Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
tomster

Android box recommendations

tomster    224

I'm thinking it's about time I bought an Android TV box and have been looking at the various options.

I'd like to buy one here in CM if possible so that if it goes wrong I have some backup - can anybody recommend a shop with decent customer service?

Thanks in advance.

CMKiwi    1,158

Computer Plaza upstairs is ok.  Be aware that to be 'within' the law that no 'programmes' should be preloaded on the box.  In reality that may prove hard to find.

Do a search/look under the audio/viusual forum. There are a few pointers in what to look for.  DO NOT buy one that is running Androiod 4.4.4 as the operating system. It is TOO old and will not run the more modern/upto date builds.

Try and get at least Android 6 or higher.  At least 2gb or RAM.  The boxes all look pretty much the same from the outside so be careful.  My old box was a 4.4.4 and it really struggles to even open the first screen.  The newer one running Android 6 is very quick by comparison.

Apps (Applicatons) are very easy to find on google play. One of the more common apps is Kodi but the internet is your friend.... enjoy!

• Thanks 1

CMKiwi    1,158

I've seen a bit of a following with this brand. Appear to be a good bit of kit.

I haven't seen them in my travels but then I'm not in town that often. Id still try Computer Plaza and possibly have a look in Icon and Pantip plazas.

Beware that there is a lot of 'old' stock lying around and they may try and push this onto you.

But armed with the specs you should be ok.

• Like 1

prism    35
17 hours ago, tomster said:

Thanks for the replies.

Has anybody seen these for sale here in CM:

https://www.lazada.co.th/minix-u9-h-android-tv-box-new-2017-hdmi-20-peakhd-13380645.html

They look like they'll do the job...

Went shopping for one around CM a couple of weeks ago and all I could find were lower end ones. Didn't see that one because I would've bought it and the selections was quite limited.  They're not that hard to program with the help of google.  

• Thanks 1

Greenside    784

Here's a good place to bookmark for Android Box information and reviews.

I bought a Minix X8-H Plus from Lazada a couple of years ago and it's been very good but the one the OP mentions is a step up and worth the extra for the higher HDMI spec and more recent version of Android.  The air mouse is good too - we never use the regular one.

• Like 1