Jump to content
Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
webfact

Marijuana use holds three-fold blood pressure death risk: study

Recommended Posts

tmifune    6

Who you gonna believe.....

 

    A single use in a new user will increase diastolic blood pressure (no real influence on systolic), and this is subject to tolerance. Heavy users will not experience this acute increase anymore and may instead have a decrease in diastolic blood pressure.

https://examine.com/supplements/marijuana/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7by7    6,296

It seems that some are dismissing the potential ill effects of cannabis because they have never experienced any, neither has anyone they know of.

 

That does not mean that there are no ill effects.

 

Take the two most popular, and legal, recreational drugs; tobacco and alcohol.

 

My father smoked tobacco, cigarettes and a pipe, until he gave up in his early sixties. He died of a heart attack aged 93. using his example one could easily dismiss all the medical evidence and say that smoking was harmless and did not contribute to his death.

 

My brother died of cancer last year aged 68, 4 years after giving up tobacco; thus confirming the medical evidence.

 

So is smoking tobacco harmful or not? Stupid question, no one these days would dispute the harmful effects of tobacco. Although there are those who, whilst acknowledging the health risks,  still propound the medicinal benefits of tobacco use; for example Health Benefits of Smoking Tobacco

 

With alcohol, many, indeed most, people who drink do so without any ill effects; except, if overindulged, a session sometimes calling God on the big white telephone and/or the occasional hangover. Yet no one discounts the medical evidence that alcohol, especially long term use, can be harmful to health.

 

Yet there are people, including posters here, who continuously deny the evidence that cannabis use, especially long term use, can be harmful.

 

Not as harmful as tobacco and alcohol, but not entirely without risk either.

 

Even pro cannabis legalisation sites like Leafly and Herb, whilst playing down the risks, accept that the risks are there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
simple1    6,299
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, 7by7 said:

It seems that some are dismissing the potential ill effects of cannabis because they have never experienced any, neither has anyone they know of.

 

That does not mean that there are no ill effects.

 

Take the two most popular, and legal, recreational drugs; tobacco and alcohol.

 

My father smoked tobacco, cigarettes and a pipe, until he gave up in his early sixties. He died of a heart attack aged 93. using his example one could easily dismiss all the medical evidence and say that smoking was harmless and did not contribute to his death.

 

My brother died of cancer last year aged 68, 4 years after giving up tobacco; thus confirming the medical evidence.

 

So is smoking tobacco harmful or not? Stupid question, no one these days would dispute the harmful effects of tobacco. Although there are those who, whilst acknowledging the health risks,  still propound the medicinal benefits of tobacco use; for example Health Benefits of Smoking Tobacco

 

With alcohol, many, indeed most, people who drink do so without any ill effects; except, if overindulged, a session sometimes calling God on the big white telephone and/or the occasional hangover. Yet no one discounts the medical evidence that alcohol, especially long term use, can be harmful to health.

 

Yet there are people, including posters here, who continuously deny the evidence that cannabis use, especially long term use, can be harmful.

 

Not as harmful as tobacco and alcohol, but not entirely without risk either.

 

Even pro cannabis legalisation sites like Leafly and Herb, whilst playing down the risks, accept that the risks are there.

And? risks with everything in life. These days I rarely drink, don't smoke and no longer use illegal drugs, but I drive a car. Statistically at greater risk driving a car than if I were still using grass, so do I stop driving as well?

Edited by simple1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
IAMHERE    1,116

Are these the same scientist that said masturbation would make me go blind? I think they may be but I don't see them.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
F4UCorsair    2,853
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, IAMHERE said:

Areisthese theitsame scientist that said masturbation would make me go blind? I think they may be but I don't see them.

The 14 yo girl  next door went blind, so It's the owner of the hand who Is at risk, not the owner of the other bit .

I was 15 at the time.

 

 

Edited by F4UCorsair

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7by7    6,296
7 hours ago, simple1 said:

And? risks with everything in life. These days I rarely drink, don't smoke and no longer use illegal drugs, but I drive a car. Statistically at greater risk driving a car than if I were still using grass, so do I stop driving as well?

 

In the style of PMQs, I refer the Honourable Gentleman to the answer I gave earlier

On ‎10‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 0:00 PM, 7by7 said:

If you want to use cannabis as a recreational drug; go ahead. But don't kid yourself there are no health risks involved.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
InMyShadow    264
Posted (edited)

Its true , one of my closest friends smoked 10 bongs a day since 15 years of age and died at 39 from a massive heart attack. I though it was from living on munchie food that goes with pot like macas and KFC but now this article has put it into perspective

Edited by InMyShadow
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guitar God    986
On 8/9/2017 at 9:50 PM, Jingthing said:

That's eye pressure. It's not the same thing as blood pressure. I have an open mind about all of this. I'm feeling that if this same study concluded pot causes strong erections, people would be saying, cool! But it's something negative so it's got to be a conspiracy theory. 

It decreases intraocular pressure but it also decreases blood pressure. 

One of the top results was webmd which says 

"It can increase bleeding, lower blood pressure, and affect your blood sugar, too."

 

I've conducted numerous experiments and I've never seen it to increase systolic or diastolic blood pressure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jingthing    33,684
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, InMyShadow said:

Its true , one of my closest friends smoked 10 bongs a day since 15 years of age and died at 39 from a massive heart attack. I though it was from living on munchie food that goes with pot like macas and KFC but now this article has put it into perspective

Interesting. 

I wouldn't jump to any conclusions based on one study, but I also have an anecdotal case like that. A pot head friend from early youth who was quite physically active that died of a heart attack shockingly young. 

In any case, anecdotal cases prove nothing. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Scott    11,404

New studies usually make the news, but it is the follow up studies and the long term studies that prove to be the most important in pointing out both the advantages and disadvantages of any drug, food supplement or life style choices.

 

I remember when it was determined, by some study, that drinking coffee was bad for you, then it wasn't bad for you, then it was good for you.   The same with alcohol.  

 

It's going to be a while before the jury is in on this issue.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gary A    2,488

I grew up with a guy who was always very low key. In 40 years, I never saw him excited or angry. His father died when he was about 12 years old. His step father owned a large farm and had a huge life insurance policy. I mention his father and the money because my friend never had to work a day in his life. I should mention that he was pretty fit and stayed trim. The hardest he ever worked was growing his own pot. He smoked his own product each and every day besides keeping his friends supplied. Due to his personality, we were all shocked when he dropped dead from a heart attack at less than 50 years old. Was it the pot smoking? Who knows?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rc2702    1,290

Best scenario here is to legalise it worldwide then they study the shift out of it in between sessions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

BANGKOK 23 August 2017 01:50
Sponsors
×