Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
pr9spk

Thinking of moving to Isaan

To the OP. Would suggest getting a multiple entry tourtist visa will only cost you $200 US. Good for a year only need to make a quick trip to Chong Meck every 90 days. Don't do anything permanent till you have been here a year. Should have a good feel for living here after that.
People are people everywhere. There are more scammers here, be careful, but there are good people here too.
Me I have a home in Ubon and Dallas Texas and been married to a Thai since the early 70's. Spilt time between the two cities. Wife tends to prefer life in the US though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, Martyjustice said:

To the OP. Would suggest getting a multiple entry tourtist visa will only cost you $200 US. Good for a year only need to make a quick trip to Chong Meck every 90 days. Don't do anything permanent till you have been here a year. Should have a good feel for living here after that.
People are people everywhere. There are more scammers here, be careful, but there are good people here too.
Me I have a home in Ubon and Dallas Texas and been married to a Thai since the early 70's. Spilt time between the two cities. Wife tends to prefer life in the US though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm going back soon for 3-6 months.

I will report back. Hopefully I will still be enjoying it, if not I will let you know why not.

OP,

Think you have got quite some good feedback here. You have food for thought.

You said yourself that you'd really hate going back to UK (tail between legs) no money and nowhere to stay.

Good, that you acknowledge this, so presumably you will secure a place to live should you go back to blighty.

Forget investment in friends business, if its not too late to step out of it, Think of that after you have lived here a few years.

You are 36, there are not so many visa options availabe to you.

Seek out an employer that will do the visa bit for you. If teaching is good for you, find an educational instituition that will

take care of the visa bit.

From what you have said, you are not loaded. Mind you. cost of living is increasing in LoS, also in Isaan.

Don't forget that. And don't underestimate the effect of currency fluctuations. Pound sterling are not amongst

the strongest now, will brexit improve its value or the opposite? Who knows, but make room for negative effects.

'

Healthwise:

Maybe you are strong and mega healthy, or maybe not, Anyway, shit happens to 36 year olds aswell.

You need adequate insurance to cater for possible accidents/illnesses. Ain't cheap, even at 36.

And the cost will increase with your age.

Some of the negative voices here refer to you as retiring in LoS at 36. I understood you as moving to LoS with a view to

continue working. Don't retire at 36 with a small budget, if you are loaded you may - if that satisfies you.

You should think through how you would lie to spend your time.

What will you fillup your time with? Think veruy thoroughly through that.

You sleep about 8 hours. If you work, which you should, thats another 8 hours. What about the remaining 8 hours / day

and saturdays and sundays and other holidays?

What to do to keep you happy and to keep you feeling that your time is meaningful. I think this is quite important.

That last bit I spent an awfull lot of time on before I moved to live in LoS (even though I have been to Thailand more than a hundred times over 30 years on business). I sorted out what would keep me happy anf fulfilled, and after 5 years I can still say that it worked out well. I am never bored I am never spinning thumbs.

(and I do very well without any Thai wife or girlfriend)

Some people here have said. If you really want, do it! If not you will regret it later. I agree with that view. If you are keen, do it, but do think through a few things.

(I did the wild thing in my life at the age of 53, very happy I did it, had severe negative consequences on my pension, but I knew that and I dont regret it, my mistake was that I didn't do it when I was 42 rather than 53.)

Anyway.

You must think of your CV. Sounds like you are an educated man. You may go to Isaan and enjoy or not enjoy that for some years. Maybe for life. After  some years you may fancy Blighty and finding a job there. You know, at 36 things are not cast in concrete.

Assuming you have a reasonable CV, at 36 popping off to LoS/Isaan to teach English for 4-5-6 years and coming back to

blighty, that piece on your CV may be an asset.

Stay 10 years in Ubon teaching English to minors, you dont't have an asset on your CV anymore.

If teaching is your thing, fine. You said something along the lines of you were clever with languages. Fine.

Do teach the minors, make yourself an BA and MA in Thai while doing that.

Its satisfying doing degrees (to me at least, I have a bunch) and it can be put on CVs should you return to Blighty,

and it will keep you brain working.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 8/12/2017 at 5:56 PM, Dene16 said:

do this on a property of a much lesser value

Interesting, have you deducted the taxes?

Am not familiar with England but in Canada, I'd never rent out for profit, taxes would absorb any eventual profit. Railing down even the thought of it. Some do, don't know how they get an income from it. 

Edited by AGLV0121

Wether Isaan is the best place to be and if it is the right girl is all a matter of personal choice. The issues are how it will work out in the long term.

1. You are 36. You can only get a long term visa with extensions if you are married OR working. And to work you must have a valid work permit. The problem is that if you loose your job or split from your wife the clock starts ticking on how long you can stay for. After age 50 you can get retirement. BUT remember both Marriage and retirement visa extensions have a financial requirement.

2. Long term, you need a pension. Working as a teacher will not give you a good enough one. Also think about health insurance - not something you think so much about while young but do you want to end up on a peanut pension and no health insurance? Unlikely you would ever get treated for free in Thailand.

3, You cannot get a 12 month visa currently. Longest term would be a multi-entry tourist visa which lasts for 6 months. You might extend this with a few single entries and visa exemptions, but after recent crackdowns the days of the border runner and new visa are numbered.

So by all means take 6 months, even a year out, but you need a solid base to make a life in Thailand before the age of 50. I came at the age of 58, thought i would easily afford it, but 7 years later had blown most of my savings (substantial) and just made it to the state pension age which should see me through now to the end (health costs permitting). I have a wife and daughter here.

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, AGLV0121 said:

Interesting, have you deducted the taxes?

You do pay taxes but as the op would not be working here he could make up to £11,200 per year before he paid any.

Everyone is entitled to earn this  before tax is paid plus he could claim management fees back and lots of other things that he would not really use so in effect tax free. 

Edited by Dene16
add text

As many other say, don't burn any ships, come and stay for 6 months to a year and check it out. 

Don't invest more than  you can leave with a smile! 

But why are you choosing Ubon?  I don't know anything about Ubon, I live in the north of Thailand. 

But if it is because your (girl)friend lives there then you might think about it more than once. 

I have lived here for more than 15 years and I met my wife 12 years ago.  I lived already up in the north and she came from Isaan but there were no discussion about where we should live. 

My wife's parents are wonderful and I love them very much and her two brothers are great. But I would never move close to her village because of rest of the family. There are a number of uncles and aunties, many, many cousins.  And some of them want to have things from the farang and they want more and more. 

We send money to wife's parents every month but noone else got anything.

We are around 700 km from wife's village and that is OK.

I wish you Best Luck!  

• Like 2

On 8/13/2017 at 10:15 PM, Dene16 said:

as the op would not be working here

No, I meant in the UK. Probably yes, as there is little you can do to "escape" them. But for me, altogether rails down the idea of making a profit out of renting out. Have not tried AirBnB though.

That you have to pay taxes on income is not a good reason to avoid income.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 1

Just now, mogandave said:

That you have to pay taxes on income is not a good reason to avoid income.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Wrong inference! Tsss!

Only just saw this post - lots of good advice given mate. Take your time and think slowly. Many sad stories of blokes your age doing what you first said, and then things going bad and end up with stuffed life at 50+ and cant go back home.

What I would do is stay in UK and visit Thailand every year, while working on my finances to 'pull the pin' at say 40. Take a long term view - trust me those 4 years will go by fast - but they can make a hell of a difference in your quality of life here in LOS.  If after your first trip here you think it is where you want to live, then start building up your finances and get down your mortgage as much as possible. Plan plan plan. Take your time. Learnb all about Thailand first. And have a 'get out' plan. You may think you dont need one - but trust me you could be unlucky (marriage disaster, medical issue, legal issue, family/village problem, etc etc) and you need to walk away quickly.

You are far too young to burn bridges. If you do well getting down the mortgage, maybe downsize UK home and have no mortgage, and some left over for setting up in Thailand. Maybe you could split the home and rent part and keep a room/area for yourself and your gear. And never bring all/most of your money hear - keep it invested in UK and bring over small chunks at a time. And plan plan plan. A few years spending some time here each year while preparing things back home (having a purpose for working), will make a huge difference in your life at 50+ whichever way your life goes. 

I wish I had decided in my mid-40s to prepare for moving to Thailand when in my mid-50s, instead of waiting til I had already turned 55.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, ELVIS123456 said:

Only just saw this post - lots of good advice given mate. Take your time and think slowly. Many sad stories of blokes your age doing what you first said, and then things going bad and end up with stuffed life at 50+ and cant go back home.

What I would do is stay in UK and visit Thailand every year, while working on my finances to 'pull the pin' at say 40. Take a long term view - trust me those 4 years will go by fast - but they can make a hell of a difference in your quality of life here in LOS.  If after your first trip here you think it is where you want to live, then start building up your finances and get down your mortgage as much as possible. Plan plan plan. Take your time. Learnb all about Thailand first. And have a 'get out' plan. You may think you dont need one - but trust me you could be unlucky (marriage disaster, medical issue, legal issue, family/village problem, etc etc) and you need to walk away quickly.

You are far too young to burn bridges. If you do well getting down the mortgage, maybe downsize UK home and have no mortgage, and some left over for setting up in Thailand. Maybe you could split the home and rent part and keep a room/area for yourself and your gear. And never bring all/most of your money hear - keep it invested in UK and bring over small chunks at a time. And plan plan plan. A few years spending some time here each year while preparing things back home (having a purpose for working), will make a huge difference in your life at 50+ whichever way your life goes. 

I wish I had decided in my mid-40s to prepare for moving to Thailand when in my mid-50s, instead of waiting til I had already turned 55.  

Apologies for using your quote Elvis, I agree with what you've said, but just wanted to highlight 1 point to the OP...

OP... Again, I'd say there's a much bigger world out there than just the UK or Thailand & there are many places (e.g. Singapore , Hong Kong, Tokyo etc... in SEA + many other places outside of Asia)where you can have a much more successful career AND have the higher quality of life that you seem to be looking for (though QoL is different for all of us & there are lots of things I miss about my life in the UK).

So please don't think you have to make a binary choice between being unhappy in the UK (counting the days down until some retirement date in the future) OR Packing it all in & moving to Nakhon Nowhere (Possibly counting down to a future of struggling, maybe even desperation/destitution as you get older & eventually hit the point where the "options" aren't there anymore).

Sorry to be Frank/Harsh, and I'm sure there will be more than enough responses from people who have (or know or somebody who has) done it and it's all worked out, but at your age, with your education I would be looking at getting a well paid job in Tokyo, Singapore, Hong Kong or somewhere outside of SEA & enjoying the best of both worlds.

Up to You... 

Edited by LostinSEA
spelling
  • Like 1

of all the places I have been  to in Issan Ubon was the worst. its neither pretty nor cosmopolitan.

On 17/08/2017 at 7:16 AM, AGLV0121 said:

No, I meant in the UK. Probably yes, as there is little you can do to "escape" them.

Sorry missed the 't' in front of here. He would pay no tax in the UK.

He would have no additional income from working in the UK as he will be in Thailand so he can make up to £11,200 before he pays tax