Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
rooster59

Acquittal likely, says ex-judge

Yinglove    43

Prem calls the shots when it comes to the judges - perhaps there's a bit of unrest amongst the coup coalition partners?

robblok    19,527
13 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

The Yellows' heads will literally explode. They'll be breaking out the hand-clappers and whistles from storage.

I assume there is still a way, another set of charges to be ginned up, to convict her of a minor crime (with no jail time) which would prevent her from running for political office for the next 100 years. (Or, that may well have already been done?)

The precedent of imprisoning a PM for faulty government program might be too much, save for a banana republic?

Good thing the junta gave themselves a blanket amnesty.

I prefer that over bombing people.. killing kids, and setting fire to BKK. But its good to see that the reds do admit that most yellow protests are not as violent as the reds.

I will accept whatever verdict is given, I doubt she will do any jail-time. 

Even in a banarepublic the person in charge of a program would manage that program and turn up at meetings, listen at things the world bank has to say and would not keep things out of the central budget even when things were costing billions, plus the her own ministers were busy with fake G2G deals defrauding the state of billions. If that is what you call a faulty goverment program then you are a bit kind with your words. Criminal negligence is a closer thing. I wonder what would happen if the PM in your birth country kept an amount equal to the annual health budget off budget with huge corruption in it by its own ministers even being warned by everyone that it was going wrong and ignoring it all..

Guess we will never know what our home countries would do as something that outrageous would never happen there. 

mfd101    365
19 minutes ago, robblok said:

Even in a banarepublic the person in charge of a program would manage that program and turn up at meetings, listen at things the world bank has to say and would not keep things out of the central budget even when things were costing billions, plus the her own ministers were busy with fake G2G deals defrauding the state of billions. If that is what you call a faulty goverment program then you are a bit kind with your words. Criminal negligence is a closer thing. I wonder what would happen if the PM in your birth country kept an amount equal to the annual health budget off budget with huge corruption in it by its own ministers even being warned by everyone that it was going wrong and ignoring it all..

All of which sounds like a Ministerial not a Prime Ministerial responsibility. As in all well-run organisations, the boss delegates functions & the jobs that go with them and then lets the subordinates get on with it.

The key is to choose your subordinates wisely, but in politics you may have little choice ...

robblok    19,527
9 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

All of which sounds like a Ministerial not a Prime Ministerial responsibility. As in all well-run organisations, the boss delegates functions & the jobs that go with them and then lets the subordinates get on with it.

The key is to choose your subordinates wisely, but in politics you may have little choice ...

Not if you make yourself chair of a project and not attend ONE meeting. 

Also keeping costs out of the central budget is a big no no ... and cost as high as the annual health budget..... wow in a first world country something that outrageous has never happened. Saying there is no corruption.. while your own ministers are involved in it.. if that is not negligence.. 

halloween    9,658

No “special intention” to commit negligence, it 'just happened'. Does that sound like a defence?

Yinglove    43
4 minutes ago, robblok said:

Not if you make yourself chair of a project and not attend ONE meeting. 

Former commerce minister Niwatthamrong Boonsongpaisarn told the Supreme Court’s Criminal Division for Holders of Political Positions that there was no need for then prime minister Yingluck to supervise every matter by herself after she had delegated one of the deputy prime ministers or a government agency to take responsibility over the matter.

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/witnesses-testify-defence-ex-pm-yingluck-rice-pledging-scheme/

4 minutes ago, robblok said:

Also keeping costs out of the central budget is a big no no ... and cost as high as the annual health budget..... wow in a first world country something that outrageous has never happened. Saying there is no corruption.. while your own ministers are involved in it.. if that is not negligence.. 

No one has ever complained about the rice scheme being out of the budget.

Not the Junta, not Suthep, not Abhisit, not Korn, not the NACC - no one, so where's the crime??

robblok    19,527
Just now, Yinglove said:

Former commerce minister Niwatthamrong Boonsongpaisarn told the Supreme Court’s Criminal Division for Holders of Political Positions that there was no need for then prime minister Yingluck to supervise every matter by herself after she had delegated one of the deputy prime ministers or a government agency to take responsibility over the matter.

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/witnesses-testify-defence-ex-pm-yingluck-rice-pledging-scheme/

No one has ever complained about the rice scheme being out of the budget.

Not the Junta, not Suthep, not Abhisit, not Korn, not the NACC - no one, so where's the crime??

They call it causing damages.. because it was not in the central budget. I am sorry that you don't understand accountant speak.If in budget its not causing damages.. because its in the budget. 

Yinglove    43
Just now, robblok said:

They call it causing damages.. because it was not in the central budget. I am sorry that you don't understand accountant speak.If in budget its not causing damages.. because its in the budget. 

And yet the NCPO, Abhisit, Korn, the NACC and Suthep have never once mentioned anything about having a problem with how the rice pledging scheme was funded.

Why do you think that is?

• Like 1

robblok    19,527
1 minute ago, Yinglove said:

And yet the NCPO, Abhisit, Korn, the NACC and Suthep have never once mentioned anything about having a problem with how the rice pledging scheme was funded.

Why do you think that is?

I answered your question.. they called it causing damages... When something is not put in a central budget its causing damages because the costs were not there. Just look at what she is charged with. Now go and learn something about accounting.

Yinglove    43
Just now, robblok said:

I answered your question.. they called it causing damages... When something is not put in a central budget its causing damages because the costs were not there. Just look at what she is charged with. Now go and learn something about accounting.

I'm not going to go and learn anything about accounting. Accounting is boring.

I understand you are saying the technical term for the losses in this circumstance is "damages".

So people may be upset that there is "damages" that is an entirely different thing than having a problem with how the rice pledging scheme was funded.

If the rice pledging scheme was funded in the central budget and lost the same amount the people would be upset for the same reason - the loss, not the method of funding.

No one is concerned with how the scheme was kept out of the central budget - no one.

wakeupplease    1,643

I'm not going to go and learn anything about accounting. Accounting is boring.

Yinglove you are so spot on some on here who are accounts so they claim but in reality are the ones who find the loop holes so businesses pay less TAX so rip off everyone else, its what they do all day every day if they have any work, if they do not then TV is the answer.

Going on what My account does and says at times I think he is nothing but a conman, but that is only my experience of my accountant.

Yinglove    43

If Prayuth's Chinese railways run at a loss will he be held personally accountable for the losses.

If he's got any brains, he'd be praying for an acquittal so no precedent is set that may end up costing him his 600 million.

Ricardo    6,778
36 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

If former-PM Yingluck had actually delegated the task of chairing the committee, and that person had actually turned up at meetings, then she would probably not be in the awkward situation she's now in.

But she didn't, she insisted she was in-charge, nobody else and she ignored all of the warnings.  That's now come back to bite her.

As you say  " As in all well-run organisations, the boss delegates functions & the jobs that go with them and then lets the subordinates get on with it.",  but she chose not to do so, possibly under-orders from afar, we'll never know. 

And at some point the failure to run an organisation well becomes negligence.

Yinglove    43
1 minute ago, Ricardo said:

If former-PM Yingluck had actually delegated the task of chairing the committee, and that person had actually turned up at meetings, then she would probably not be in the awkward situation she's now in.

Um, she did delegate and they did show up.

• On my capacity as Chairman of the National Rice Committee, I have never neglected my duties nor omitted to perform my duties because I have delegated my responsibility to the Deputy Prime Minister and the Commerce Minister to act as Chairman of the National Rice Committee and if any matter came up, it was the duty of those persons to report to the Cabinet and the Prime Minister for consideration.
  • The Constitution requires the Cabinet to have collective responsibilities but the plaintiff misunderstood that the Prime Minister has sole power and may exercise the power as he/she deems fit. When I was the Prime Minister, ministries working with the National Rice Committee and sub- committee have their own responsibilities required by laws. I could not exercise my power arbitrarily to interfere, make order, or influence the operating level for anyone’s interest. The current Prime Minister should well understand the limitation and that is why special power under section 44 is needed to conduct state administration which elected government like mine never had.

http://www.prachatai.org/english/node/7301

But she didn't, she insisted she was in-charge, nobody else and she ignored all of the warnings.  That's now come back to bite her.

Wrong

As you say  " As in all well-run organisations, the boss delegates functions & the jobs that go with them and then lets the subordinates get on with it.",  but she chose not to do so, possibly under-orders from afar, we'll never know. 

Wrong

And at some point the failure to run an organisation well becomes negligence.

and Wrong.

elektrified    2,598
16 hours ago, Thechook said:

Might have to sell those subs and give her money back

Even if she is acquitted, I doubt she will ever see the money again. Whatever she has left most likely will go to her lawyers.