Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
pumpjack

need to fly to thai embassy in london to renew thai passport

pumpjack    306
Posted (edited)

dear god,      just received an email from thai embassy to state that my thai wife must go to london to apply in person for a new renewed thai passport.

wife is in belfast ,    i asked embassy if she can make  a postal submission application but again they reply simply stating she needs appointment at thai embassy -london

question .....

1. is there a postal application route possible ?  

2. even an agent ?   

3. could she apply to thai consulate in dublin eire ?  

4. could she send passport to bangkok for a postal application ? 

5. could i (  her husband )   make the application for her ?

thankyou in advance 

Edited by pumpjack

pumpjack    306
Posted (edited)

i did hear a few years ago that there was a sort of thai consular services in belfast NI.  anyone ever heard of this ? 

Edited by pumpjack

7by7    6,295

As ubonjoe says, Thai passport applications, new or renewals, have to be made in person as they take a digital photo and, if memory serves, fingerprint.

They used to have mobile teams travelling to various large UK cities, and to Dublin as there is no Thai embassy there, from time to time; but I can't find any current mention of this service on the RTE website.

As said by ubonjoe, Thai citizens can enter Thailand on an expired passport. So, unless she needs her passport before her next trip to Thailand, I suggest waiting until then and renewing it there. Again, she'll have to do so in person.

BTW, if she does apply in London, although the RTE in London collect the forms, fee and biometrics, applications are then sent to Bangkok for processing. So having submitted everything her new passport will be sent to her via post. When my wife renewed hers a couple of years ago she got her new passport back within two weeks; much quicker than renewing a British passport in the UK with HMPO!

• Like 2

pumpjack    306
Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

A Thai passport has to applied for in person because they do the photo for it digitally. It has been that way for many years now.

Passports can only be applied for at the embassy in London. The consulates in the UK and Ireland are honorary consulates and can only issue visas.

Occasionally they do mobile consular visits where passports can be applied for. Not sure if they do them in Belfast.

Does your wife need a valid passport to remain in the UK or to leave the country? A Thai can enter Thailand on an expired passport.

thanks joe

but my wifes passport expires  september 2017 ( next month )    

i wanted to book her to see family in december 2017.

the airline ( etihad )   will allow her to fly on an expired passport ? 

Edited by pumpjack

theoldgit    2,812
thanks joe

As Joe says your wife can enter Thailand on an expired passport, so Etihad should allow her to travel, whether they will or not is another matter, if l were in you're position I'd call them.

A passport is little more than an identity document which also proves your entitlement to enter your own country unhindered, that entitlement doesn't expire when the passport does.

Your wife might encounter questioning when checking in for her flight and maybe at the transit airport, but there again I might be doing Etihad staff an injustice.
  • Like 1

Chivas    630
1 hour ago, pumpjack said:

thanks joe

Absolutely not and rightly so. She "may" well be able to enter thailand on an expired passport but not a chance in hell will you persuade Etihad check in to fly her. Ridiculous....

ubonjoe    17,772
2 minutes ago, Chivas said:

Absolutely not and rightly so. She "may" well be able to enter thailand on an expired passport but not a chance in hell will you persuade Etihad check in to fly her. Ridiculous...

Do you have any proof to back what you wrote. Read my last post.

• Like 2

theoldgit    2,812

@pumpjack -  What is your wife's status in the UK?

Joe asked if she needed a valid passport to remain in the UK, I don't know for sure but I believe her Immigration Status might dictate the answer. 

7by7    6,295
10 hours ago, Chivas said:

Absolutely not and rightly so. She "may" well be able to enter thailand on an expired passport but not a chance in hell will you persuade Etihad check in to fly her. Ridiculous....

My daughter flew to Thailand earlier this year with BA using her expired Thai passport, no problem.