Jump to content
Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
webfact

Marijuana use holds three-fold blood pressure death risk: study

Recommended Posts

Would be nice if they included some stats from alcohol and cigarettes (both which are the current legal drugs) just to show which ones are really worse....

 

but nope, I'm afraid the USA is gunna have to wait until all their super old politicians kick the can before they get real with federal marijuana laws. 

 

Good thing I'm from Canada, next forced visit home (after July 2018) will be civilized legal marijuana as it should be 😜

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lemonjelly    4,048

The old fashioned Jamaican sensi was a chilled smoke, but the modern "skunk" strains (white widow etc) did put me on edge. Still sometimes yearn for a good quality block of "Red Lebanese".... prolly extinct now.

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Justgrazing    172
5 hours ago, Gary A said:

If that is wrong on all counts, then it must affect different people in different ways. Many years ago I had a girlfriend who was a pothead.  I wasn't a user but I had a couple puffs from hers. I stopped a traffic light and when the guy behind me honked his horn, The light had turned green, I had no idea where I was at or which way to go.

Sounds like it was good gear then .. :stoner:.. No doubt this emo's gonna be used a few times in the course of this little chinwag .. :smile:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Justgrazing said:

Sounds like it was good gear then .. :stoner:.. No doubt this emo's gonna be used a few times in the course of this little chinwag .. :smile:

:stoner:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Justgrazing    172
12 minutes ago, lemonjelly said:

The old fashioned Jamaican sensi was a chilled smoke, but the modern "skunk" strains (white widow etc) did put me on edge. Still sometimes yearn for a good quality block of "Red Lebanese".... prolly extinct now.

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

 

Red Leb along with other "strains."  of hash like Afghan black , double zero etc are still available in Europe but the scene moved more to homegrown and Bud' or  " green " back in the nineties to the point where green now holds 80/90 % of market share in Brit' Land ..  Not forgetting the synthetic version of ganga called Spice .. Which judging by some of the youtube videos of people who have tooted it you don't want to try .. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jerry787    14

who funded the study ?
how independent was the research ?

indeed what ever kind of warm or cold smoke we inject in our lungs and broncs it's a damaging foreign agent to our lung with several consequences not only blood pressure.

medical cannabis isn't smoked, indeed it's ingested.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
boomerangutang    15,297

In the early 1970's, I was in Wash. DC and met a middle aged man who had been working with a federally appointed commission to study the effects of smoking pot.  After a lot of investigation and interviews, they came up with a conclusion that basically claimed; 'pot is not harmful'.    Nixon didn't like the findings, so he trashed the report.  Nixon started the official 'War on Drugs' .....and look how well that's turned out over the ensuing decades.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
nisakiman    1,121
7 hours ago, webfact said:

If marijuana use is implicated in cardiovascular diseases and deaths, then it rests on the health community and policy makers to protect the public."

 

No, it doesn't rest on the 'health community' and policy makers to 'protect' the public. We've gone much too far down this road already, with the lifestyle police telling us how we should live our lives.

Inform - yes.

Force through application of unjust law - no.

 

'Public Health' has over the past few decades gone from an institution designed to ensure clean water supplies and to react to communicable diseases and has turned into a many-headed serpent intent on micromanaging people's lives according to the latest PC fashion of the day. They've destroyed the pleasures of tobacco with their draconian bans, medico-porn plastered all over the packs and persecution of smokers; they are in the process of trying to do the same with alcohol, already demanding 'warning labels' and 'plain' packaging for booze, plus numerous restrictions on how, when and where you can drink; sugar is the next dragon they wish to slay with punitive legislation, salt too. The list gets ever longer.

 

Oh, they won't run out of stuff to try to ban. Their existence depends on creating scare stories about stuff which they can then lobby gullible politicians (who generally know sweet FA about the stuff they legislate) to ban. They've been at it for years. "Experts have said....", "Research suggests...." are their favourite introductory phrases, usually culminating in "More research is needed...", which roughly translated means "We want more taxpayer's money".

 

If the charlatans in 'Public Health' were all sacked tomorrow, the world would be a better place. And probably healthier, too.

 

They have created a situation in which evidence based policy is a thing of the past. It's all now policy based evidence. Honesty and ethics left the room a long time ago.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Justgrazing    172
2 hours ago, boomerangutang said:

For comparison, let's see a report of risk-assessment of the following.....

 

>>>>  ingesting sugar-laden products

>>>>  trans-fats

>>>>  alcoholic drinks

>>>>  living a city with a lot of traffic

>>>>  residing next to a plastics factory

>>>>  residing in a house with no proper venting for plumbing.

>>>>  sleeping in a bed with dust mites. Very few beds/pillows/bedding are mite-free. Some have up to 200,000/per sq.inch.

an article about mites in bedding;  nytimes.com/2011/03/05/health/05patient.html

 

 

 

Living with a Thai girl should be risk assessed .. Particularly " highly strung " ones .. 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Scott    11,371

Like anything that is classed as a drug, it will have widely varying side affects.   I always enjoy listening to the side affects for drugs -- even life saving drugs -- on television in the US.   Such things as "Side affects may include, constipation, diarrhea, high blood pressure, low blood pressure.....etc., etc., "

 

Studies such as this will have to be replicated in a much more controlled setting, or with more uniform controls.   Many of them are observational type studies, based on reporting by the person.   And those may not be accurate.

 

Like a friend of mine, who is a policeman once said, he feels so sorry for all those people he picks up fro drinking who managed to spent 6 or 7 hours in a bar and get really, really drunk, but only had one beer!"  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bendejo    1,413

It looks like smoking it is going out of style, in favor of vaping and eating it.

Vaping is easier on the respiratory system and the smell not so obvious and permeating.  The high may not be as intense, but this is not a discussion of techniques and euphoric effects. 

 

Eating it is a whole other experience, and in the US states where it is legal the shops heavily promote edibles.  These are full-fledged commercial products with branding, logos, promotional literature, etc.  It has been a very long time since I ate it, and did so only 2 or 3 times (back in the 1970s) .  The experiences, in my case, were not fun.  When I go into a shop the person behind the counter tries to get me to buy edibles:  shut up, kid.

 

With Li'l Jeff-ro Sessions and his hard-on against weed it is no surprise that reports like this are getting media attention, so expect more of them, and with more (supposed) dire consequences.  I suspect the liquor industry has something to do with this, there has been concern that young people buying weed will have less to spend on alcohol.  Expect more stuff like this, and things like "[insert heinous crime here] linked to marijuana use!"  Of course this flies in the face of the populist stance on state's rights issues, with so many states licking their chops over the potential revenue gains from collecting taxes on legalized weed.

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Justgrazing    172
1 hour ago, boomerangutang said:

In the early 1970's, I was in Wash. DC and met a middle aged man who had been working with a federally appointed commission to study the effects of smoking pot.  After a lot of investigation and interviews, they came up with a conclusion that basically claimed; 'pot is not harmful'.    Nixon didn't like the findings, so he trashed the report.  Nixon started the official 'War on Drugs' .....and look how well that's turned out over the ensuing decades.

Might his decision to reject said report be part influenced by the number of stoned G I's ( allegedly ) fighting the other war the U S were involved in at about the same time especially the availability of Narc's in this region .. 

I can only imagine that the requirement for a report came about ( in part .? ) from seeing how U S young people seemed to get be getting high as kits during the late 60's .. at least that's how it appears if you watch any of their music festivals of the time .. I've yet to see one without loads of people with flowers stuck in their hair , doing groovy dancing and smoking joints .. Interesting point you make that ..  :saai:

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Justgrazing    172
8 hours ago, piersbeckett said:

We never used to put the roach in first; is it a filter?

Its that personal choice thing again .. Roach is not a filter per'se but does help the rocket retain some rigidity during blast off .. Some folk prefer the in situ roll .. for others its poked in after roll .. Some rip a strip off the paper packet others use ready cropped .. The rolling of spliffs is such an art of the individual that it's almost as signature as you're handwriting .. 

_20170809_200412.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Justgrazing    172
2 hours ago, bendejo said:

It looks like smoking it is going out of style, in favor of vaping and eating it.

Vaping is easier on the respiratory system and the smell not so obvious and permeating.  The high may not be as intense, but this is not a discussion of techniques and euphoric effects. 

 

Eating it is a whole other experience, and in the US states where it is legal the shops heavily promote edibles.  These are full-fledged commercial products with branding, logos, promotional literature, etc.  It has been a very long time since I ate it, and did so only 2 or 3 times (back in the 1970s) .  The experiences, in my case, were not fun.  When I go into a shop the person behind the counter tries to get me to buy edibles:  shut up, kid.

 

With Li'l Jeff-ro Sessions and his hard-on against weed it is no surprise that reports like this are getting media attention, so expect more of them, and with more (supposed) dire consequences.  I suspect the liquor industry has something to do with this, there has been concern that young people buying weed will have less to spend on alcohol.  Expect more stuff like this, and things like "[insert heinous crime here] linked to marijuana use!"  Of course this flies in the face of the populist stance on state's rights issues, with so many states licking their chops over the potential revenue gains from collecting taxes on legalized weed.

 

 

 

" Shatter " as its known is the purest form of extraction from cannabis plants which in Britland is now the majority form of the drug ( imported hash is a minority player now ) and is usually obtained using a butane gas process .. If folk don't blow thereselves up during that process they're left with an oil that looks like dark honey and when eventually dried resembles a ( thin ) sheet of toffee from which the name shatter is derived .. That is then tooted through a small bong or vaper only a very small amount being required as what is drawn is pretty much pure .. This amongst others is how yoof want their weed nowadays so the culture of the old school spliff made partly with tobacco is not as pop' as it was .. 

Other folk cookie it some coffee it .. 

 

Society at large seems to be undecided .. Some countries are tolerant of it others dead against .. Some nations make money out of it (  tax ) others spend ( alot ) trying to rid of it .. It's medicinal qualities are well known but the controversy surrounding its recro " status make better headlines where its not legal .. Its that personal choice thing again .. :smile:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TallGuyJohninBKK    5,859
10 hours ago, impulse said:

 

 

But on a more serious note, this sounds like a sponsored work either by Big Tobacco, Big Beer or Big Pharma.  I can think of a hundred reasons people prone to high blood pressure may be more likely to smoke pot, and people who smoke pot are likely to be the same people with health problems that had nothing to do with the weed.

 

 

One thing I thought was odd about this study and news report is that the study was done by academics at Georgia State Univ. in the U.S. -- not exactly a hub of major medical research AFAIK. But then, it wasn't even published in a major U.S. medical journal like JAMA, but instead, surfaces in a European cardiology journal. That part seems a bit strange. Why not accepted for publication in one of the major U.S. journals.  Perhaps there is some good reason...

 

I'm not up on marijuana medical research enough to know whether other past research by perhaps more recognized researchers has pointed to any hypertension/blood pressure dangers relating to marijuana.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

BANGKOK 18 August 2017 16:04
Sponsors
×