Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
webfact

Two Germans killed in Samui road accident, Russian charged

Posted (edited)

Unfortunately cars always win over motorcycles in accidents but in the opposite spectrum in most cases (for some illogical reason of the association of motorcyclists as poorer kin and unable to bear any accountability) vehicle drivers are often slapped with fines and being judged the guilty party.   

Personally I'd rather be guilty then dead.  RIP to the two unfortunate young men.  Motorcycles and driving in Thailand do not bode well.

Edited by smileydude
  • Like 1

Unless I missed something, it seems the Germans on the bike entered the Russian's lane in an attempt to overtake the pickup and smashed head on into Russian. 

If so, how can the Russian be charged? 

It's just a formality. Doesn't mean He is guilty but that's just how the thai justice system works

• Like 1

1 hour ago, catman20 said:

thats the way i read it also

How?

Because they can and they do.

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Whenever there is an Road Traffic Accident which involves a death it is normal procedure in Thailand to automatically charge the surviving driver with 'Reckless Driving Causing Death'...  

Thats why it's important to drive here with 1st Class insurance with a 200,000 baht bail bond. These charges are often later dropped when it is proven the driver is not at fault. 

That said, it would be extremely concerning for someone in such a situation, I'm sure many BiB have profited from such concern in the past. 

As a car driver in a crash with a motorbike or bicycle, you're being hit with some legalese about driving the deadlier vehicle, which makes you (sort of) liable for wrongful death even if it wasn't your fault. Sorry, I'm not a legal expert and I tried googling the relevant details, but didn't come up with anything sensible. Anyone knows more?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, docshock13 said:

Unless I missed something, it seems the Germans on the bike entered the Russian's lane in an attempt to overtake the pickup and smashed head on into Russian. 

Because there can be no tea money from the Germans

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, AsiaCheese said:

As a car driver in a crash with a motorbike or bicycle, you're being hit with some legalese about driving the deadlier vehicle, which makes you (sort of) liable for wrongful death even if it wasn't your fault. Sorry, I'm not a legal expert and I tried googling the relevant details, but didn't come up with anything sensible. Anyone knows more?

I too have been told this. The larger and therefore 'deadlier' vehicle is always held at fault initially until all facts are presented. Strange but true.

1 hour ago, smileydude said:

Unfortunately cars always win over motorcycles in accidents but in the opposite spectrum in most cases (for some illogical reason of the association of motorcyclists as poorer kin and unable to bear any accountability) vehicle drivers are often slapped with fines and being judged the guilty party.   

Personally I'd rather be guilty then dead.  RIP to the two unfortunate young men.  Motorcycles and driving in Thailand do not bode well.

I dunno mate. I sorta had a win. The car didn't survive but I did (just) ?

IMG_3084.JPG.58f9cece2575ce16db51d1907ed9eb41.JPG

IMG_3074.thumb.JPG.789a801a97855d98b757be34bc23c256.JPG

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, MadMuhammad said:

I too have been told this. The larger and therefore 'deadlier' vehicle is always held at fault initially until all facts are presented. Strange but true.

I dunno mate. I sorta had a win. The car didn't survive but I did (just) ?

IMG_3084.JPG.58f9cece2575ce16db51d1907ed9eb41.JPG

IMG_3074.thumb.JPG.789a801a97855d98b757be34bc23c256.JPG

Yikes, that's the kind of win I'd rather not have.  Glad you made it through mate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Dave67 said:

he was charged for driving on the correct side of the road very dangerous when no one else does that

he was charged for being there if he would have stayed in Russia this wouldn't have happened 

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, smileydude said:

Yikes, that's the kind of win I'd rather not have.  Glad you made it through mate.

Yeah it was a bit of a mess. Fractured skull, subdural haemotoma, acquired brain injury, fractured cheek and sinuses ($1200 full face helmet), brachial plexus injury (arm movement coming back now), sucking chest wound (punctured lung), fractured all my ribs, bruised heart, ruptured spleen, traumatic hernia, 3 fractured vertebrae, fractured left knee, fractured and penetrated left ankle.

2 weeks in a coma and 3 months in a brain injury ward. I still take it as a win though! ?

'Thanks for the kind thought 

Edited by MadMuhammad
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, mark01 said:

Charging people without even considering the facts, contributes to why so many hit-and-run in this country.

The headline is grossly inaccurate. Nobody has been charged with anything (yet).

"Koh Samui Police chief Paitoon Krachachang said police were weighing possible charges against Belikov but had yet to make a decision."

6 hours ago, docshock13 said:

I have heard (don't know if it's true) that in any accident involving a car and a motorbike the car driver is always to blame. Seems to me that the Russian was innocent.

Ummmm......so Koh Samui is trying to take the number 1 title from Phuket now.

6 hours ago, docshock13 said:

Its my understanding they normally charge and hold everyone until the court case, to decide culpability. In this case they cannot. So the Russian remains a suspect, until proven.