Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
Thaivisa Web Content Team

The strange side effect of tattoos

Tattoos — especially big ones — are all the rage with celebs like David Beckham and Harry Styles covered in body art.

But before you go under the needle and ink your bod, it might be worth heeding this warning.

Getting a tattoo could come with a bizarre side effect: It can change the way you sweat, a new study suggests.

American experts found people with tattooed skin produce less sweat compared to people with non-tattooed skin.

And their sweat contained nearly twice as much sodium.

Sweating helps us control our body temperature.

So not sweating enough can lead to dangerous consequences, causing you to overheat and suffer heat stroke — which can be deadly in extreme cases.

And if you are losing more sodium than you normally would, you are likely to become dehydrated more quickly, and suffer cramps, which can hamper your best efforts in the gym.

The researchers recruited 10 healthy men with a tattoo on one side of their upper body to determine how their tattooed skin sweated differently from their non-tattooed skin.

They used chemical patches that caused them to sweat, to measure perspiration.

Full article

wombat    409
Posted (edited)

''experts found tattooed skin produce less sweat''

well bless my cotton panty

er.....i wonder if thats because the skin becomes scar tissue and blocked the production of sweat to that area

Edited by wombat
  • Haha 1

MadMuhammad    26

I've got extensive tattooing and still sweat profusely. Hearing this I think I'll get some more to combat the effects of thai heat lol

• Like 1

connda    4,313

Always a party pooper somewhere out there.  And I don't even have tats.  Really, how many tat wearers are suffering from tat-induced mineral imbalances that affect their lives.  Researchers!  I wonder who funded that.  

• Like 1

lucjoker    567

My Moroccan friend has "GROCCO" tattooed   on his dick......

means nothing ,unless he 's stiff

"Greatings from Morocco"

and yes .....he doesn't sweat anymore........

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

MadMuhammad    26
1 hour ago, csabo said:

Sorry you could do the big math.  I'll have to spell it all out for you (probably have tats). If you are a sports star or actor who has made more money then you could ever spend and you want to disfigure yourself because the likelihood of going on a job interview or your star power not overshadowing your ink then by all means do.  If you a Polynesian islander or Thai  and want traditional tribal or buddhist tattoos again, go ahead.  Even a small reminder of your military service is not so bad but if you are an average person with exposed ink, know that there are classes in the world and you fit into the bottom.  You have willingly made it clear for the upper classes to distinguish you from them.  I didn't say it was wrong or right but it is a practice of the low level members of society who do it not to be different but to follow and fit into a crowd as a follower not a leader.  This statement also does not disparage the talent of some tattoo artists which is undeniable.

Low level member of society, nice generalisation. Your low level bigotry and lack of respect is outstounding.

As I mentioned I have quite a number of tattoos. My reasons are personal and have quite a lot of meaning for me (more than your Buddhist tattoo on your average bar girl lol.)

And how do you define a 'low member of society' as you so eloquently stated? Contributions to society, respect for fellow man or net worth (something someone as shallow as you would probably rate highly.)

I can confidently state that at least 2 of those 3 I would more than have you covered.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Kadilo    319
Sorry you could do the big math.  I'll have to spell it all out for you (probably have tats). If you are a sports star or actor who has made more money then you could ever spend and you want to disfigure yourself because the likelihood of going on a job interview or your star power not overshadowing your ink then by all means do.  If you a Polynesian islander or Thai  and want traditional tribal or buddhist tattoos again, go ahead.  Even a small reminder of your military service is not so bad but if you are an average person with exposed ink, know that there are classes in the world and you fit into the bottom.  You have willingly made it clear for the upper classes to distinguish you from them.  I didn't say it was wrong or right but it is a practice of the low level members of society who do it not to be different but to follow and fit into a crowd as a follower not a leader.  This statement also does not disparage the talent of some tattoo artists which is undeniable.

Which is considerably different to saying they automatically make you a loser.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app