Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
Gonzo the Face

New To Chiang Mai

If you have a chance to go to Mai Sai, you will see hundreds of these,and I saw none in Chiang Mai.   Now I see there is at least one or two.

DSCF0132.JPG

• Haha 1

Apparently one of the shops outside the moat in the North East area sells them now.

It's one of those shops that also sell rain coats.

Probably ok if you're stuck in first gear but I don't think it would last long on a GSX 1000.  But no doubt some idiot will try and then ask for a refund!

Might be ok in the rain as long as you treat the clear plastic part with something like Rainex 

Will try and stop by this week Gonzo.  I feel a McBarf calling....

Posted (edited)

DSCF0132.JPG.996e01a3d7747ee7a40f9f028eb

These have been about Chiang Mai and Thailand for about 8 years now. A hard top version was going around 4 years ago.

Edited by khwaibah

The problem is Strong Winds, which if blowing in Gusts, can and will effect the direction of the bike.

A sudden movement of the bike in traffic is dangerous.

john

Biker for over 50 years.

• Like 2

I think they are great , a Honda Wave convertible .  Saying that a brilliant idea for taking the kids to school . A couple of weeks ago in Maesai I saw the Patrol Plod taking pics. of them , maybe illegal not too sure .

They were originally made for bicycle not for bike.

I see one in a shop in France the picture on the packaging show a bicycle not a bike.

2 hours ago, khwaibah said:

DSCF0132.JPG.996e01a3d7747ee7a40f9f028eb

These have been about Chiang Mai and Thailand for about 8 years now. A hard top version was going around 4 years ago.

You are correct, but as OP said, and i noticed, moreso in Mae Sai, but also CM, there has been a resurgence of them..a new , must have model, if you like..

See more of them in Chiang Rai than Chiang Mai. I understand they are illegal. I would think one couldn't do more than about 30 km/hr with them, probably collapse on the rider at higher speeds.

Looks exactly like the sort of thing I'd buy before realising I'd wasted my money.

• Haha 1

They are everywhere in Mae Sai area, I started seeing them maybe 6 weeks-2 months ago, and they spread like wildfire. Great during rainy season if your puttsing around town. So many Thai Yai here that can't leave the Ampour, so it's not used at high speeds. And yes there has been a couple articles about their legality.

Sent from my SM-A910F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, bazza73 said:

See more of them in Chiang Rai than Chiang Mai. I understand they are illegal. I would think one couldn't do more than about 30 km/hr with them, probably collapse on the rider at higher speeds.

" I would think one couldn't do more than about 30 km/hr with them, probably collapse on the rider at higher speeds."

Not at all.

My g/f's one has a sign that suggested it was successfully wind tunnel tested to130kph.

I'll see if i still have the sign to show you.

Edited by happyas
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1