Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
pr9spk

Thinking of moving to Isaan

Squeegee    2,867
30 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:

Isaan dialogue is not the same and you won't understand one word of anything anyone says. Isaan women are devoted to their families and will always side with them. Many homes will Not Even have The Basics, Like Air Con, you Will Need To Survive. Isaan Is Super Boring And an Educated Person Would Go Out Of His Mind. The Best Advice In the World Is To Have An Iron Clad Backup Plan. Teachers Income Does Not Afford A Quality Life Only Survival. The fact She is Talking To You ABout Investing In Her Business is Gigantic Red Flag. 

This guy seems pretty clueless, quite frankly.

"You won't understand one word..."

Spoken like a typical foreigner who never worked hard to learn the language: if he had done so he may have had something useful and worthwhile to say rather than misinformation.

Reality is, the Isaan dialect has many similarities with central Thai, particularly the number system. If you can speak some Thaiyou will already have a start on Isaan dialect. A little of both can really open doors and result in unique and amazing experiences beyond thes cope of people like the fellow in the quote.

What that guy calls 'an educated person' is, by his own description, someone with no inner resources or interests in life to inspire himself.

If you are like him, stay in Pattaya or on Sukhumvit, but if you are interested in languages like you say you have the potential to experience some of the best things Thailand has to offer.

Don't invest what you can't afford to lose and don't burn your bridges with back home.

Pinot    4,093

The relationship with the Thai girl will probably go sour. You're a very desireable young man from Thai girl's point of view. You'll soon find an incredibly hot girl and maybe someone who actually has a great life going. You might check out Udon Thani. I think I'd live there if I didn't live in Phuket. More opportunities there and smoking hot women. 

I would go back to the UK and maximize your earnings and save save save. You're in the prime of your career. Here in Thailand you'll be lucky to find a job you can scrape by with. Then there is the issue of how do I stay in the country? It's very hard to make a living here. It can be done but not out of there. 

Acharn    573

You shouldn't have to worry about the language, if you have a fair grasp of spoken central Thai. All the people seem to speak central Thai when they need to, although when I lived in Nakhon Ratchasima I met one guy who apparently only spoke Khorat dialect. I have no idea who he talked to, since everybody I knew said they didn't speak it (I was living about 65 km. away from Khorat). A lot of Isaan dialect is comprehensible to a Thai speaker and you'll pick up more as you go.

melvinmelvin    368
5 hours ago, pr9spk said:

I'm bored in the UK, my career bores the hell out of me and most of my good friends have moved away anyway.

If I keep my house in the UK and rent it, I will not be penniless in the future.

If I just go to Isaan with liquid assets, around £30,000, would you consider that to be viable?

I would be considering marriage and a work permit.

30 000 quid should keep you going, for a while.....

would be a mistake to burn the bridges, keep a home in the UK, maybe sell what you have today and get something

cheaper in order to free up capital, but do keep an OK home in the UK

invest in someones business you know zilch about, very bad idea

one thing that doesn't sound good to me with your plane,

I would consider marriage???

sounds outright weird to me, Go to Thailand with a view to consider marriage?

use the big head, not the small one

Kong Chiam is a nice place, I enjoy that place very much. For years? Probably I could, but not sure.

Ubon is one of the few Isaan provinces I could consider staying in, that is because of my interests and hobbies,

I can satisfy them in Ubon.

But mind you, do as people say here, take a 6 month trip, try to get a feel for how it is to build a life in Isaan countryside.

Korat, KonKaen and Udon Thani is different from rural Isaan, don't forget that.

Think 10 years forward. What do you do then or want to do?

Continue teaching English to Isaan kids? Want to go back to UK and get a job.

Right, so what have you been doing while away from the UK, the interviewer asks.

Been teaching some English to Isaan minors mostly, and helping my neighbour with his fishpond.

Right, would that land you an attractive job in UK?

Dene16    65
8 minutes ago, VBF said:

Not entirely true - it depends where in UK you live.

Of course, i knew when i wrote the comment that i was leaving myself open for a comment such as yours

But the rent is lower, flats are constantly changing tenants, undesirable tenants. Its all about the tenants.

I have 2 properties still but getting rid of  my flat was the best thing i did.

I also have friends that have many properties and they say the same.

Having said that it can work but only if you manage them yourself.

He  needs something that is he can practically forget about and if he so decides can come back and move straight back into. i don,t think he will want to move back into a grubby 1 bed in Durham 

Not always true but nice house = nice tenants that will look after it

Humpy    12

You are too young........ see the World first and then decide !!

VBF    438
Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Dene16 said:

Of course, i knew when i wrote the comment that i was leaving myself open for a comment such as yours

But the rent is lower, flats are constantly changing tenants, undesirable tenants. Its all about the tenants.

I have 2 properties still but getting rid of  my flat was the best thing i did.

I also have friends that have many properties and they say the same.

Having said that it can work but only if you manage them yourself.

He  needs something that is he can practically forget about and if he so decides can come back and move straight back into. i don,t think he will want to move back into a grubby 1 bed in Durham 

Not always true but nice house = nice tenants that will look after it

@Dene16  Well i actually responded to your implication that it's impossible to get 2 properties in UK for £150K where you said "2 properties for 150K?".  That is patently not true nor do the "new rules" about ownership prevent it.

However, you are of course correct in the red comments. And being candid, it's not something i would do myself (I did it in the past) for many of the reasons you state.

But, if the OP is desperate to live in Thailand and not burn his bridges, (as I said, he's a young man) then my comments do hold - he would need a reliable agent or trustworthy friend to manage/monitor the properties and it would not be easy - see my comment about cost-effectiveness too!

In summary, it's not for me or you but it might provide a solution for the OP. Oh, and being a younger man, he has the time to return, make the properties good, were any damage to be done, and still show a profit if/when he sells - in other words, stay in the UK market which i understand to be the whole point.

Edited by VBF

pr9spk    4

Changing to an interest only mortgage is a good option I hadn't considered. And yes that would give me £800 a month of top of any Thai salary plus a house to go back to.

My friend owns a few acres of land, her own house, a brand new Toyota pick up truck and 2 motorbikes. She wants to open another shop, but I doubt I will contribute.

VBF    438
2 minutes ago, pr9spk said:

Changing to an interest only mortgage is a good option I hadn't considered. And yes that would give me £800 a month of top of any Thai salary plus a house to go back to.

My friend owns a few acres of land, her own house, a brand new Toyota pick up truck and 2 motorbikes. She wants to open another shop, but I doubt I will contribute.

None of my business, but consider whether your friend owns or has borrowed to buy the land/house/vehicles. Just saying.......:whistling:

• Like 1

pr9spk    4
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, VBF said:

None of my business, but consider whether your friend owns or has borrowed to buy the land/house/vehicles. Just saying.......:whistling:

Already have done that. A small loan on the truck but nothing else. Under £2500 I believe.

There seems to be a huge amount of negativity and people advising to stay in the UK.

I find the UK to be very miserable and depressing, which I why I am considering this. Just trying to get a gist of the financials to see if it is even a viable option at the moment. I have spent a lot of time in Thailand so have quite a good understanding of the culture etc and can understand a (very) little bit of Isaan.

Edited by pr9spk

MadMuhammad    26
Just now, pr9spk said:

Already have done that. A small loan on the truck but nothing else. Under £2500 I believe.

There seems to be a huge amount of negativity and people advising to stay in the UK.

I find the UK to be very miserable and depressing, which I why I am considering this. Just trying to get a gist of the financials to see if it is even a viable option at the moment. I have spent a lot of time in Thailand so have quite a good understanding of the culture etc and can understand a little bit of Isaan.

You'll always get a deluge of negativity on TV mate. But there are a few good nuggets among the burnt, pessimistic comments. Just take the good bits that pop up and take note of what can go wrong from the rest. Remember life is what you make it, just stay on your toes and remember only you care as much about your life as you do and there's no real safety net in Thailand for foreigners.

• Like 1

catman20    2,055
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, maxtwo said:

You can still buy terraced house for £80.000 in Sheffield I have ten.

wow another millionaire 

Edited by catman20

VBF    438
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, pr9spk said:

Well, you asked for advice / questions and people are merely giving their thoughts, some based on personal experience!

I for one would not care for it BUT we all have different views of life so if you have your heart set on it  -  GO FOR IT and honestly, I wish you the best of luck and happiness. :thumbsup:

Edited by VBF