And the population ISN'T entirely due to owners who have abandoned their animals, OR who fail to spay/neuter them, although that undoubtedly worsens the problem and further complicates any solution.  Even if the country actually HAD animal control rounding them all up and turning them over to an SPCA, what do you think THEY would eventually have to do with the animals that didn't get adopted, as most would not?   Just leaving them be in the name of "compassion" to live out their lives and be dealt with as soi dogs and proliferate is actually the cruelest option!

Oh, and THEN there's rabies.   'Reason enough to get a handle on the situation!   I can't help but wonder how many kids out in the sticks get bitten by infected animals, don't appreciate the threat, wait too long for treatment (easy to do), and die rabies deaths that go unreported because no one wants to accept the blame for failure to recognize the danger or the early symptoms.  (Actually, if I understand correctly, once any symptoms become apparent, it's already too late.)  And not a particularly pleasant way to go...

Edited by hawker9000
  • Like 2

Removed a post without a link to the source of quoted text, and the replies to it.

12 hours ago, meatboy said:

the black dog was taken in after its brain was examind,why didnt they do the officials at the same time.

They could hazard a reasonable guess as to where the dog's was located.