Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
MeMock

Spago is on the move

Spago has always been one of my favourite restaurants in Ubon and has some of the best pizza anywhere. My only gripe was the location and parking etc.

Well that is all about to change as they are on the move and opening in what I consider a much better location into the most amazing premises. The fit out must be costing a fortune and I can't wait to try it.

They are even putting a wine cellar in! New location is the down stairs area of the You Hotel, formally the Montana.

I understand that they hope to open Mid September. 

• Like 2

Forgot to mention that John, the former owner of Peppers who did some great things with that business is also joining in with Franco with the new venture. With Franco in the kitchen and John running the floor I think this new restaurant is going to really raise the bar in Ubon.

• Like 1

Good luck to both Franco and John. Looking forward to bringing guests to the new location. Downtown Ubon needs sprucing up. For far too long this area as become a little run down and in some parts a bit seedy. In the old days all the good restaurants were located in and around the central park. Hopefully the opening of Spago in the Yuu Hotel is the start of a rejuvenation of the area. My only concern is can Ubonites afford to eat there?

This is a little off the subject, but many of these new small hotels that have opened in Ubon in recent years have very short names. Perhaps they are easy to pronounce or maybe the owners ask their children to think of a name quickly. Some examples- B2 hotel, V hotel, T3 House, A+ hotel, 168 Studio hotel, De Proud hotel, Better Place hotel, The Rich hotel, Eco Inn and now Yuu hotel. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Michael Hare said:

Good luck to both Franco and John. Looking forward to bringing guests to the new location. Downtown Ubon needs sprucing up. For far too long this area as become a little run down and in some parts a bit seedy. In the old days all the good restaurants were located in and around the central park. Hopefully the opening of Spago in the Yuu Hotel is the start of a rejuvenation of the area. My only concern is can Ubonites afford to eat there?

This is a little off the subject, but many of these new small hotels that have opened in Ubon in recent years have very short names. Perhaps they are easy to pronounce or maybe the owners ask their children to think of a name quickly. Some examples- B2 hotel, V hotel, T3 House, A+ hotel, 168 Studio hotel, De Proud hotel, Better Place hotel, The Rich hotel, Eco Inn and now Yuu hotel. 

Thank you Michael. We look forward to seeing you and your colleagues in Spago in the near future.

The new Spago as you mentioned is located at the front of the Yuu Hotel with ample parking and a new look for the area. Spago will have its regular pizza and pasta  dishes that it is very well known for  plus a new menu that will feature many new dishes and a new fresh look for lunch and dinner at very affordable prices.

As Memock mentioned we are having a modern temperature controlled wine cellar that will stock a wide variety of wine from around the world plus a few more surprises.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'd certainly be surprised to find out that one can stock wine from some place other than around the world.

3 hours ago, AliasJohn said:

Thank you Michael. We look forward to seeing you and your colleagues in Spago in the near future.

The new Spago as you mentioned is located at the front of the Yuu Hotel with ample parking and a new look for the area. Spago will have its regular pizza and pasta  dishes that it is very well known for  plus a new menu that will feature many new dishes and a new fresh look for lunch and dinner at very affordable prices.

As Memock mentioned we are having a modern temperature controlled wine cellar that will stock a wide variety of wine from around the world plus a few more surprises.

Good luck with the project John.

6 hours ago, elwood said:

Good luck with the project John.

Thank you Chris. On behalf of Franco and myself, we hope you will pay us a visit when we open next month.

This new venture for Franco and John speaks volumes about how one can contribute to Ubon society. In a recent thread about a young guy from the UK wanting to come and start life in Ubon there were many knockers. I could not believe the negative posts, most from people who have never lived permanently in Ubon.

Here we have Franco and John starting up a new top-notch restaurant in Ubon, which Ubon badly needs. All credit to them. They are not young, but willingly to take a little risk, work hard and give back to the city they love. For sure there would have been obstacles in getting work permits, company set-up or partnership, etc, but these guys know that if one does things properly, without any fuss, everything falls into place.

Great site, good parking. For sure, will be there next month when you open

• Like 2

17 hours ago, AliasJohn said:

Thank you Chris. On behalf of Franco and myself, we hope you will pay us a visit when we open next month.

Good on ya John.

Have you heard anything about a new Italian restaurant being prepared in Ban Nakhum, Kamyai?

The new building, believed to belong to the owner of Home Restaurant, Home Leisure Centre and God knows what else in my area, has two company signs up and one is for Venezia Italian restaurant - "Wine, dine and unwind". 

Early doors yet, workmen are still doing odds and sods outside, and where the restaurant would be has people working inside.

Perhaps with your contacts Andrew you can get Dai Oratai to perform at the opening?? :thumbsup:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Patriot said:

Perhaps with your contacts Andrew you can get Dai Oratai to perform at the opening?? :thumbsup:

Good thinking!

• Like 1

Good idea mate. She is currently in Begen, Norway though. I will see if she can cut her tour short to make it back in time.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
On 8/14/2017 at 7:38 AM, Michael Hare said:

By the way Michael, as i know you keep an eye on the hotels for visiting guests/colleagues and I know you know that I use a lot of different hotels in Ubon. ..... One of my current favourites in the budget plus boutique category is Come Pang (in the same street as Zara Doubletree and the same area as the likes of V-Hotel/The Rich/Bliss/Rapeepan Ville/Penta-Hug). Opened 6 months ago - the touches suggest a German or Austrian ownership involvement. Big rooms; decent enough furnishings fittings in muted boutique style; particularly comfortable European-style beds - you can get king size 6 footers although Agoda/Booking.com only seem to offer twins; genuine balconies you could sit out on and enjoy an evening beer. Best bit at the moment is the price - ThB 650 a night including breakfast (limited choice of Thai mains - the pan-fried egg is fine - together with help yourself fruit, juices,coffee, toast &jam). I reckon that's a bargain and puts it in my top 5 Ubon hotels class when considering a blended quality/value coefficient. For me it's also good value as they allow an under-11 to stay for only +50 baht for the breakfast if using existing/your own bedding - a feature which a lot of Ubon hotels seem to be abandoning and which loses them my business when travelling en famille (no way am I buying 2 rooms and sleeping on my own when our 7 year old is with us - btw, Ubon is notably badly equipped for family room bookings - aspiring trophy builders take note; swimming pool and family rooms are in short supply in this town).

You only get that price by phone-in/walk-in (the bookers quote 200 baht more!) and a downside for some would be their negligible English.

Natsiri Residence has also whacked down its price to around 700 baht for what are comfortable (if somewhat dark US boardroom style) rooms/corridors and including a buffet breakfast with reportedly more choice than Come Pang. Again phone or walk in rather than use the booking web-sites (in this case because they have usually sold out the rooms allocated to them well in advance of the hotel actually being booked out).

As always the round of trophy-buliding that has gone on in Ubon hotels is keeping prices down to superb value for visitors, even by already good Thai standards. Dunno how they make any money!

Edited by SantiSuk