Technical Difficulties Read more... ×
BANGKOK 18 December 2018 18:46
rooster59

PM aims to turn Northeast into ‘Mekong economic hub’

PM aims to turn Northeast into ‘Mekong economic hub’

By THE SUNDAY NATION

927acb489a8a6a7403adc963f773d91d.jpeg

THE GOVERNMENT has its eyes set on developing the Northeast to become the “Mekong economic hub”, Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha said yesterday, ahead of a mobile Cabinet meeting to be held in the region.

He said his government aims to develop the Northeast to become the economic hub of the Greater Mekong Sub-region by solving existing problems and developing new projects, the National News Bureau of Thailand reported.

Greater Mekong Sub-region consists of Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar, Thailand, Vietnam and China’s Yunnan and Guangxi Zhuang provinces.

The Cabinet is scheduled to convene its mobile meeting tomorrow and on Tuesday in Nakhon Ratchasima, which is seen as a regional gateway and the centre of the Lower Northeast, Government Spokesman Lt-General Sansern Kaewkamnerd said.

The meeting would focus on projects like integrated water management, support of economic activities and agriculture, improving the quality of life of the locals, increasing organic farming and processing, developing eco-tourism, and expanding the One Tambon, One Product (OTOP) entrepreneurial scheme.

Nakhon Ratchasima, in particular, would be chosen for future development to make it a hub of both industry and agriculture, the spokesman said.

A high-speed train would connect the city to Bangkok as well as to the Eastern Economic Corridor, a grand development project of the government in the East, he said.

Sansern, who is also the Public Relations Department director general, has been in the spotlight in the past few days after he outlined a plan asking for “cooperation” from the media to report on the Cabinet trip. Some members of the media viewed this as “regulating and interfering” with their public responsibilities.

Samsern asked them to produce scoops on ministers and provide recordings to the PRD-affiliated National Broadcasting Services of Thailand. Some media outlets withdrew from the plan.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30324333

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-08-20

4 minutes ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Well, that is sorted.

Why didn't anyone else think of 'solving existing problems and developing new projects'?

Well, don't get your hopes up. 

Only talk, which is all we should expect.

Any development in the region that might come about won't benefit the region or the people.

Bet on it.

• Like 1

So will Nakhon Ratchatsima now become the new capital, as Krung Thep sinks slowly into the rising-seas, or floods ? :whistling:

• Like 2

Here's a story for you, 4 years ago i have invested in transport's related properties

in KK under the premise, prediction and plans of the local admin. to develop the area

to be a 'hub of commerce', cut a long and sad story short, 4 years later, my properties

are far away from being used for what they have been planned for, the whole

area is deserted and neglected because the KK admin. could not convince the

people to make the move to the new hub,,

I hope the PM will have better luck than us who invested heavily in the future

of the N. East and lost....

13 minutes ago, Dobredin Ghusputin said:

Nothing worng with its current status of laokhao hub.

Maybe he meant Mekhong whiskey hub.

More Hub-bub.

Maybe they could form a committee, or seven, to work on this "plan"? There must be one or two Thais not serving on committee presently?

Edited by mtls2005

Here's a story for you, 4 years ago i have invested in transport's related properties
in KK under the premise, prediction and plans of the local admin. to develop the area
to be a 'hub of commerce', cut a long and sad story short, 4 years later, my properties
are far away from being used for what they have been planned for, the whole
area is deserted and neglected because the KK admin. could not convince the
people to make the move to the new hub,,
I hope the PM will have better luck than us who invested heavily in the future
of the N. East and lost....

Ever considered that your product might have been unappealing and uncompetitive and perhaps badly thought through? It is not the responsibility of the KK admin to convince people to move anywhere.It's a market and you couldn't compete.Learn from it.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app