Jump to content
Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
webfact

Aussie father and son electrocuted to death in Rayong

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, decca60 said:

Everybody can make wrong decisions but here it appears this gentleman made a cumulation of wrong ones :

 

* went visibly into a place where there is a main electrical problem and wet conditions without having the necessary knowledge to fix it

* did not correctly protect/isolate himself before acting

*did not cut off power correctly before putting his hands in

*was with a  child into this dangerous area

* was probably not using isolated tools to work on this

And eventualy more deadly decisions.....

 

Sad  consequences . So sad

 

 

 

Oh my God! How can a farang make such terrible mistake, much less a multitude of them? After all he is a farang with superior education and common sense! Something is terribly wrong?

  • Confused 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If he was found with a spanner in hand then he was probably working on it live. Most of us are probably guilty of doing or attempting electrical work and should at the very least ensure the item being worked on is disconnected or positively isolated. If you are going to take the risk at least minimise the chances of electrocution. 

RIP old mate. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought abusinessn Pattaya building with 9 rental rooms. Couple weeks before i read 2 seperate deaths occured in 2 rental buildings, people electrocuted inthe shower. I had a good Thaifriend who got an electricial for me andtold him to check all the shower  water heaters to make sure they were allearthed. None of themwere so i got him to earth the lot, forpeace of mind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A post in all caps removed.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, davethailand said:

Very sad, In my old house in Pattaya, I put in quite a few new sockets and lights etc and also had a few buzzes in the past doing so.

Just after moving in I said to my wife that I was going change the wiring and put in a fuse board as there was only one main breaker, after looking in the loft at the wiring I decided against it, It was all over the place but working. In the end I put a better breaker in and also separate breakers on the outside/ metal stuff plus earth rods.

RIP to the family. :sad:

well i hope you measured your grounding rods, it's quite a special way to do it. If the resistance is to big, you have a fake safety.

If you read some, you see about 3 ohm. You have to drive the rods probably many (10-30 meters) meters. All depending on

where is the water or moist ground. If resistance is higher, you still get electrocuted. Also your rod can corrode and change the resistance, aswell depending on high low water level in groundwater. So better to do in period of dry weather.

 

You can forget grounding, if:

 

If you put in the best breakers, they are concluded with a differential switch, so called automats.

If that device measure a difference between live and neutral bigger then 30 ma. It will switch off, coz you have a powerloss.

Also then if the max value for wiring ,16 a or less depending on your choice of automat, in your house is exceeded (shortcut) then it will shut off. Also considder there are breakers with different charasterics, the B characteristic is the best and safest for home. It is on the index of the breaker, like B16.  PIC 1

 

Ofcourse if it is reaching 16 A ( or any value you choose), it shuts down. This is not with nr 2, as you combine it with a seperate breaker. The max amps through the differential switch nr 2 is 40 A and showed on index. But it will not shut down at 40 A.

SO if you need more power (?),  you need  a second one and split the groups (breakers).

 

You also can have just one seperated but for all groups. Then just one device is needed over all groups, but then you have to find the group later in which is the problem (powerloss). It will be in serie with all your breakers. Its cheaper, but never the less it is very save for you and also shuts down at 30 mA. There are also higher in mA like 40 mA, but NOT TO BE USED FOR PERSONAL SAFETY.

30 mA is about the value of amps the heart can take without being killed. However all again also depends on personal heath.

PIC 2

 

For the man and son its too late, working with power on is not quite good option "unless" you are experienced and f**** know what you are doing. One slip, no differential switch and you can wind up ... dead in milli seconds !!

pic1.jpg

pic2.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, saakura said:

Oh my God! How can a farang make such terrible mistake, much less a multitude of them? After all he is a farang with superior education and common sense! Something is terribly wrong?

wrong education

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, saakura said:

Oh my God! How can a farang make such terrible mistake, much less a multitude of them? After all he is a farang with superior education and common sense! Something is terribly wrong?

 

yes it's called thai electrical 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What an awful tragedy but a reminder that nanny states have regulations for a reason. Electrical work may seem simple but it is not, earthing is critical but usually ignored in the third world.

RIP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Absolutely EVERY time I work on anything electrical I isolate the area to be worked on from the power grid. Electricity is the worst, you can,t hear it, you can.t smell it, you have absolutely no knowledge until it is too late !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Absolutely EVERY time I work on anything electrical I isolate the area to be worked on from the power grid. Electricity is the worst, you can,t hear it, you can.t smell it, you have absolutely no knowledge until it is too late !

Such a sad story PIP. Hope the other son gets the help he will need.


Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hmmmm......electricity and Thailand seems so often to be a lethal combination...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always used Dell and IBM  (Lenovo) laptops at work, in a company that just had their electrical systems revamped. I'm not exactly sure why, but I would often get small shocks and sudden subtle hot spots when touching the corners my laptops while working.

Electricity in Thailand is scary

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, saakura said:

What he said??:saai:

<deleted> WT fork did he say 555

Edited by drgoon
Grammar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

BANGKOK 21 November 2017 06:04
Sponsors
×