Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
rooster59

Capital punishment not an effective deterrent, say experts

Just now, rijb said:

You used disassociated facts to make a debatable conclusion.  I'm surprised you haven't also concluded that capital punishment is responsible for global warming, as well as a higher murder rate.

Disassociated facts....what's that, another name the Trumps "alternate facts".

What facts were "disassociated"?

Just now, rijb said:

You used disassociated facts to make a debatable conclusion.  I'm surprised you haven't also concluded that capital punishment is responsible for global warming, as well as a higher murder rate.

I believe the correlation of global warming and capital punishment is inversely proportional?

• Like 1

Just now, Yinglove said:

So what is your position?

I believe the death penalty should be given for certain crimes only where the guilt of the accused can be shown to be 100% without doubt (e.g. caught in the act, caught on CCTV, irrefutable DNA evidence). That obviously would mean the death penalty would still be quite rare.

In those cases I still believe there should be an appeal system but not as drawn out as currently in the US (which is where the stats on it costing more to execute someone than keep them in jail tends to come from in these debates).

As mentioned, I don't see it as a deterrent; but I do believe there are some people that commit such heinous crimes that they should not be free to mix with the general public and put others at risk. On that point some in these types of debates agree but say they should get a life sentence. I personally believe caging someone for life is inhumane (yep, I get flamed for that), costly and in reality very few actually serve "life".  For those left behind from those crimes, they end up having to relive it every time the perp is up for parole.

That then leads to, what types of crimes ...

• Like 1

He said the study found that the certainty of getting arrested was “very effective” in deterring people from committing crimes.

Like Red Bull "Boss" cop killer?  Certainty of getting arrested like that?  :clap2:

3 minutes ago, connda said:

He said the study found that the certainty of getting arrested was “very effective” in deterring people from committing crimes.

Like Red Bull "Boss" cop killer?  Certainty of getting arrested like that?  :clap2:

Maybe they forgot the finger pointing.

6 minutes ago, Salerno said:

I believe the death penalty should be given for certain crimes only where the guilt of the accused can be shown to be 100% without doubt (e.g. caught in the act, caught on CCTV, irrefutable DNA evidence). That obviously would mean the death penalty would still be quite rare.

In those cases I still believe there should be an appeal system but not as drawn out as currently in the US (which is where the stats on it costing more to execute someone than keep them in jail tends to come from in these debates).

As mentioned, I don't see it as a deterrent; but I do believe there are some people that commit such heinous crimes that they should not be free to mix with the general public and put others at risk. On that point some in these types of debates agree but say they should get a life sentence. I personally believe caging someone for life is inhumane (yep, I get flamed for that), costly and in reality very few actually serve "life".  For those left behind from those crimes, they end up having to relive it every time the perp is up for parole.

That then leads to, what types of crimes ...

The types of perp you mention gets life without parole - so that ends that argument about relatives re-living anything or the criminals being released into society.

The death penalty achieves nothing that can't be achieved with life in prison without parole.

Be nice to put the Lovie Dovie Drips on Guard Duty on Atica Death Row. Soon change their wimpy values.The Victims Family should have the right to say yes once the Human Scums been convicted , not a bunch of Lefty Apologists.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 1

Did anyone mention religion in this thread, oh, oh, sorry to bring up such a tacky subject. I'm not religious but I do know the first Commandment in Christianity is "Do not Kill." In Buddhism it's basically the same, "Do no harm,"  and sometimes being taken to the extreme. Nowhere to my understanding is there an exception.

Please remember, this topic Capital punishment not an effective deterrent, say experts is about capital punishment not being an effective deterrent in Thailand.  Please stay on topic and stop with the comparisons with other countries. 

Just now, Yinglove said:

The types of perp you mention gets life without parole - so that ends that argument about relatives re-living anything or the criminals being released into society.

The death penalty achieves nothing that can't be achieved with life in prison without parole.

That's a bit of a blanket statement, and somewhat flawed, what country/s are we talking about? Very few people get life without parole in the west.

Obviously I disagree with your last sentence, it achieves a cost reduction for a start and other than protecting society, (which the death penalty also does) what exactly does locking someone in a cage for what could be 50, 60, 70 years + do? As I said, I believe that to be inhumane.

1 minute ago, metisdead said:

Please remember, this topic Capital punishment not an effective deterrent, say experts is about capital punishment not being an effective deterrent in Thailand.  Please stay on topic and stop with the comparisons with other countries. 

My apologies, was replying as you where posting. I hereby withdraw from participating in an interesting debate.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

The problem with capital punishment, and the reason that the UK and many other civilised nations abolished it, is its finality and inability to be overturned by new evidence to prevent miscarriages of justice.

It is also an ineffective preventive measure, as many previously capital crimes like murder are carried out in the heat of the moment or under high pressure circumstances where reason is not employed by the offender.

As has been stated already, diversionary measures both before and after offending and effective enforcement and sentencing with the availability of aftercare are the most effective measures.

56 minutes ago, PeCeDe said:

Did anyone mention religion in this thread, oh, oh, sorry to bring up such a tacky subject. I'm not religious but I do know the first Commandment in Christianity is "Do not Kill." In Buddhism it's basically the same, "Do no harm,"  and sometimes being taken to the extreme. Nowhere to my understanding is there an exception.

Eye For an Eye, rather wiped that out.:stoner:

"Capital punishment not an effective deterrent", well that might be true but capital punishment guarantees only one crime per culprit. No repeats on rapes, children molesting etc. anymore - guaranteed. And that is a step in the right direction and as far as one can go!