Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
Phatbeets

Frustrated About Traffic In Bangkok

Phatbeets    62

----- First I got to say sorry for this longwinded post, ha! -----

I've been coming yearly to Bangkok since 2005 where I met my wife in 2006.

We have a lot of Thai friends all around the city and I would say I kind of "understand" this city means I'm pretty familiar with its areas,  assets and drawbacks.

It was always clear for me that If I'd relocate to Thailand one day (Im nearly 35) it could only be in BKK – because I love this city.

So last year I told my boss to prepare a plan to relocate me in an office of my company here (Chatuchak District).

During this year's vacation I told my tuk tuk friend to drive me around in order to extensively check out Saphan Khwai village, Ladprao area, Bang Sue etc (condos, grocery, eatery, shopping, entertainment)

So we did that 3 days long and every time when coming back I had a film of oil on my skin + inhaled more shit than in 5 years here in Germany.

I know that this a congested part of the city but since this area would have to be my new home it does not make things any better. 

Two other marking events of the last trip were

-a 14h travel, Si Sa ket to BKK with the bus  (train and plain were full) – admittedly it was after a Buddhist bank holiday and ill never make this mistake again ;)

-Also in BKK I once needed 2h from lumpini to banglampoo

The reason is clear for me: Everybody - and I mean literally everybody needs to own a car regardless if they actually can afford one or not.

Sometime they take a 10 year loan to get one. Its clearly a "face" thing - if you don’t own one you're a nobody and this is epidemic across Asia (china, cambo, laos, etc).

Only the viets are smart enough to stick to motorbikes. All my friends in BKK told me that traffic its getting worse every year.

Coming back home (I live in the center of a 350k peeps German city) on the first day the quality of life I enjoy here became apparent when I went from A to B in 10 min with my bicycle driving across the beautiful park

in the core of my city. Dunno why I didn’t rate this higher before.

I’m not a newb, I know that you need to use only the BTS, MRT, Chao Praya or klongs boats but still, its not possible for many areas and for somebody like me that like to move around

knowing that you can easily loose a third of your day in traffic jams + never knowing when you are finally going to reach your destination discouraged my conception of actually living in this city.

At least not now – maybe when I’ll retire? But then, I think, I would rather enjoy somewhere by the sea.. oh well :sleep:

Edited by Phatbeets
  • Like 1

Phatbeets    62

^ No question was asked -  Its just my assessment of an aspect of the city which sucks to the point that it became predominant for me.

zzaa09    324

Relocate to a deep countryside setting.

Problems and angst resolved.

Phatbeets    62

Angst?

So if you address & criticize something that translates to angst for you? Great logic.

My main point is the sentence highlighted in bold. anything to say about that?

NanLaew    7,738
1 hour ago, Phatbeets said:

Angst?

So if you address & criticize something that translates to angst for you? Great logic.

2 hours ago, Phatbeets said:

Everybody - and I mean literally everybody needs to own a car regardless if they actually can afford one or not.

You are almost right.

It should read "everybody needs to own a car regardless if they actually can afford one or not even need one.

NanLaew    7,738
1 hour ago, Phatbeets said:

Angst?

angst
äNG(k)st/
noun

1. a feeling of deep anxiety or dread, typically an unfocused one about the human condition or the state of the world in general.
    "adolescent angst"
    synonyms: anxiety, fear, apprehension, worry, foreboding, trepidation, malaise, disquiet, disquietude, unease, uneasiness
    "business leaders expressed their angst over war and recession"
    • informal
      a feeling of persistent worry about something trivial.
      "my hair causes me angst"

The OP does appear to embrace the informal use.

blackcab    1,660

To be fair tuk tuks are more for tourists than expats. Why would you put yourself through that experience when you could be sat inside an airconditioned taxi?

I drive in Bangkok on a daily basis, but I use the BTS aswell. If I'm near Sukhumvit and I want to get to Sathorn at rush hour I don't drive. I also have a motorbike, which is super convenient at certain times of the day.

• Like 2

tonray    4,569
3 hours ago, InMyShadow said:

I live in bangkok. Love it and just a few minutes stroll from Nana bts.

If the bts stopped to function I would be on the first flight out

Any westerners driving around here needs their head examined.

Needing a car here automatically disqualifies bangkok as a livable city

Yes. During a typical week I will travel by MRT/BTS , Bus, moto taxi, khlong boat, and river boat depending on where I am going. All part of Bangkok's charm IMHO. Don't drive...just foolish (as I sit in my GF's car in traffic...does not seem to phase here at all though.)

• Like 1

impulse    11,525
4 hours ago, Phatbeets said:

The reason is clear for me: Everybody - and I mean literally everybody needs to own a car regardless if they actually can afford one or not.

Sometime they take a 10 year loan to get one. Its clearly a "face" thing - if you don’t own one you're a nobody and this is epidemic across Asia (china, cambo, laos, etc).

Only the viets are smart enough to stick to motorbikes. All my friends in BKK told me that traffic its getting worse every year.

Given that 2 wheeled vehicles (even with a helmet) are 20-40 times more dangerous per km driven than a 4 wheeled vehicle, I'd debate anyone that holds them out to be the smarter mode of transport.   It's the economics of the scooter that makes them the transportation of necessity for most.  Not the wisdom.

And it's a little elitist to own a car and begrudge others the same safety and comfort of 4 wheels, seat belts, a steel frame and A/C.  It's not just a face thing.  They'd like to survive their next fender bender without losing a kneecap, or God forbid, their head.  And maybe arrive clean and dry, even in the BKK heat, dust and rain.  Not surprisingly, some folks are willing to go into debt to keep their family safer.

Rather than blame the locals for wanting a safe mode of transport, I'd point at the authorities for siphoning the money out of public transport, keeping dilapidated buses on the road, not enforcing the taxi regulations, allowing cars and scooters to park where they block traffic and generally shrugging off their responsibilities in favor of brown envelopes and an easy job doing...nothing.

Edited by impulse

samsensam    2,920

your tuk tuk friend? oh dear, you have so much to learn. you make too many generalised comments, relax, calm down, lower your expectations or you will never be able to live in bangkok or thailand

• Like 1

Phatbeets    62

^ So because he is a tuk tuk driver he is evil uh? lol ... yawn... he is my oldest friend in BKK and I trust him more than a lot of people and thats why I consider him a friend.

No doubt about the valid arguments you bring "impulse" but I find the traffic more fluid and the air cleaner in Saigon and pretty sure they have less

road accident compared to BKK (which isnt hard of course). The way they use their horn is particularly annoying but thats another story..

• Like 1