Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
webfact

Thailand's Return to Democracy May Raise Tension

sawadee1947    851

Thailand's Return to Democracy May Raise Tension

If half of the senators are appointed (by Prayut) how would it be possible to change anything in this kingdom??? As you need the majority for a change.

So Thailand's structure is cemented up to eternity?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, heybruce said:

I can no longer buy international news papers and magazines that were once available in Thailand.  The junta's morality police have come down heavily on the north (Thaksin country) but I understand the no rules approach to nightlife continues in Bangkok and southern resorts.

There are also restrictions on what I can talk and post about, but I can't talk or post about them.

I personally am mystified that these type of restrictions would have a perpetual impact and cause aeonian discomfort to ones quality of (retired) life.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, heybruce said:

TV was flooded by comments from people cheering the coup in the days, weeks, and months after it happened.  People constantly amaze me with their stupidity.

If they knew or understood Thai history not one of them would have been happy about the coup. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, heybruce said:

Really?   Since repressive military rule is acceptable to you it should be acceptable to everyone?

Were you ever young, ambitious, idealistic, aspiring for a better life?  Or were you born an apathetic old man?

"Really? Since repressive military rule is acceptable to you it should be acceptable to everyone?"

Conjecture! I obviously am more adaptable to particular situations and am not sharing your view that the Thai military government is /repressive/; On the contrary - they have never ever bothered me in any way yet give me the opportunity to live here as long as I wish which is translating into a wonderful lifestyle coupled with free movement!

"Were you ever young, ambitious, idealistic, aspiring for a better life?"
I did exceed my goals, thanks for asking. I preserve the view that idealists are dreamers and high-mindedness is unrealistic.

"Or were you born an apathetic old man?"
I don't respond to immature 'cum' self-important remarks. If you feel mouthing on activities and affairs involved in managing a country in which you are a visitor to whom hospitality is extended in a generous manner then by all means go ahead and continue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

sawadee1947    851
26 minutes ago, SouthernDelight said:

to whom hospitality is extended in a generous manner

where is it? I want to go there! Please give more details.

• Thanks 2

tomacht8    3,105
Posted (edited)

There will be 100% tensions if an independent and incorruptible

body would oversee the spendings and purchases of the state.

Edited by tomacht8

Reigntax    7,340
4 hours ago, Srikcir said:

Abhisit refutes senators can call the shots because "it's not as easy as some people think." Whether its easy or hard, the senatorial process exists that does allow the senate to control House legislation and even appoint an unelected PM.

The appointed ones will call the shots. Prayuth will make sure his "yes men" only have the guns.

Baerboxer    19,670
6 hours ago, sawadee1947 said:

that is not a democracy if senators are appointed but not elected

Then Canada, Ireland and the UK aren't democracies!

Do some research. You'd be surprised how many countries have appointed upper chambers in their parliaments, whether called senates or some other title.

• Like 1

zzaa09    331
3 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

If they knew or understood Thai history not one of them would have been happy about the coup. 

Well, one shouldn't be surprised as the large number of folks that pretend to ramble on regarding Siamese and real contemporary Thai history and yet they still haven't a clue.

zzaa09    331
40 minutes ago, Reigntax said:

The appointed ones will call the shots. Prayuth will make sure his "yes men" only have the guns.

Indeed.

Same as it ever was.

sawadee1947    851
3 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Then Canada, Ireland and the UK aren't democracies!

Do some research. You'd be surprised how many countries have appointed upper chambers in their parliaments, whether called senates or some other title.

well, well this forum is always a place to learn. Today I learned to compare Thailand with Canada, UK and even Ireland....All the same, even UK is a Kingdom. Thank you, Beerboxer for that lesson

• Like 1