Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
webfact

The roads won’t get safer on their own

Artisi    7,263

On the whole , the roads aren't too bad, they are just cluttered up with idiots. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

les Dennis    80

Failing someone at the driving test centre would be a start. Rather than giving them another go at passing the brake test (after hypothetically hitting the car in front) send them away and re apply a month or so later.

jesimps    2,926
9 hours ago, darksidedog said:

On the dashboard actually. Matters are unlikely to improve when so many naively believe they have divine protection.

I think you mean rear view mirror. That's what it's there for isn't it?

jesimps    2,926
14 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Similar to the family opposite me. Their son was drunk on his bike and left half his face on an electricity pole he rode into. The next day I saw his brother roaring off down the road on his own bike, wrong side of the road, no helmet, no lights.

You can't fix stupid, and there's a lot of stupid in Thailand. No common sense at all. None.

The common sense gene closes down when they're 5 yoa.

Echo Tango    104

Three things that will improve this situation:

1) Police-car interceptors on daily patrol.
2) Soul-crushing fines for moving violations.
3) Mandatory sentencing for bribery (5 years minimum).

Autonuaq    86

You can reduce the accidents by at least 250. In the trio i make every day at the same point the same accident .

Pre programmed accidents due the to stupid way of road contraction and the lack of space to let cars in and out.

The laws are there and start to enforce the correct use of the lanes for trucks and cars.learn how to make a colone of vehicles and that 55 km to 70 km makes them move faster in the slow lane that they do now with the police cars in front.

Motorbikes on the right lanes 

Ambilnaces and firetucks with sound and light ... yield them so even more  lifes will be savjuat a starter

Stargrazer9889    898

Most people in Thailand work their jobs in a keyhole system and the stuff they

can't  handle is  in the Not in my Job description.

Geezer

gummy    347
Posted (edited)

Actually the road deaths in Thailand need to worsen significantly compared with China.  Just read a recent article regarding a bus crash that killed a few and in that report it stated

"The World Health Organization estimates that a quarter of a million people were killed on Chinese roads in 2013, the latest year for which figures are available."

Now if only we could get Thais to aim for that figure  then in 40 years time the roads should be a lot safer for visitors.

Edited by gummy

oldlakey    584
6 hours ago, gummy said:

Actually the road deaths in Thailand need to worsen significantly compared with China.  Just read a recent article regarding a bus crash that killed a few and in that report it stated

"The World Health Organization estimates that a quarter of a million people were killed on Chinese roads in 2013, the latest year for which figures are available."

Now if only we could get Thais to aim for that figure  then in 40 years time the roads should be a lot safer for visitors.

1-35 Billion Chinese as against 68 million Thais

Simple really

If there were 1-35 Billion Thais they would far exceed the Chinese figure without even trying

rickb    154

If the police only enforced two things, driving while intoxicated and speeding, I guarantee that road fatalities would drop dramatically.  But, that takes more police officers and more equipment on the job to do the enforcement.  That would be a big step in the right direction.  But, I'm not holding my breath!

fusion58    171

Part of the reason people are so indifferent to such statistics is because we have no direct experience of such events.

This isn't necessarily true. I know a Thai girl, for example, who survived a near-fatal motorcycle crash and who still drives just as recklessly and carelessly (sometimes while inebriated) as before her accident.

Moral of the story: you can't fix stupid.

wakeupplease    1,643
On 8/9/2017 at 11:02 AM, jesimps said:

I think you mean rear view mirror. That's what it's there for isn't it?

On the bloody phone texting or looking how many likes they have on facebook more likley