Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
webfact

Trump thanks Russia's Putin for slashing U.S. diplomatic staff

IAMHERE    1,112

I suspect most of the Russian staff let go were spies anyway.

Langsuan Man    3,111
3 hours ago, IAMHERE said:

I suspect most of the Russian staff let go were spies anyway.

No, they just moved the spies over to diplomatic assignments with the United Nations in New York

And since Moscow doesn't have the UN, we can't do the same 

Trouble    1,000

Trump's off hand remarks on the matter are probably mostly true.  With relations with Russia so bad, what do you suppose 1200 staffers really do at the Moscow Embassy? It's a bloated bureaucracy that just keeps growing.  Whether they cut Russian nationals or US nationals, Putin has done us a favor.  The cost of keeping US staffers overseas is tremendous, Salaries, housing allowances, fees for international schools for the dependents, and the list goes one and on.  It is not as if the US is helping a developing country in someway and needs agricultural and technical expertise to promote a better economy and train locals.  All one has to do is look at the size of some of the embassies in their secured fortresses around the world and you know something is wrong. 

ballpoint    2,301
10 hours ago, ilostmypassword said:

Except of course, he didn't reduce the number of staff. It was Putin who did it. So I guess you're okay with Putin deciding which government workers get to lose their jobs?

Why not?  What's a few jobs when you're okay with Putin deciding who gets to be POTUS?

Scott    11,371

The bloated bureaucracy will not be reduced.   The people being expelled are not contract personnel and will remain on the payroll.  Many of the jobs vacated and people removed will have specific knowledge about Russia, so removing them is a detriment to the US (and in many cases to Russian citizens).  

Many of the people, but not all,  working in the State Department have specific talents that suit them for one country, but not another.  

ToS2014    104
On 8/11/2017 at 11:05 AM, Stargrazer9889 said:

These high paid people are now getting paid and are in the USA, Hope the embassys are just occupied by security and cleaning staff, which are a lot cheaper to pay. Good work Donald,  What country do you want the staff out of next.

Geezer

Please re-read the article, note: "Putin, reacting to new sanctions imposed by the U.S. Congress, on July 30 ordered Washington to cut 755 of its 1,200 embassy and consulate staff by September. Many of those affected are likely to be local Russian staffers."

Any chance to remove any bias BEFORE reading an article and then forming an opinion?

mtls2005    3,203

So if it's such a good idea why didn't Trump do it at the get go? Why does he have to rely on Vlad for help in managing his budget?

And we're told Trump was just joking.

We confiscated two properties, and expelled a number of Russians, for meddling. Russia has responded.

I'd be surprised if the 755 are Russian staffers, that makes no sense. Every article I've read indicates that these are Americans having to leave Russia.

Stargrazer9889    893

I guess the embassy might have some locals working there as cleaning and maintenance, but they

must be trusted people , given that the USA is a bit paranoid.  I think it is the Americans working

at the embassy that are the ones leaving.   No, there is no chance to have me get rid of my

Russian Bias.  I did enjoy talking to several  Russians who have visited both Canada and Thailand

and they were decent people, who did not have much good things to say about their politicians

and leader.  Just to let you know I am not against the Russian people per say, just Putin and his

minions

Geezer

Edited by Stargrazer9889
correction