Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation

Hi to all

I wish to apply for a METV since I'm planning to spend 6 months in LOS and then travel in Europe with my thai girl friend. A METV would be a best solution to me, since the double entry is no longer available I can meet all the requirements except one: proof of employment. I don't have a job but I'm hold sufficient funds to spend years in LOS. I've saw in few embassies  web sites in their requirements list says 5000 English pound, 6000 Euro and so on, or letter from your employer. But the majority of them doesn't show this distinction.  No job no visa? I don't think that many employees can spend 6 months a year in holiday. Probably none. Could anyone  give me any clarifications about that ? Thanks

Are you retired? While this could vary from embassy to embassy, I think in most cases showing proof you are retired is sufficient for them to waive the employer letter requirement. The objective is to exclude those intending to work illegally in Thailand. I suggest you talk with your home country embassy to see what they require from someone who is retired.

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, BritTim said:

Are you retired? While this could vary from embassy to embassy, I think in most cases showing proof you are retired is sufficient for them to waive the employer letter requirement. The objective is to exclude those intending to work illegally in Thailand. I suggest you talk with your home country embassy to see what they require from someone who is retired.

I'm not retired yet, I'm 60 years old but I need to wait 65 for that. Then according my age I wouldn't be a proper candidate for work in LOS   As I said  the funds are the sole thing that I can provide. Thank you anyway

Edited by roadrunner32

14 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

If you were to apply at the embassy in London you could submit a self-assessment tax form instead of the employment letter. The website states a company registration but people have gotten a METV with only the self-assessment.

See: http://thaiembassyuk.org.uk/en/types-of-visa#section2

It would be interesting that someone post his experience about that. Thanks anyway

I guy I know who is 68 got one at the London Embassy, they didn't ask him for a employers  letter

11 hours ago, roadrunner32 said:

I'm not retired yet, I'm 60 years old but I need to wait 65 for that. Then according my age I wouldn't be a proper candidate for work in LOS   As I said  the funds are the sole thing that I can provide. Thank you anyway

I understand that most employers wouldn't want to hire someone who is 60. But there are numerous jobs, not to mention businesses you could run illegally in Thailand. I really don't think your age will help. 

Seems like a case of the Embassy doing what it wants to do. That is a problem with the embassies, they can not seem to stick to the rules that are in force. More a case of "we dont like that rule so we will impose our own set of rules"

Hi OP, although I'm a UK citizen and only have a UK passport, I've had 2 METVs fro the consulate in Toronto and they never asked me to prove I had a job. They didn't even ask anything about that.  Maybe they're very relaxed there though cuz technically I understood that you can only get an METV in your own country but the person I dealt with at the Toronto consulate told me that certain countries (obviously UK included) were welcome to apply for an METV in Toronto.  I didn't ask what other nationalities qualified at the time.

• Like 2

I plan to go for a METV in NY in March and I have been retired on a state pension since I was 45.  I will give them documentation confirming that.  Hoping reason and logic are the theme for the day.  I guess a SETV would be the backup plan but my primary reason for taking the long trip is the METV will get me to Thai retirement age the following January (within a month or so).  When in NY I usually hand deliver my application and documents with a return addressed envelope to iron out any questions they have face to face.  

It is not OR but AND. 
Money
Return Ticket 

AND

Either proof of Retirement

or
Proof of self employment with Self Assessment certification 
or
Proof of Employment.
or
Proof of Marriage to Thai Lady.
They don't want unemployed in Thailand.

1 hour ago, Alidiver said:

...They don't want unemployed in Thailand.

Actually, those on "welfare benefits" are ok, if coming from Ireland:

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/870548-the-multiple-entry-tourist-visa-topic-metv/?do=findComment&comment=10122457

I think "destitute" is the proper word in this context - hence the "money in the bank for 6 months" part of the qualifications.

I'm currently on my third METV visa issued from Melbourne, Australia, now at 59. Besides showing minimum funds of AU$8000, I've listed my employment as Retired. I have been retired since 55, no pension, self funded, and not quite ready for commitment for OA retirement extension, and the METV has suited my circumstances. There has never been a query with me having to prove I'm retired for the METV requirements. 

• Like 1

Now I'm aware of this I think I have reason for concern. I'm 39 and retired from the workforce. I visit for a month or so at a time many times a year. 

I'm waiting for my girlfriend to finish her masters here before making a permanent move in the near future. I want to initially enter on a METV then once settled and I've travelled a little with her, Vietnam/Cambodia/Laos/Myanmar, I want to apply for an ED visa and study thai for a year or 2 before switching to the Thai Elite Visa.

As I'm unemployed and because of my young age will they accept that I'm a self funded retiree? Has anyone had any experience regarding this situation?